Fullscreen support for WoW in Lion?

90 Human Mage
Hi! First post on the boards, I'm a big time Mac wow player.

With the release of Lion, and Mission Control, 3 finger swipes on magic mice / trackpads allow you to sweep through your apps in fullscreen. It is really cool and i would love to see WoW support this. When you switch to fullscreen currently, you can no longer swipe to different apps. Help us out mac team!
Edited by Aardvark on 7/20/2011 3:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm also anxiously awaiting this ability!! I'm loving Lion right now. As well, perhaps use the API to reverse scrolling if people have natural scrolling enabled?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Works if you use Windowed (Fullscreen) mode.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Having the new lion fullscreen button at the top to fully integrate into the new system would be amazing, with this feature it is then easy to switch between screens than the whole screen being taken over by WoW on 1 desktop.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
this feature would fail on so many levels, as convinient as you think it would be trust me you'd be raging if you accidentally swiped out of window during a boss fight or something.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Shaman
It would be cool.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Shaman
07/24/2011 09:01 PMPosted by Omegal
this feature would fail on so many levels, as convinient as you think it would be trust me you'd be raging if you accidentally swiped out of window during a boss fight or something.

It would be almost impossible to accidentally 3 finger swipe while using a mouse. I haven't even done it while using the trackpad.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

...how?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Posted by Omegal

I think what the awesome Omegal is trying to say is that it seams cool and all, but can cause some frustration. I know personally I use a multi button mouse that has some actions keybound to the buttons. One thing is Auto run. I have it set up on Mouse button 4 in game, but on the OS X side i have the same button mapped for F11 (show desktop).

This is annoying if I have to be in windowed or windowed (fullscreen), which I have to be allot while I am at work. I have done it during raids, and it will make you want to chunk something at someone. And for safety purposes, it would not be good to do so.

If the game allowed Fullscreen support, allot of people would see it as a annoyance more than a blessing. Now I am not saying that it would not be an option in the future, just giving you my point of view.

Keep up the awesome job guys, we would not be as epic if it was not for great posters like you.

Klint P
ATS - Mac Tech

The Restrooms are for paying customers only.

Cannot find a resolution on the forums, contact a Support Rep directly:

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html

https://www.surveymk.com/s/TKL88F8
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Awesome! I didn't even think of Windowed (Fullscreen) now I can hide my wow playing from the wife again! Juuust kidding. Multiple desktops on Lion are great.
Reply Quote
64 Worgen Death Knight

I disagree. That's like saying windowed mode would "fail on so many levels" because you can EXIT, or lose focus of your wow window. While that COULD happen, and it might on accident sometimes, that doesn't give remove it's usefulness. Yes, you COULD swipe out, but coming from someone who uses the new full screen apps, and spaces, I can tell you that I don't accidentally swipe from one space to the next. Plus, if I do swipe out for a second, it's only a quick swipe back.

I think what the awesome Omegal is trying to say is that it seams cool and all, but can cause some frustration. I know personally I use a multi button mouse that has some actions keybound to the buttons. One thing is Auto run. I have it set up on Mouse button 4 in game, but on the OS X side i have the same button mapped for F11 (show desktop).

This is annoying if I have to be in windowed or windowed (fullscreen), which I have to be allot while I am at work. I have done it during raids, and it will make you want to chunk something at someone. And for safety purposes, it would not be good to do so.

If the game allowed Fullscreen support, allot of people would see it as a annoyance more than a blessing. Now I am not saying that it would not be an option in the future, just giving you my point of view.

That makes sense, but you're also assuming that full screen apps can't fully capture your keyboard and mouse inputs. A full screen app is able to capture focus from your mouse without passing that along to normal system functions...just like wow does in full screen mode now. The difference is just using the built in api for making your full screen app use spaces and allow gestures to swipe in and out of that space. So think of it as full screen mode now + the ability to swipe left or right for different apps.

I for one would LOVE to see this built into wow. I rather use full screen mode, but sometimes when I need to be able to switch to different windows (vent, itunes, safari) I have to keep it in windowed mode so I can use swipes to move to different apps/spaces. I would LOVE to have wow in full screen mode and be able to swipe to safari or itunes (which also run in full screen) or do a different space.

