About the Recent Authenticator Change

90 Night Elf Druid
07/24/2011 10:59 AMPosted by Chunny
Asking for blue posts is the fastest and easiest way to not get them.

People feel they need to ask because when a subject gets 13 capped threads and no response from a Blue it is discouraging.

And this is the official community discussion forum, not the developers Q&A board. This is also the General Topics forum, if you really want a response than make the thread in customer service.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
nah, I just have to deal with it for 4 days(swore it was the 26th I ended, not the 28th)
Status
Active (Expires: 7/28/2011 12:00 PM)

Current Game Time Source
InComm Game Card 60 Day

GTCs show 'active' status till they expire
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Dude just delete the contents of the Registry hive and depermission it for all but administrative accounts. ITS THAT FREAKING EASY.
DERP.
DERPY DERPY DERPY DERP.........
Your inability to pay attention and think for a minute or read ( I posted the fix for this about 24 hours after the change) Says that you need to pull your head out of your butt.

you are the illiterate one

the reg hack ONLY EFFECTS LOCAL MACHINE
not any other machine on the planet
not the game cafe you log in at, not your moms upstairs or basement computer, not the neighbor's, noone's but that computer is effected

it is about the same as locking the back door but leaving the front door and windows unlocked
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
07/24/2011 12:32 PMPosted by Bankaltbob
And if you Log in from anywhere else it requires passwords security questions AND the authenticator.

it DOESN'T always work
I personally tested that

multiple locations(STATES) as I already posted
maybe you like playing Russian Roulette with a full clip?, but personally when it fails in state to state travel for some, and recycling modems prompt for others there is a MAJOR issue
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
nah, I just have to deal with it for 4 days(swore it was the 26th I ended, not the 28th)
Status
Active (Expires: 7/28/2011 12:00 PM)

Current Game Time Source
InComm Game Card 60 Day

GTCs show 'active' status till they expire

I'll see you back in a month. You're not quitting.

care to take that bet?

cash, not ingame gold as it's useless to me now
I deleted some chars already
Reply Quote
54 Human Priest
Youre pretty mad about this minor issue in a video game.. no way youre quitting
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
more like already quit

the running bet, is 'forum' or 'full' ban for my posting this and being very blunt
I say forum, as it silences me and I can (in their minds) 'come back to wow' eventually
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight

I'll see you back in a month. You're not quitting.

care to take that bet?

Lol you can front all you want... you will be back.. if for no other reason than the available mmos out there are pale comparisons to wow... SWTOR is going to cause a massive collective depression among the frankie fans who are counting on that pile of garbage to save them from wow... beta for that game is poop
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
more like already quit

the running bet, is 'forum' or 'full' ban for my posting this and being very blunt
I say forum, as it silences me and I can (in their minds) 'come back to wow' eventually

Lol you're delusional if they think they really care what you say... you're breaking a forum rule about reviving threads they have already clearly stated are non starters.. thats why you'll get the forum ban... not for the specific position you're taking but because you are breaking a forum rule.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

care to take that bet?

Lol you can front all you want... you will be back.. if for no other reason than the available mmos out there are pale comparisons to wow... SWTOR is going to cause a massive collective depression among the frankie fans who are counting on that pile of garbage to save them from wow... beta for that game is poop

really?, I was already playing EVE for a while(my main acct's an 06 acct, older than my wow one... hell my 2nd acct there is older than my wow one, my 3rd acct is younger tho...), it's nice to have a break from 23/7 PvP with consequences which is what I treated WoW as(hell, when I was progression raid tanking, I was running a 0.0 corp there... go look which is harder)
WoW was the distraction, that doesn't mean I can't give a crap about lowering security or somesuch
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well, I'll say that when I went on vacation and logged in at the hotel I was staying at one evening, not only did I have to put in my authenticator, I was required to go into Account Maintenance, answer security questions, and change my password before it would accept that it was really me.

I think the security is still working pretty well, though I'm not opposed to those wanting an option for it to ask for the authenticator every time.

I cry BS.

I went on vacation 1000 miles south of my home, 5 states away, at a hotel, and didn't once have to enter my authenticator or even go to the website to change my PW. Either you are outright lying, or the system is seriously flawed with "randomized checks".
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
07/24/2011 11:14 AMPosted by Æza
Blizzard is not obligated in any way to you.

Legally no, business sake, Yes.

Shut up please.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
[quote]
This isn't even a big deal, mostly paranoid people upset. Your account is still secure, the chance of you getting 'hacked' hasn't skyrocketed. You'll be fine as long as you don't do dumb things like go to bad sites or open suspicious emails.

...or go on vacation and play in alternate loactions
...or are forced to share a computer / ISP
...or public computers are your only means to connect

Why is it so hard to comprehend that while you are still more secure with an authenticator than without, that those WITH are stil less secure now than they were before the change? True Two-Factor Authentication means keying that code in EVERY TIME.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
07/24/2011 11:48 AMPosted by Grimmoire
Could it be because it is a non-issue from a technical standpoint even if it is an issue from your personal standpoint? They can't change your mind, so why bother responding?

It's a non-issue from a technical standpoint. So it should not be stuck in the Technical Forums.

It IS a security issue. That has not changed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
And if you Log in from anywhere else it requires passwords security questions AND the authenticator.

You can get the Log in thats easy enough thanks to using an email for the log in name.
The Password can be captured if your fail at PC security,
The security questions can probably be gotten with enough digging (if you wanted to Directly target an account) But that last little bit that authenticator is the tricky part.

You cant make it airtight but by locking the registry key down and deleting the contents you can at least make sure that you have some authority over it on your own system.

Of course the key is that you DO NOT LOG ON TO WOW FROM ANYWHERE BUT YOUR HOME LOCATION AND NEVER ON A FREAKING PUBLIC PC or public Wifi.

Tell that to those who have no choice.

Some college students and the entire United States Military would like to have a word with you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]