About the Recent Authenticator Change

85 Undead Warrior
1.Computers get controlled every day by people other than their owners. (botnets)
2.People get keyloggers on their computer.
3.You don't have to use your authenticator everytime you login.

Those three things right there are a recipe for authenticator circumvention.

1. if you have this prob., you have very basic problems knowing how to protect what is yours and should not be on the internet.
2. same as #1
3. don't need one, cause i know how to protect my 'puter and behave on the internet, and not about to feed more $$ to blizz. never been hacked, never will.

now please everyone !@#$ about any security issues...the security issues are YOURS, they made the authenticator to cover your dumb@$$es for stuff you couldn't handle yourselves. if you're stupid enough to play on a public network (cafe/airport, etc) you deserve whatever you got, although, if you are tech savvy and your security settings are up to snuff, you can actually get away with it safely.

/done with this BS...

Yes you may have never been hacked and maybe you never will, but its still possible that you can. And don't say you can't, because if you knew anything about computers you know its a possibility. As for money, blizzard makes nothing off the authenticator. Yes security is our responsibility, all the authenticator does is add another layer which if someone wanted more protection for their account they would be smart to get one. And if you had actually bothered to read anything you would know that some people can only play from public access.
Reply Quote
40 Goblin Warrior
07/27/2011 04:31 PMPosted by Gallante
been stated already.
mine was alot shorter and to the point
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I would feel much safer with an "opt out" solution. I don't mind authenticating at every log-in. A USB authenticator may well be a better approach but will probably not happen. If you don't have batteries to wear out then you don't have to buy new authenticators. I would really to see a unit with backlighting also. In dim light it is often difficult to make the numbers out.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
08/01/2011 08:23 AMPosted by Efilnikufsin
I would feel much safer with an "opt out" solution. I don't mind authenticating at every log-in. A USB authenticator may well be a better approach but will probably not happen. If you don't have batteries to wear out then you don't have to buy new authenticators. I would really to see a unit with backlighting also. In dim light it is often difficult to make the numbers out.

They are looking in to an opt out option, check the blue post in this thread: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2878770591?page=8#148.
A usb authenticator is bad in that if the computer is comprimised then the usb authenticator could be as well while a separate one would not be.The batteries they should last around 5 to 6 years, maybe more. The dim light its a trade off unless you download one of the authenticator apps for smartphones.
Edited by Anshahak on 8/1/2011 10:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior

Well, the ignorant masses have complained and asked for a way to become less secure again so it took them a bit to get around to it.

so because players wanted to actually know theyre safer by inputting their code each time rather than blindly assume the system is secure they are ignorant masses

He is either ignorant or a troll.
Edited by Anshahak on 8/2/2011 8:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I love not having to type in the code every time.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
08/02/2011 12:56 PMPosted by Velathel
a guildie with an authenticator (alt guild) got hacked, he managed to kick the hacker off and change his pass but he actually had gotten hacked with an authenticator, he had to fight while he changed his password, not that secure, one log in would keep the hacker off

How recently?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
07/26/2011 02:30 PMPosted by Eiyghon
Man I have a career in the IT field dealing with the security side of networks and I still don't get what is wrong with this change. Kudos to Blizzard though for giving the people what they want.

Mostly people don't understand... and they follow all the conspiracy theories related to not being "secure".

I welcomed the change and have loved not needing to type in my code every time. But I do appreciate Blizzard giving the option since so many asked for it.

This, basically. Every time there's a slight change about anything, people go all crazy. Make it a security-related change and suddenly everyone thinks they'll automatically be hacked.

This is like all the people who were up in arms about being stalked over the original battle.net friendlist thingy.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
08/02/2011 11:36 PMPosted by Widgette
Make it a security-related change and suddenly everyone thinks they'll automatically be hacked.

When the authenticator was introduced many embraced it for the increase in security. But with the change to once a week, security has been lessened. The account though is still more secure than not having one. But with the lessening of security I do not think I will be automatically hacked, it's just that it will be easier for a hacker.
Edited by Anshahak on 8/3/2011 5:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Mostly people don't understand... and they follow all the conspiracy theories related to not being "secure".

I welcomed the change and have loved not needing to type in my code every time. But I do appreciate Blizzard giving the option since so many asked for it.

Personally, I love the change when I'm using my regular computer and I don't have to reach for my iPod touch every time I log in or change accounts. However, a few weeks back I borrowed a friend's laptop to play (while waiting on a replacement graphics card for the one I burned out) and I didn't particularly like that after one successful login with my authenticator, that laptop was considered just as good as my regular computer and I didn't get prompted anymore. My friend with the laptop would still need my password to get into my account.... but still, it would be nice to have an option to keep being prompted for the authenticator code in situations like that one where a computer is being shared.

Doesn't quite work like that. As soon as you log in on your regular PC again, it will remove the tag from the laptop, and you (or your friend) would have to use the auth next time you tried to log into it again. basically, you will only have one PC tagged as verified and not needing an Authenticator at a time.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Yeah I like not having to find my ipod everytime I wanted to log into WoW.
I haven't had any problems with this new system either. I use two different computers and it usually doesn't ask me for my code for either - Unless I haven't been on one of them for over a week.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
08/03/2011 06:41 AMPosted by Vígbjörn
As soon as you log in on your regular PC again, it will remove the tag from the laptop, and you (or your friend) would have to use the auth next time you tried to log into it again. basically, you will only have one PC tagged as verified and not needing an Authenticator at a time.

Not true.
I play on three computers (work, personal desktop, personal laptop). There is no rhyme or reason to when one of them will ask for code entry on login. But I definitely don't have to enter a code every time I change from one computer to another.

It's nice not having to enter the code every time. I guess.

But at the same time, I wish there was a "do not authorize this computer" option, or something like that, or however it works. I have no clue how it works. But I'd like that kind of option.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
08/03/2011 06:41 AMPosted by Vígbjörn
Doesn't quite work like that. As soon as you log in on your regular PC again, it will remove the tag from the laptop, and you (or your friend) would have to use the auth next time you tried to log into it again. basically, you will only have one PC tagged as verified and not needing an Authenticator at a time.

Well if it did work like that it would be a bit more secure.
But unfortunately you’re wrong; you can have multiple computers tagged as safe at the same time.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman

If you got that info from my post roughly a week ago, that information turned out to be incorrect and I posted a retraction that evening.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
So, anyone hear anything about them looking into making the new authenticator system opt-out?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
So, anyone hear anything about them looking into making the new authenticator system opt-out?

You didn't even read the blue post, did you?

I did. they said they were looking into it. I want to know where they are at in looking into it. That's what my post was trying to convey, but apparently it did so poorly.
Edited by Anshahak on 8/4/2011 8:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]