WoWArmory Facebook Application Closing

Community Manager
We're in the process of deploying a new, open World of Warcraft Web API, which among other functions will provide a more fully-featured replacement for the existing WoWArmory website. Over the past few months we’ve been working with our partners and fansites to help them migrate away from using WoWArmory.com, and on August 2 we will decommission it, as well as the WoWArmory Facebook application.

When the Facebook application is turned off, users who installed it will no longer see it in their list of Facebook applications. They will also no longer have the ability to access Facebook pages that were associated with the application, and all news feed entries created by it will be removed.

Our hope is that through the new Web API, we can encourage a broad range of community-created features like the WoWArmory application, and are excited to see what else can be done by opening this information up to application and website developers. If you have any questions or comments about this change, please refer to our World of Warcraft Community Platform API forum here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/2626217/
Edited by Zarhym on 7/19/2011 6:58 PM PDT
46 Night Elf Hunter
DARN IT!
85 Night Elf Druid
Sounds awesome!
90 Gnome Death Knight
Translation: "Whatever. You guys do it."
Edited by Gnanika on 7/19/2011 7:17 PM PDT
73 Tauren Paladin
I liked the Facebook application, though...
85 Night Elf Death Knight
What about the armory iphone app? Does that mean we can't use mobile AH and guild chat too? And if the app is closing too, will we be charged for premium stuff still?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
07/19/2011 07:18 PMPosted by Eliassan
What about the armory iphone app? Does that mean we can't use mobile AH and guild chat too? And if the app is closing too, will we be charged for premium stuff still?

Only the Facebook app is going offline. I imagine the iPhone and Android apps are already updated to run on the new API or if not, a new update will be released before August 2nd when WoWArmory.com goes offline.
Edited by Simca on 7/19/2011 7:54 PM PDT
90 Tauren Death Knight
well with the new api fully not out i think there iphone app would have a update soon
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
That Sucks. I Really Liked The Facebook App :(
85 Blood Elf Paladin
/Looks at Facebook
/Looks at new API

"But..Bu...Bu..."

/Throws hands up in distress

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"
90 Draenei Death Knight
Wait wait wait. So you're releasing the coding language for users to do what they want with it, but you're not actually going to be providing a replacement for WoW Armory when it's "decomissioned"? Because that sounds to me like you're opening up a can of worms for account and information hacking and scams by not providing an official, secure, protected character database. If I'm understanding this situation correctly, please reconsider this situation from the standpoint of our account security.
90 Night Elf Druid
07/19/2011 07:11 PMPosted by Gnanika
Translation: "Whatever. You guys do it."
Would you rather Blizzard do it and charge $5 a month to access the service?

Just sayin'...
85 Human Paladin

Just sayin'...

uh, yeah i would....

just sayin'
87 Human Rogue
07/19/2011 09:11 PMPosted by Gilarin
Wait wait wait. So you're releasing the coding language for users to do what they want with it, but you're not actually going to be providing a replacement for WoW Armory when it's "decomissioned"? Because that sounds to me like you're opening up a can of worms for account and information hacking and scams by not providing an official, secure, protected character database. If I'm understanding this situation correctly, please reconsider this situation from the standpoint of our account security.

Yeah, this.

Because once the wowarmory.com is gone, and people flock to some fan alternative like... wowheadarmory.com. When you've got hundreds of thousands of users flowing through that like the official armory, then the site gets hacked or the owner just goes full jerkwad and a keylogger is put on it, then good game everyone.
88 Troll Hunter
This is a dumb idea. Please reconsider.
90 Tauren Warrior
from what i could see, the facebook app barely even worked after cata was released, nothing posted to feeds like it use to, which for me was the whole point of having the facebook app connection in the first place. it was sad to see it not work after the release...

that being said, i will agree with other posters that this will need to be tread over very carefully... id hate to see a heading one day that said helpful app turns out to be a huge hoax and keys logged like crazy...
85 Orc Mage
Half the people posting didn't read the post or can't distinguish a facebook app from the armory...
85 Orc Hunter
Hasn't wowarmory been down for a while now? ...
Edited by Psî on 7/20/2011 4:43 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid

Just sayin'...

uh, yeah i would....

just sayin'
Uh... and your reasoning? Uh uh uh?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]