Guild Leveling Tips post 4.2

70 Draenei Paladin
With the release of Patch 4.2 Firelands, I formed a new raid guild. We were immediately faced with the daunting task of leveling this guild up and recruiting members. How was a small handful of us going to be able to do this?

My members pondered that it would take us literally forever to be able to level up our guild. Perhaps you've thought about making a new guild and wondered this yourself? One member even came to me one night stressing how much we needed to recruit more players to help the guild level up to make it more desirable to raiders. I was adamant when I replied to him how this would in fact not be an issue, and that I did not want to compromise our recruitment standards for guildship in order to, 'flood our ranks with perk farmers that would give us perks that real raiders didn't care about anyways.' I reiterated how recruiting quality over quantity would prove more fruitful in the long run and each level we acquired more meaningful to us all.

He remained unconvinced and doubtful until he saw how quickly we could blow through old heroics and still receive the same guild challenge reward. Then the night we did our first guild raid challenge, many others like him, were dumbfounded at the substantial amount of guild XP we acquired from each raid boss we downed. Instead of nibbling at the bar with dailies and heroics, we were now filling half a bar with each raid boss, yes each boss, not a full raid clear. Ka-BAM!

Today being July 21st, the guild is 3 weeks and 1 day old. It currently has 11 active max level toons, but started with 6 (5 players, 6 toons). The guild is currently level 3 and 1 bar away from level 4. It took us 1.5 weeks to get to level 2, a week to get level 3, and now... now we are ripping thru the guild experience at an incredible rate hitting our cap in 1-2 days. Tonight we'll find out for certain if guild challenges allow us to exceed the weekly max as they've indicated. If so, we'll be level 4 tonight after downing 2 farm bosses, and over halfway to level 5 before reset.

How in god's name are we leveling so fast with so few people you wonder? Well I'll tell you.

Tip #1: Starting a new guild is best after the release of a new content patch, because there will be new dailies and new faction reputations to grind. These feed directly into your guild exp and you don't even have to motivate people to do these. This is how you get the ball rolling.

Tip #2: Each dungeon challenge rewards 300k guild experience. You do not have to be max level to do this, and in fact if you are 70's or 80's blowing out BC or Wrath dungeons respectively, it is an incredible way to power your guild up.

Tip #3: The old heroic dungeons reward the heroic dungeon achieve just like the ZA/ZG ones do, there is no difference in guild XP reward. So it is more advantageous to do the old ones, which take about 40% of the time the ZA/ZG ones do. In other words, blow thru the old heroics like butter and knock out your guild dungeon challenges in substantially less time.

Tip #4: This is the big one, and this is how you're going to really power the bejesus out your guild once you get just enough key members. Guild Raid challenges. You only get 1 gold reward for this per week (after level 5 guild), but you can keep getting the guild exp reward every time you down a raid boss with a guild raid. All you need is 8 people and go rip through T11 content, and you power up your guild. Each boss will reward approx 1/2 a bar for guild XP. So doing BWD will result in essentially maximizing your weekly requirement. Even Argaloth in BH counts as a raid challenge if you do it with 8 guildies.

Plus with the recent hotfix, you're even contributing to your weekly VP grind. This means doing old heroics and the old T11 raids is going to quickly max out your VP and your guild achievements.

The days of having to recruit 50 random guildies to power up your guild and assure you've acquired the sufficient guild XP per week are long dead. As has been regularly suggested on these forums, having a small strong core is the secret to new guild leveling success. All you need is 3 people for heroic achieves, and 8 for guild raid challenges.

This is the secret to my current success. Recruiting Quality over Quantity. Do so and pretty soon your guild levels will start taking off like a rocket too.
Edited by Deathpony on 8/2/2011 6:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
This is a fantastic post and great information for anyone in a guild or looking to start a new one.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for the advice! I made the big leap a month ago to start my own guild. It started with 3 people and slowly growing but we got it to 7! I believe in quality and quantity as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Tried to sticky, we'll see what happens. I did at least thumbs up it. <grin>
Reply Quote
60 Orc Hunter
After reading the bonus to XP I recently realized the same thing--this is a good write-up of it.

Does anyone know how hard it is to knock out 3 rated battlegrounds a week? Or how many guildies have to be in it?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
For a 10 person rated battleground, you need 8 guildies for it to count; for a 15 person, you need 12. per http://www.wowpedia.org/Guild_Advancement

I don't know how hard/easy it might be to get 3 rated battlegrounds a week; we don't do much PvP in my guild, and most of what we do have is for Arenas (and I wasn't involved in that).
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warrior
Guild started in April/March 2011, 12-13 people have leveled it from 1-18 (almost 19) since then.

