From the Hunters

90 Night Elf Hunter
I wish to inform those of you who are not hunters of a few things.

Killing a rare spawn (especially in the middle of a tame) is not funny to anyone but you and maybe some of your buddies. We often wait a long time for something to spawn and when it does the excitement is sometimes even more than when you down a raid boss you have been working weeks on. We often camp a spawn point for hours or even days seeing no sign of what we are hoping will show up any minute.

The only equivalent I can think of to a spawn we are trying to tame being killed is like having that new and awesome gear upgrade drop for you and you see it get disenchanted. It would not have been so bad if the gear had gone to another who could use it just as much but instead it was wasted and all the work put into trying to get it has been for naught.

Please keep this in mind next time you see a rare spawn. Please do not kill it, instead inform a hunter you know or general chat that it is there. Sometimes you may even get a reward out of it. If it is a challenge tame then help if you can. There is not point to killing the rare spawn other than for stupid amusement especially since they do not drop any loot other than a gray item.

Please keep this in mind. Thank you.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
it blows me away that some people STILL think they are going to get some leet drop from the kill. let me educate you get nothing but vendor trash. a grey.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
I support this thread. Killing a Cata rare spawn, especially the new ones that the patch notes SAID are specifically for Hunters to tame, is pointless. And killing one while the Hunter is taming it is a HUGE douche move. You get nothing from it - no gold, no experience, no achievement, and a vendor grey that sells for less gold than you'd get by farming a couple herb or ore nodes.
Reply Quote
Wouldn't that fall under PvE griefing?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
Anatharin i love you for posting this! I lost out on Deth'tilac twice because of this :(
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
IRS
Well anthriss was just killed by 2 alliance paladins
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Ive only ever killed a rare spawn tamable once, and that was when some jacka** 80 was trying to con 20k outta me for korama or whatever..the ghost dog...so rather than paying him, which why he was in TH at level 80 i still dont know, i killed it. I found it via npc scan, whether he was there or not i woulda found it, he shouldnt have tried extorting me.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I had the sad fortune of witnessing two alliance hunters kill Skitterflame during a horde's mid-tame...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
It makes me sad to hear about rares being killed by either faction, there is no good reason to.

The only semi argument I could make is for Wrath and earlier rares, these do drop loot which unfortunately gives others claim to them as well. So while I understand that they drop gear and even bags in the case of northrend rares I still think it is best that they go to a hunter as a pet. The pet will last longer than the gear and would bring more happiness in my book.

And as for PVE griefing killing a rare spawn mid tame does not fall under this. Blizzard has already addressed the issue and has said they will not do anything about it. Indeed there is not much they could do but respawn the pet after a ticket and hopefully the hunter who put in the ticket could try to get it but really there is no guarantee in that. There is also the fact that they would have to sift through (unfortunately) hundreds of these across realms which seems impractical.
Edited by Anatharin on 7/26/2011 5:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
IRS
Skitterflame got killed while a hunter guildie was helping me tame him on my hunter, by Infernomane and Breeala on the alliance at about 8:40pm.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I could blame society for encouraging disassociation and promoting dbaggishness.

I do admit to grabbing a couple of friends to take a shot at the spider in firelands only cause reading on it made me think 'this sounds hard' and we did give up after a couple attempts but only attempted when no one was working on the spider. To that I blame boredom and curiosity. Kudo's to the hunters that get that spider.

