Can we stop with the drop mounts?

90 Blood Elf Priest
07/26/2011 03:42 PMPosted by Zarhym
achievement hounds.

Hmm. I guess I should start putting the "unds" in that word to describe those of us who are playing for achievements.

I've been cursed with horrible luck for dungeon drop mounts to the point where friends would say, "k no tiger drop today, Vix is here". Never even seen that ZG tigger in 5 years!! (Wasn't it like 5 years ago when ZG was our at level 20-man raid?)

Only got the northwind drake cuz it was my first Cata dungeon boss kill at 84 and didn't even know it was a drop there, and miraculously won the roll. One of those clueless (Asian) blonde moments ftw.

I don't like drop mounts, nope. They don't like me either. So I'll just quest/buy/ignorant-roll them. hmph scoff.

(But I really really really want one insignificant little panther mount...I'll give you a few backyard stray live kittens for it!!) /shameless begging
Edited by Vixie on 7/26/2011 5:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
62 Dwarf Hunter
Sup. Mount collector here. Relatively new one as well.

Noticed something.
Almost every other mount ever has been a drop off a boss.

False. There's 173 mounts in the game (according to the profile pages), and only 31 of them drop off something. That's 18% of all the mounts.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
i like mounts that drop from bosses

/cast Ashes of Alar,
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
Been seeing the Armored Razzashi Raptor abit now and have to keep farming for that. Swift Zulian Panther is nice too. Nice to know they are a chance to drop each time i run ZG. Was lucky to pick up Reins of the Vitreous Stone Drake from the stonecore not long back :)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
While I hate the process of farming rare mounts, nothing is more rewarding than when you get one. It was amazing when my tiger dropped from ZG. It was epic when the Raven lord finally showed up. And for the white chocobo I was happy I would never have to hear about mear setbacks ever again (Unless I wanted to.) Of course its a heartbreaker when you lose one (QQ rolled a 7 on the only azure drake I've sen.) but thats part of the fun.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
117 mounts sup
07/26/2011 02:31 AMPosted by Kraai
u mad kraai
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
You guys can get your guaranteed not-off-a-boss mounts the day I get the Black Qiraji Battle Tank and the Scarab Lord title.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
07/26/2011 06:28 PMPosted by Kagrenac
You guys can get your guaranteed not-off-a-boss mounts the day I get the Black Qiraji Battle Tank and the Scarab Lord title.

lol i have yet to see either of those. as for the whole rng thing i wouldnt care if they kept it just bump the chances a couple percent. some are rediculously low as to be nearly nonexistant. the mount off slabhide normal for instance has a less than one percent chance of dropping.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Undead Death Knight
07/26/2011 03:42 PMPosted by Zarhym
There are so many mounts in the game now that having some really rare and random prestige rides is okay by us. ;)

There's a difference between rare and stupidly luck based. Look at a mount like Invincible's Reins, it has to be one of the more rare mounts as far as number live in game. But it's not random, you earned it from accomplishing something really hard. There's already enough randomness in then having to roll or distribute it among the raiders. When I see someone on Invincible's Reins they have prestige.

Then look at something like Anzu. It doesn't mean you did something hard, it doesn't mean you were dedicated. I means you had the digital dice lie in your favor. There's people who've farmed for 200 days and never gotten it, then there's other people who've killed him once and gotten it. So what ends up happening? The person who killed it once doesn't appreciate it's rarity and the person who killed it 200 times is frustrated and demoralized.

Rare != random.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock

Players often express concern that they end up looking like everyone else when they acquire awesome gear. This was somewhat a flip from the concept that tier sets were much too difficult to obtain back in the day. We share this concern and also think it's a problem that would apply to mounts as well, if some of the more rare ones out there had their RNG components removed.

Mounts are NOT like tier sets. Players are ostensibly forced to display the art that comes with the latest and greatest tier set because the game doesn't allow players to customize their appearance. Mounts, non-combat pets, and titles, and the 16 slot backpack are the only things in this game that stay with players forever. Furthermore, with the exception of ground/flying/swimming distinctions, every mount is equal in function to another.

Your logic is flawed because players are free to use any mount in their collection at any given time to distinguish themselves from other players without the penalties associated with wearing old tier sets.

I'm not saying I totally agree with the OP, but I do think it would be nice to have more mounts acquired through effort and less through luck. Ideally, there's a balance between the two, but in Catalcysm there seems to be a plethora of luck mounts and very few effort mounts. Making some of the luck mounts boe would be a decent comprimise.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Warrior
Can you look at some new Honor reward mounts? The current ones have been around for 6 years, they could stand some updating.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Yea, the drake from stone core dropped on my alt and I won it! I was so excited, yet that toon has only 3 mounts: a kodo, a wind rider, and the stone core mount! I wish I could transfer it to my main
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
117 mounts sup
u mad kraai

127 mounts says "Hello".

:)
Reply Quote
There are so many mounts in the game now that having some really rare and random prestige rides is okay by us. ;)

There's a difference between rare and stupidly luck based. Look at a mount like Invincible's Reins, it has to be one of the more rare mounts as far as number live in game. But it's not random, you earned it from accomplishing something really hard. There's already enough randomness in then having to roll or distribute it among the raiders. When I see someone on Invincible's Reins they have prestige.
Rare != random.

Different people have different definitions of "prestige". For some it's PvE skills, for some it's PVP skills, and from Blizz's POV, luck is one of those. You can't force your standard on other ;)
Edited by Kinamashi on 7/26/2011 7:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
6 Gnome Mage
I got the kara horse 1st run. umad
Reply Quote
41 Night Elf Mage
07/26/2011 02:38 AMPosted by Lipstick
As someone who has tried many many times in vain to get mounts my original main had to redrop again, to no avail.. I completely agree.

I'll agree just cause there should be a better more "hardworking" way to get them. the blazing hippogryph is a nice idea imo. Complete a group of quest, its not easy, it will take time.

Unlike boss drop mounts where you may never see drop.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]