I know that this might not be the best for everyone, but you should at least make in a option for those who do.
Reply Quote
64 Worgen Death Knight
http://chpwn.com/apps/maximizer.html

This plugin for SIMBL allows you to add full screen support to apps that don't have it build-in yet. I haven't tested it for using a multi-button mouse, so I can't attest to that, but I CAN tell you that it works exactly like I wanted! After you install SIMBL and the maximizer bundle, it adds the "full screen" button to any app that doesn't have it already. Just go in windowed mode in wow, and you will see the new full screen button.

Now, I hope we can get this natively built in, so I don't have to use this workaround. but until then, this is the way to go!

Edit:
After using if for a few mins, it seems that it might still technically be in "windowed mode" while in full screen because of how SIMBL works...though it does work 100% as I would hope (I'm not using a multi button mouse, so I don't care), it MIGHT not work correctly with those using a mouse as described in the blue post. If anyone has one and cares to test it out, then let us know. This is something that can be controlled if it was hard coded in, and not using this general plugin.
Edited by Seckspun on 8/7/2011 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
http://chpwn.com/apps/maximizer.html

This plugin for SIMBL allows you to add full screen support to apps that don't have it build-in yet. I haven't tested it for using a multi-button mouse, so I can't attest to that, but I CAN tell you that it works exactly like I wanted! After you install SIMBL and the maximizer bundle, it adds the "full screen" button to any app that doesn't have it already. Just go in windowed mode in wow, and you will see the new full screen button.

Interesting.

If you're going to do this make sure you grab version 0.9.9 of SIMBL as the older versions have been known to crash on Lion.

http://www.culater.net/software/SIMBL/SIMBL.php

http://code.google.com/p/simbl/issues/list

Is their bugtracker and it looks like they are aware of Lion being out and the need to update for it.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
windowed mode does fail, bad. Lion has issues sharing input with apps. in windowed mode wow is far less responsive and system functions bug out game ones. IE sometimes when you press and hold a key instead of triggering just key down in game it triggers key repeat in OS and causes you to get stuck running one direction for example. This is cause it's using the OS behavior in windowed mode not the game behavior it would noramlly use in full screen mode. The OS honors a lot more game events in full screen mode cause certain events are coded to supress in that situation. Even 3rd party frameworks supress in full screen mode, such as growl notifications. Which again can can cause even fps drops when the overlay is rendered on top of game window when a growl notice pops up. I have found in general the game is more esponsive to input devices, better fps, and supresses a lot of garbage in true full screenmode. Lions full screen is NOT true full screen mode, it's essencially a windowed mode zoomed over the screen. I do not feel a game in this mode would be functionally nearly as smooth.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
I think Lion has degenerated Omegal's brain to the point of him no longer being able to create paragraphs. We must fight Apple and make it stoooooooooooop! :D
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
First, I use windowed mode a lot...even before I found this app, and I've never had the issues you're speaking of. After using this app for the last few I can say, I haven't noticed any differences other than being able to swipe in and out of wow, which I love.

Maybe for whatever reason, this isn't for you...or maybe it isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there as an option for people who like it. This is one of my favorite new features in Lion.
windowed mode does fail...
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
/borat

Very nice.

Although having played windowed mode for years this takes some getting used to. How do you get it out of full screen mode once full screened ?

-____- it went a little crazy when i went to switch in and out of windowed mode using Apple-M. Had a really low rez on my huge 27 inch monitor selected.
Edited by Bluspacecow on 8/9/2011 1:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Windowed mode maximized is what I use. Works great. Allows swipes in and out. I just keep WoW on Space 4 (4 of 4) and never had a problem with lag, key repeats, swiping out on accident (MacBook Pro with external mouse so I just reach over and swipe when needed).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
/borat

Very nice.

Although having played windowed mode for years this takes some getting used to. How do you get it out of full screen mode once full screened ?

-____- it went a little crazy when i went to switch in and out of windowed mode using Apple-M. Had a really low rez on my huge 27 inch monitor selected.

If you're using the Lion full screen button, move your mouse all the way to the top, and the menu bar will show, and on the far right, there is another full screen button you can push to return to normal windowed mode.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
08/08/2011 12:01 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
I think Lion has degenerated Omegal's brain to the point of him no longer being able to create paragraphs. We must fight Apple and make it stoooooooooooop! :D

I think Omegal is fine! Look at this beauty he posted the other day (totally unrelated):

I believe i've isolated the catalist in this problem. It's none other then adobe flash (big flipping surprise there, flash breaking stuff).
Edited by Phine on 8/10/2011 2:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]