I've seen just as much dbaggery on both sides. Ratting each other out wont change a thing just make one or two go 'so mean, he shouldnt have done that'. -.- There is nothing keeping us from holding onto the sense of community that used to be back in the days of vanilla and BC when our actions we were held accountable. That being said, I learned everything I needed to know in Kindergarden. I share my toys, please/thank you, and animal crackers are teh bomb.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
As much as I feel bad for the great hunters out there who want these pets, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when I see someone fail to tame it repeatedly and then see it killed in front of them.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Well thats not very nice! Maybe they're just getting the hang of how to do it
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I like hunter pet tears, they make a nice addition to my backpack.
Reply Quote
92 Dwarf Hunter
I stopped caring for rare spawns a long time ago.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
I put this in a current thread over in general just few moments ago but since Perenolde is my home and the griefing is still going on, I put this out there for Blizz consideration and for my fellow hunters on Perenolde to think about.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, for hunters, rares and exotics - depending on spec - should be made quest-able and given out by the hunter trainer. The rare/exotic quests would be listable like skills are and only become available when the person is at the appropriate or above level. The quest itself would be phased where only the hunter can participate in it which means, hunters, we'd have to be on our game because having help wouldn't be possible. It might also mean that if you can't tame it and die instead, you may have to abandon and do the quest later when you have the hp or the gaming skill to tame the beast you want. But my hunter brothers and sisters, it would also mean the griefers would be totally removed from the equation and that to me would be worth any inconvenience of not being able to have someone there to help me tame the pet I wanted.

Also, while we hunters may want to have ALL the available rares and exotics, the stable limitation of x number of stable slots still applies which means we would still have to be knowledgeable about what pets we really wanted and what pets we didn't. Just like now we'd have to pick and choose because we only have so many slots.

Mind, I do not, as I am not a programmer, know what kind of coding headaches this kind of a change would create nor if those headaches are solvable (sp?) but I hope it is an idea worthy of the Dev's attention and consideration. If for no other reason than perhaps it would spark a viable solution to the hunter/griefer taming issue.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Really though you arent expected to have a unique skin pet to be able to dps better or anything so its probably not high on their priority list. On the other hand, some of the new tames do a good job of murdering non-hunters.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Yeah, so I've heard. I'm not doing FL any time soon though so I can't watch yet.

In the meantime, that thread I mentioned? Some one just came up with a good idea, IMO. It would work well on both pvp and pve servers. And the coding for it might be an easier way to do things that what I originally thought of. Instead of the silver dragon around the beasts icon, put a green one that says "For Hunter Tames Only" or some such similar language. Anyone can attack it but after the hp goes down to a certain point, it does what the glitched critters and humanoids do, it becomes an invalid target and evades, and resets. The only one able to interact with it would be a hunter.

Personally, I think that's a good idea and besides, the entertainment value of watching someone trying to grief a hunter and failing would be priceless. We may not be able to kill griefers since we're not a pvp server but being able to laugh at them, or even go up to the beast they're attacking and tame it under their nose would be so sweet! Revenge in this case, is a dish best served with loud, evil laughter.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I put this in a current thread over in general just few moments ago but since Perenolde is my home and the griefing is still going on, I put this out there for Blizz consideration and for my fellow hunters on Perenolde to think about.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, for hunters, rares and exotics - depending on spec - should be made quest-able and given out by the hunter trainer. The rare/exotic quests would be listable like skills are and only become available when the person is at the appropriate or above level. The quest itself would be phased where only the hunter can participate in it which means, hunters, we'd have to be on our game because having help wouldn't be possible. It might also mean that if you can't tame it and die instead, you may have to abandon and do the quest later when you have the hp or the gaming skill to tame the beast you want. But my hunter brothers and sisters, it would also mean the griefers would be totally removed from the equation and that to me would be worth any inconvenience of not being able to have someone there to help me tame the pet I wanted.

Also, while we hunters may want to have ALL the available rares and exotics, the stable limitation of x number of stable slots still applies which means we would still have to be knowledgeable about what pets we really wanted and what pets we didn't. Just like now we'd have to pick and choose because we only have so many slots.

Mind, I do not, as I am not a programmer, know what kind of coding headaches this kind of a change would create nor if those headaches are solvable (sp?) but I hope it is an idea worthy of the Dev's attention and consideration. If for no other reason than perhaps it would spark a viable solution to the hunter/griefer taming issue.

You can have class-specific content when the rest of us get some.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

You can have class-specific content when the rest of us get some.

Says the guy that got an entire starting zone for his class.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]