About the Recent Authenticator Change

90 Human Paladin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_pretenses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud

until some kind of change is actually implemented or the info on the authenticators page is amended to reflect the newly implemented change then blizzard is breaking the law by continuing to advertise the authenticators as use upon every log in.

yes we finally get a blue response which is nice but comes way too late for those who have already quit over this change because they felt compromised by the very company they payed money to to help protect their accounts. (and by this i mean the people who actually did pay the 6.50$ for the physical key chain like myself)

Compromise is the solution. Pushing things beyond the scope of compromise will result in the same situation you have in Washington right now...gridlock.

Calm down, don't get excited, don't let others fire you up, and breathe a guarded sigh of relief that they are aware and working on the problem.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I know I'll definitely feel better once the option is implemented. better now than never.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

There is no problem. I have no idea why Blizzard is addressing this non-issue.

It's a non-isue to you.

It's a major issue for me and many others.

THAT is why they are adressing it. Thank you.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
We understand the concern many players have with the recent Battle.net authenticator changes. To that end, we’re exploring the idea of adding an “Opt Out” option within Battle.net Account Management, which would then force the prompt for an authenticator code whenever you log into World of Warcraft.

To be clear, we have gone to great lengths to ensure Battle.net accounts and authenticators provide players with a high level of security. Maintaining a safe and secure Blizzard gameplay environment remains a top priority for us.

You guys should have known the player base would respond this way. You guys should have known that your players that are IT professionals, or on the flip side of network security, would step up and bombard the forums with, "This is a bad idea, and here is why." posts.

Coming out after the fact and saying, "Ya we did this and we want to add these features to make it better." really only drives home the point that this was really half-assed. You should have had these features in place before you went forward.

I hate to dump on you Zarhym, it's not like you hatched this plan while cackling in your secret volcano hideout. You just happen to be the kind floating skull guy that hangs around these parts and passes along feedback to the guys that really did make this call.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

No, you think there is an issue. There really is not. Blizzard is wasting their time addressing this when there are way more things on their plate.

Last time responding to you. i am not the only one that thinks there's an issue. Alot of other people think there is an issue. Blizzard now thinks there is an issue. Bugs were reported to Tech Support, and were concluded to be "not intended". Fixes will be made, options will be created, and you and I can live our happy little lives, hopefully on different servers.

Reply Quote
52 Human Paladin

No, you think there is an issue. There really is not. Blizzard is wasting their time addressing this when there are way more things on their plate.

Last time responding to you. i am not the only one that thinks there's an issue. Alot of other people think there is an issue. Blizzard now thinks there is an issue. Bugs were reported to Tech Support, and were concluded to be "not intended". Fixes will be made, options will be created, and you and I can live our happy little lives, hopefully on different servers.

What is the point in arguing (or even keeping this thread open at this point). A request for a blue response was made, and a blue responded. Quit trolling.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I'm not sure. I just came across this one and wanted to get some visibility on the fact that we've been gathering player feedback on this change all along.

can I ask why it took a month+ to say we are looking at it?????

I mean if this
We've been discussing the best way to implement new options for this feature since the moment it was announced

is true

a month of us screaming at the top of our internetlungs would have been a thread or 2
not 13+ threads in tech forums, a couple bans for people and whatnot
Maybe it took a month to decide to change it in some way. Why not get off their backs about it, it's their game. The whole subject is useless but be that as it may let them do their jobs.

Personally the way you insulted the blues and blizz in general I wouldnt have responded to you. It actually pained me to see Zarhym cave to the pressure.
Edited by Palehorsesix on 7/26/2011 6:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
07/26/2011 01:53 PMPosted by Zarhym
We understand the concern many players have with the recent Battle.net authenticator changes. To that end, we’re exploring the idea of adding an “Opt Out” option within Battle.net Account Management

Thank you *hugs*
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Zarhym
Community Manager

We understand the concern many players have with the recent Battle.net authenticator changes. To that end, we’re exploring the idea of adding an “Opt Out” option within Battle.net Account Management, which would then force the prompt for an authenticator code whenever you log into World of Warcraft.

Zarhym, tell those working on the issue that this ol' orc and his undead 'lock wiffy say ty ty ty ty ty ty ty ty. We appreciate them deciding to look at the possibility of adding the "opt out" feature and hope it proves to be viable. ... and Zarhym, thanks for replying, appreciate that even more than you know.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I'm more curious as to why, almost what, two months after this feature was released, my authenticator STILL asks me for my code every single time I log in.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
07/26/2011 03:23 PMPosted by Azreluna
I recently added an authenticator to my account. While I don't ever want to have to enter the code while I'm at my home computer, if I were to visit a friend's house and use his, I'd sure want it to force the code each time.
That's how it works. It tracks your common login points and doesn't force the authenticator there, but will always prompt you if you login elsewhere.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
So I just wanted to dissent to the OP add a thumbs up to blizzard for actually adding the you-don't-need-to-authenticate-every-fking-time feature. This is my wow account not my bank account and I am not stupid enough to use the same password for both. Blizzard seems pretty good about restoring items to hacked accounts and I went without one for years. Still never been hacked. When I finally got one it was a couple weeks before they started this feature and I was about ready to take the thing off and just not be stupid with phishing emails and such. Thanks to this I still use it.

I'm as harsh a critic of blizzard as anyone, don't even get me started on balance issues. But here they got it right and I hope they do something similar for starcraft soon.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
07/26/2011 06:17 PMPosted by Wrathøfhell
I'm more curious as to why, almost what, two months after this feature was released, my authenticator STILL asks me for my code every single time I log in.

O.O Do you know how many people would kill to have that bug?! Wow. Out of curiosity, did you do any testing? Is it only that computer or any computer? Do you reset your modem a lot? Possibly your IP address changes so often that the system keeps prompting you. What about your Windows Registry? Perhaps the file that queues a prompt/not prompt got set to 'read only' or is being outright deleted by something? Is your computer 'frozen'? Aka: has a program that on shutdown reverts any changes made during the previous session.

Btw, it's only been A month since the authenticator stopped prompting each time, though it's been seven months since the smart login system was first put into place ALONGSIDE the auth (judging by how far back the system was remembering computer logins).
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I only log in from 1 location, so its not hard to keeptrack of my security, this change has made it easier for me personally (lol panic DCs in raids oh crap authenticator entry!!!)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Hey Zarhym? By chance, is one of the options the development team is considering a way to determine who chose to opt-out and who didn't? Say, if you choose to enter your code every time, your Core Hound turns translucent and if you choose to only enter it once a week the pup stays normal? (Or vice versa) Or preferably an option in the guild controls? When the change first dropped, there were some concerns about guild bank safety, and having a way for the guild leadership to determine who is who would be very helpful! Thanks for the time, and thanks again for the announcement!

Oh, and while I'm pestering you? Any chance non-combat pet cats could get a voiceover, please? Just about all of the other pets have voices now. I'd be happy to offer my Frost as a voice actress! ;-P
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Death Knight
This could TOTALLY compromise people's account security!

I mean, you never know when someone's going to sneak into your house in the middle of the night just to get onto your WoW account!

/headdesk
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]