Buyers beware: The 365 2h sword is 3.5 speed

85 Orc Warrior
07/28/2011 06:33 PMPosted by Zarhym
We wanted this weapon to be roughly on par with weapons from the previous tier, since it can be purchased from the Auction House. It wasn't intended to compete as much with current raid drops, as it felt weird that a strength-based DPS crafted weapon was more attractive than some of its counterparts.

Making it a 3.5 speed actually made it worse than its counterparts for all classes but Death Knights. The other weapons don't suffer the same penalty, why discriminate against 2-handed melee classes?

This isn't even delving into the matter that is your (Blizzard Representatives) response time on this subject. You took over a month to come up with a one-liner of an explanation, meanwhile hundreds, possibly thousands of players are paying in gold & time for what is actually a dps downgrade for them.
You punished those looking to squeeze the best out of their character.

Bravo, f***ing bravo.
Edited by ßamf on 7/29/2011 1:30 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Well this explains why I saw an otherwise inexplicable drop in DPS last week, and could barely keep up with a guild member using Cho'Gall's (non-heroic) axe.

I put in a ticket, I don't expect much out of it, but it's a bloody cruel joke that I spent all that time looking forward to that weapon (I'd been unlucky with 2h drops in T11 so I was SMF the entire time) and crafted it on my Paladin only to find my damage output go down and then a week or so later the tooltip is miraculously changed to reflect the turd that this weapon turns out to be.

Secondary stats are terrible for Arms and Fury and the damage range is terrible on account of the new speed.

There needs to be some kind of compensation for this. I didn't grind away at dailies for the better part of a month on a character I don't care about (my paladin blacksmith) and funnel those very, very costly mats into a weapon that is worse than several different items of a lower item level.

Why can't the 365 weapon be a 365 weapon... kind of like how all the other 365 weapons are 365 weapons... Unless their tooltips are all wrong, too, and they all secretly suck compared to previous-tier, easily-obtainable, free loot. Scandal!

I don't even need it to be 3.8 speed, just 3.6 like most other 2h and with a 365-appropriate damage spread would be fine. There's no reason at all a 365 crafted weapon that takes this much work ("ease to obtain" my hind-quarters) should be so weak in comparison to pre-existing items that are way, way easier to obtain.

10-20k gold in mats, orbs, and daily grinding do not equal ease, they equal a *lot* of wasted money and time. Had the tooltip been right from the get-go, then the majority of us could have just sighed and ignored this weapon, but as it is a lot of people got screwed, needlessly, because of a few lines of text (and a very poor concept of "balance" in this particular case).
1 Human Priest
Now here is an interesting question

If the players didn't cause this much of an uproar, would Blizzard have known the tooltip was wrong?
26 Worgen Rogue
Now here is an interesting question

If the players didn't cause this much of an uproar, would Blizzard have known the tooltip was wrong?

Would they know and can they/will they do anything about it are two different things.

I suspect they would know with very little uproar. Now here's hoping they do something to make it right with the players.
85 Human Paladin
Why can't the 365 weapon be a 365 weapon... kind of like how all the other 365 weapons are 365 weapons... Unless their tooltips are all wrong, too, and they all secretly suck compared to previous-tier, easily-obtainable, free loot. Scandal!

Answer:
Posted by Zarhym
At 3.80 speed, the weapon was over-performing relative to its cost and the ease with which it can be obtained.

Funny stuff.
Wonder how they considered the cost when the other craftable 365's (using the same amount of materials) don't seem to be an issue as this sword is?
Edited by Marýlou on 7/29/2011 2:24 AM PDT
85 Orc Warrior
07/29/2011 02:23 AMPosted by Marýlou

Answer:
Posted by Zarhym
At 3.80 speed, the weapon was over-performing relative to its cost and the ease with which it can be obtained.

Funny stuff.

The answer had almost nothing to do with the question.
He was asking why it couldn't perform at the level of a standard 365 weapon and why it instead had to be taken down a notch too many and relegated to near uselessness.
EDIT: Grammar.
Edited by ßamf on 7/29/2011 2:25 AM PDT
14 Human Warrior
i thought they normalized weapon speed a long long long time ago. i don't understand why 3.8 is still the go to speed?
26 Worgen Rogue
Posted by Zarhym

Every time I read that I hear Han Solo yelling in my head...

"Easy? You call that easy??"

Which makes me want to respond:

"Not for this Blacksmith, sister!"
85 Orc Warrior
07/29/2011 02:29 AMPosted by Achilies
i thought they normalized weapon speed a long long long time ago. i don't understand why 3.8 is still the go to speed?

Slower weapons (IE, 3.8 as opposed to 3.6) inherently have higher minimum & maximum weapon damage while maintaining the same weapon dps. Instant attacks that work off of weapon damage (IE, Mortal Strike) will normalize the weapon speed to 3.3 in the equation, but will also account for the weapon damage.

normalized_damage = base_weapon_damage + (X * Attack Power / 14)

85 Draenei Warrior
There are things which can be hotfix nerfed, not so much because they're right, but because even if given notice, we wouldn't have been able to do much about it.

This one on the other hand, was an ongoing issue for a long enough period of time that if advance notice was given, choices made would have been very different.

It's a slap to the face however you look at it.

Wasn't this an issue on the PTR too? Again, what is the PTR for if stuff like this makes it through??
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]