It is hard to recruit for a 10 man core with such limited spots. Rather than filling up with terrible players, or players who didn't share the same interest we just took it upon ourselves.

However catching 10,000 fish for the feast is harder than most raid bosses.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

However catching 10,000 fish for the feast is harder than most raid bosses.

Amen to this...Especially with a small guild (read, about 12 people) who don't like to fish!

This was a great read and gives me hope :) With the usual people our raids made up losing interest in raiding or wow I am having to recruit more and leveling seemed so daunting. Thanks for the pick me up.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
It's a nice guide, Death, and a good read.

But I'd hesitate to request a sticky. While it's valuable information in the short term, in a few months, it's going to be outdated.

Very worth linking to when threads pop up in the meantime, though! :)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
But I'd hesitate to request a sticky. While it's valuable information in the short term, in a few months, it's going to be outdated.

How will this become outdated? 3 patches from now

Tip #3: The old heroic dungeons reward the heroic dungeon achieve just like the BIG DUNGEON ones do, there is no difference in guild XP reward. So it is more advantageous to do the old ones, which take about 40% of the time the BIG DUNGEON ones do. In other words, blow thru the old heroics like butter and knock out your guild dungeon achieves in substantially less time.

Tip #4: This is the big one, and this is how you're going to really power the bejesus out your guild once you get just enough key members. Guild Raid achievements. You only get 1 gold reward for this per week (after level 5 guild), but you can keep getting the guild exp reward every time you down a raid boss with a guild raid. All you need is 8 people and go rip through THE TIER BEHIND THE CURRENT content, and you power up your guild. Each boss will reward approx 1/2 a bar for guild XP. So doing LAST TIER will result in essentially maximizing your weekly requirement. Even A BOSS LIKE IN BH counts as a raid achievement if you do it with 8 guildies.

The current tier might get outdated but the basic principle will stay the same.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Thank you so much for all the great tips. I have just recently started a guild on my server and was looking for just this type of information! Glad you decided to share. Thanks again!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

Tip #4: This is the big one, and this is how you're going to really power the bejesus out your guild once you get just enough key members. Guild Raid achievements. You only get 1 gold reward for this per week (after level 5 guild), but you can keep getting the guild exp reward every time you down a raid boss with a guild raid. All you need is 8 people and go rip through T11 content, and you power up your guild. Each boss will reward approx 1/2 a bar for guild XP. So doing BWD will result in essentially maximizing your weekly requirement. Even Argaloth in BH counts as a raid achievement if you do it with 8 guildies.

Are you sure about this?
As far as I know - and I'm not 100% sure, we hit 25 a while back so I can't verify - but as far as I could tell we would get the gold reward and the three million XP only once per week. After that first guild kill we would gain XP (the normal amount for raiding in a guild group, I believe it is something like 72000 per person per boss) but not an additional three million.
Possibly I'm just misreading here but it sounds like you're saying you get three million bonus XP per boss. I'm reasonably sure that's not the case.
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Paladin

Tip #4: This is the big one, and this is how you're going to really power the bejesus out your guild once you get just enough key members. Guild Raid achievements. You only get 1 gold reward for this per week (after level 5 guild), but you can keep getting the guild exp reward every time you down a raid boss with a guild raid. All you need is 8 people and go rip through T11 content, and you power up your guild. Each boss will reward approx 1/2 a bar for guild XP. So doing BWD will result in essentially maximizing your weekly requirement. Even Argaloth in BH counts as a raid achievement if you do it with 8 guildies.

Are you sure about this?
As far as I know - and I'm not 100% sure, we hit 25 a while back so I can't verify - but as far as I could tell we would get the gold reward and the three million XP only once per week. After that first guild kill we would gain XP (the normal amount for raiding in a guild group, I believe it is something like 72000 per person per boss) but not an additional three million.
Possibly I'm just misreading here but it sounds like you're saying you get three million bonus XP per boss. I'm reasonably sure that's not the case.

I can't remember what the exact experience number is, but roughly translated it is about 9-10% of your guild XP bar per boss at the lower guild levels. The challenge is to kill 1 raid boss as a guild per week, and you get gold for that one in addition to the guild xp, after that you still get guild xp per boss.

