It's Tuesday Maintenance!

Dear Newbies,

Tuesday is Server Maintenance day for World Of Warcraft. Always has been, always will be, so please don't freak out!

Every single Tuesday, from the very beginning of (WoW)time until the very end of the World(of Warcraft) is set aside for Blizzard Network Engineers to maintain the game servers in order to provide 11 million players with the best gaming experience possible. This is no easy task by any stretch of the imagination, with more than 250 individual game servers to work on and only a few short hours to do it in, even something as simple as rebooting the servers can take several hours to complete. Blizzard ALWAYS puts a notice on the game login screen before maintenance happens to give all players an idea as to the nature of it. This will be in a message box located on the left side of the game login screen, where you type your password.

Typically, most Tuesdays are simple server restarts which usually means each individual server is only offline for about 15 minutes or so at most, but the whole process can take an hour to complete for all servers.

Sometimes the server will need more maintenance than that, maybe a cooling system failed, perhaps a hard drive died, or something needs replacing. These Types of maintenance can take several hours to complete, but typically only affect the population of that server directly, and maybe, depending on the scope of the problem, could cause other servers within the same cluster to have connection issues. These problems are extremely rare.

Other times the server maintenance has more to do with the actual game files than anything else, many times this involves applying a new patch to the game. Maybe they need to fix a problem with a dungeon, fix a graphical glitch, or maybe change the way some spells work. There could be a content patch that changes game mechanics, adds new dungeons/armor/monsters/spells/etc. Software changes will affect all servers, so they must be applied to, installed and tested on each server to be sure the patches were successful before the server can come back online for play.

Sometimes this goes smoothly, but not always, sometimes there's issues and further patching needs to be applied to fix the problems. These types of maintenance can range anywhere from about 1-6+ or more hours, and if there are seriously major problems a server could be offline for a day or two.....however these cases are exceedingly rare, and Blizzard almost always adds free game time to players accounts to compensate for the lost time during maintenance.

This compensation can be seen by logging into your battle.net account, under the "Your Game Accounts" section click on the World of Warcraft game. Now you should be at the "Game Management" page for World of Warcraft, to the right of the picture of the game box, click the "View Account History" link.

Play time compensation will show up in the list of payments and look similar to this; "9/18/09 N/A Three Day Credit Expired". The Date is the date the credit was given, the "N/A" is under the "Amount" column (meaning there is no cost), Then the amount of time credited to the account, followed by the status of the credit. The status shows as "Pending" when the time is first credited to the account, and it shows as "Expired" when the credited time is used up.

So, as with every Tuesday, there's no need for anyone to freak out. All of your characters are fine, your computer isn't broken, and your internet connection is fine. The game server is just offline to "get the oil changed" and will be back shortly. Go out and enjoy the weather, play fetch with your dog, go play with the kids toys, ride a bike or take a walk!

Thank you for your attention

Sincerely,
Baloo Bloodfist
Defender of the New Player Help and Guides Forum
Reply Quote
Just putting this out there for tomorrow, just because there's usually lots of threads about it on Tuesdays. It's a pre-emptive strategy....lol
Reply Quote
tl;dr

So what you're saying is that there is no Tuesday maintenance?
Reply Quote
/facepalm

yep, that's it lol
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Ah, Tuesday maintenance. The day when nothing seems to work yet it's always expected.

I'll be writing more fiction and potentially some ridiculous Newbie forum RP bits.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
This will be a good read during the Tuesday Maintenance!

Oh wait...
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Death Knight
Cerylia will be offline.

Stroking my luscious hair.

Yes.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Cerylia will be offline.

Stroking my luscious hair.

Yes.

Oh my, who's this?

/sidles up
/smooths hair

I hear it gets lonely in Acherus...
Reply Quote
Oh my, who's this?

/sidles up
/smooths hair

So lonely, my dear Farstrider. Join me for the night?

/slow motion hair flip
/flawless grin

And no, that's not a mana wyrm in my pocket.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Oh my, who's this?

/sidles up
/smooths hair

/slow motion hair flip
/flawless grin

/swoon
/flutters eyelashes

And here I thought death knights had an Icy Touch~
Reply Quote

/slow motion hair flip
/flawless grin

/swoon
/flutters eyelashes

And here I thought death knights had an Icy Touch~

My blood might be frozen, but even while Lichborne I'm not immune to your charm.

/runs hand through hair
/coy wink

Did you know that an Anti-Magic shell can be cozy this time of night?
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
lol. Should have read the rest of the thread before I hit Request Sticky.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I call 'em Double Whammy Tuesday... both realms AND forums are down!

I did notice they put up the reminder yesterday morning...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Yeah Nok, is it bad that there's some cheesy 70's music stuck in my head now after reading the derailed posts?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Tuesdays are the dreaded day, since I work evenings, to do laundry and food shopping while I wait for the servers to come back up.
Reply Quote
I call 'em Double Whammy Tuesday... both realms AND forums are down!

I did notice they put up the reminder yesterday morning...
The forums aren't usually down during maintenance, but they have been the last few weeks or so.
Reply Quote
Welcome back Tuesday! Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I came here for the maintenance and stayed for the blood elf RP.

No wait, I did that other thing... I ran away. Yeah, that thing. From the blood elves.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I'm pro.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
07/25/2011 07:55 PMPosted by Baloo
Every single Tuesday

Not so! Furthermore, the cake is a lie. And this just in: Fire still hot!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]