Guild Rank Names

85 Night Elf Druid
First I want to say the API is wonderful improvement over previous methods used to get this data.

I am not sure exactly where how how the rank name detail is stored for WoW, however one thing that I have always had to struggle with is that the names associated with every guild rank needs to be stored locally in my code base. Is there any possibility of adding an option to the guild search to display a list of ranks with their associated names? This may seem like a small issue, however for anyone who has had to manually update a code base when an in game rank has been changed would see the use of this.

Something along the lines of

GET /api/wow/guild/Medivh/Roll%20the%20Dice?fields=ranks
Host: us.battle.net

{
"ranks":[
{
"id":0,
"name":"Guild Master",
},
{
"id":1,
"name":"Officer",
}
]
}
Edited by Thisnthat on 7/20/2011 9:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I doubt they will add something like this because currently you have to be in the guild to see the rank names. What I did for my guild roster page was set up a switch() which you could edit for the names. This would be fairly simple to edit for even someone implementing your code without any PHP knowledge.

switch ($member["rank"])
{
case "0" : $rank = "Guild Master";
break;
case "1" : $rank = "Officer";
break;
case "2" : $rank = "Occifer";
break;
case "3" : $rank = "Muted";
break;
case "4" : $rank = "Raider";
break;
case "5" : $rank = "Member";
break;
}
Edited by Huld on 7/20/2011 10:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
07/20/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Huld
I doubt they will add something like this because currently you have to be in the guild to see the rank names.

I think you can set the in-game mouseover tooltips to show the custom guild ranks of any friendly character.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

I think you can set the in-game mouseover tooltips to show the custom guild ranks of any friendly character.

This is true -- Tool tips in game can display the rank text
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
I hereby +1 this request, but I imagine that if it were actually possible, then guild pages on the 'armory' would display rank names instead of just "Rank 1" "Rank 2"

If it IS just a masking for privacy sake thing, it's strange given that you can indeed view the rank name of any player you see in-game, with a little UI customization of course.

(Also while we're requesting things, where's the guild news feed API? :P)
Edited by Garriçk on 7/21/2011 1:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ah, but just remember, once you're in game, you ARE authenticated. So you're privy to more data than someone who hasn't necessarily given a single penny to Blizzard.

So far, Guild Rank Name's been the worst thing I can't get out of the API. Well, next to my own guild, but that's another thread.

There's certainly more info I'd love to be able to get from the API, even if I have to auth myself via my account to get it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]