This was actually designed when T11 was the only content, so it was a big deal, but now that T11 has been nerfed and turned into farm, it is being a huge boon to new raid guilds.

Even if you have reached your guild maximum experinece for the day, guild challenges will still reward their full guild exp and surpass the daily limitation. The daily guild exp cap seems to now only apply to quests, such as dailies. So it is actually best to have your guildies do their FL dailies first, and then knock out various challenges.

Edit: Case in point, started a guild on the 29th of June, it just hit level 6 two days ago. Another way to look at it is, I started this thread July 21st when the guild was level 3, just shy of level 4, and in 10 days it went up approx 2.4 more guild levels. So in less than 5 weeks it has reached level 6. Would definitely be higher if we did more 5man heroics together, since they reward 450k guild exp.
Edited by Deathpony on 8/2/2011 6:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Might want to call it "guild challenge" instead of "achievement" - just so it's clear for people. The guild challenges are the once a week raid boss, 7 dungeons and 3 rated BGs, and they are EXCELLENT for leveling guilds :)
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Paladin
08/02/2011 04:04 PMPosted by Katalya
Might want to call it "guild challenge" instead of "achievement" - just so it's clear for people. The guild challenges are the once a week raid boss, 7 dungeons and 3 rated BGs, and they are EXCELLENT for leveling guilds :)

Oh good catch. I kept saying 'achievements' instead of 'challenges'. Thanks for pointing that out. I went back and edited them to use the correct word. Mucho appreciated. =^)
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
It's a nice guide, Death, and a good read.

Very worth linking to when threads pop up in the meantime, though! :)

I agree. This is very valuable info for guilds trying to build a "new" guild in this new guild leveling system; however, very soon this will be outdated.

I know you have a special spot in your heart for "stickied" posts. But whether this get sticked or not it is very useful and I hope many ppl read it.
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Paladin
Didn't actually intend for this to be a sticky guide, but rather, just a positive thread that might have sparked similar conversations, and one regulars would like bookmark or something. Then just link it to folks coming here in a response whenever it would be appropriate. For example when folks come here asking for advice/tips for starting up a new guild. That sort of thing.

I believe there was a conversation some of us had in another thread about sticky's in these forums, and someone mentioned they'd try and get this stickied, but I think that was more of a test to see if a theory about getting things stickied here would work or not. They might have been indicating the other thread I did, which was a repost of Zosima's previous sticky thread, that to this day has not been re-sticky'd despite blizzard's own remarks on the subject of doing so.

So yeah, just boorkmark it really, and whenever appropriate provide the link to an appropriate party really. Other then that, if anyone has positive stories or insights on the topipc they should feel free to add them to the thread.

Reply Quote
I've found that getting guild experience isn't a huge issue as an endgame guild, but what about the little people?

Recently, I joined a reroll group. We're all below 60 working our way up, and have completed two weeks worth of dungeon challenges, not to mention the 6-15 people signing in every day to quest for a few hours. The guild is below the halfway mark to level two. This is ridiculous.

That level two perk is meant for leveling players, why is it so difficult for non-85's to attain? I also don't remember the first couple levels taking as long, was something changed in recent patches?
Edited by Olgar on 8/3/2011 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Paladin
Low level quest experience is basically insignificant towards leveling the guild. Only Cata quests seem to contribute substantially, this includes the daily cooking and fishing quests found in SW and Orgrimmar. This hasn't changed.

The first level you will be able to substantially help level your guild by participating in guild challenges will be at level 70, where you can do Burning Crusade heroic dungeons. It is the heroic dungeons that result in the most subsantial guild experience gains from challenges, especially if all 5 group members are from the same guild.

Your previous guild was probably from the start of Cataclysm, which means it had a number of level 80's questing to level 85. All those completed quests in Cata content quickly contributed to your daily guild exp cap. This is why it seemed to go so fast before even when you were not 85's.

My advice to you is to do the following. Inform your guild members to level to 70, or 80, and then turn XP off temporarily and farm either BC or WotLK heroic dungeons in 5man groups. The content is substantially easier and faster than Cata dungeons. You will be able to farm up guild levels rather rapidly by doing so.
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Paladin
Update:

Just so you all know, and maybe you didn't realize, but you can quickly knock out your guild dungeon challenges with the Dire Brew boss in LFD.

You can also subsequently guild xp farm the bejesus out of him. So for a one fight one kill you get the rewards of having completed a dungeon in terms of guild xp.

So grab a full guild group and... Enjoy!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]