About the Recent Authenticator Change

85 Undead Warrior
Anything would be nice.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
08/06/2011 08:50 PMPosted by Larkin
Anything would be nice.

There's already a blue reply in this thread.

He's asking for a progress update, Larkin, not whether or not an opt-out will be implemented. Considering that when Zarhym posted the developers hadn't even yet decided whether the system would be opt-in or opt-out, it would be nice to know what they finally decided to go with. Or whether there HAS been a decision on system design yet! And it's probably wayyyy too early still, but a rough estimate on a release date would also be nice! :-)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
Still nothing. *sigh*
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
Checking in. Anything? Anything at all?

Nope? Well, what if I offer bacon waffles?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Nada, but it's not too surprising considering they were still working out how to implement the fix when it got announced. It's going to be a while. Honestly, I expect to see it with the next patch. And yes, I'm aware that that's months away.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman

Doesn't quite work like that. As soon as you log in on your regular PC again, it will remove the tag from the laptop, and you (or your friend) would have to use the auth next time you tried to log into it again. basically, you will only have one PC tagged as verified and not needing an Authenticator at a time.

If you got that info from my post roughly a week ago, that information turned out to be incorrect and I posted a retraction that evening.

No, I got the info from the blue original blue post explaining the change when it was first implemented, and from the fact that I can only have one PC tagged as not needing an auth at a time in practical experience.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman

If you got that info from my post roughly a week ago, that information turned out to be incorrect and I posted a retraction that evening.

No, I got the info from the blue original blue post explaining the change when it was first implemented, and from the fact that I can only have one PC tagged as not needing an auth at a time in practical experience.

If so, you're one of the lucky ones. I can log in on my computer, get up and walk over to my b-friend's computer, log in on his, and not get asked. And then walk back to mine, log in again, and again not get asked. We also had multiple reports of people being able to log in on computers across the country and not get prompted.

Also, WHERE did you get your info? Can you post a link to it? The only blue post I saw was the one stating that the change had been made, and it certainly neither explained the change nor stated anything about only one computer being authenticated at a time. As a matter of fact, if a blue had stated this, it would have eliminated quite a few player concerns.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
We understand the concern many players have with the recent Battle.net authenticator changes. To that end, we’re exploring the idea of adding an “Opt Out” option within Battle.net Account Management, which would then force the prompt for an authenticator code whenever you log into World of Warcraft.

To be clear, we have gone to great lengths to ensure Battle.net accounts and authenticators provide players with a high level of security. Maintaining a safe and secure Blizzard gameplay environment remains a top priority for us.

Perhaps making it an Opt-In to the new system for each system you visit vs an Opt-Out across the entire account.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
Hello Blizzard. It's me again, checking in. I know you haven't forgotten those of us that would like an opt in feature and I know you will give us info when you are ready. But in case you've gotten busy and it's slipped your mind.

*POKE*
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Indeed. Last info we had was on 7/26/2011. (I have every single one of the threads pinned as a permanent tab.) That was over a month ago (with the change being a month older than that). That should be enough time for a decision to have been made as to how exactly the correction will work, and hopefully have a beta version of it up and running. Even if it's not that far along yet, a progress update would be lovely, if you don't mind, Zarhym!

Though I will admit that there's a part of me that's terrified that the auth fix will become another Dance Studio. We've certainly heard nothing of it since that one post over a month ago. I'd been hoping that maybe they'd decided to save it for 4.3, but so far nada. Please don't let this have been a bait and switch...
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Anything at all would be nice.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
*sigh*
Edited by Ironstout on 9/8/2011 5:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
It's strange that this change was rolled out to WoW first.

I personally regret purchasing Starcraft2 on the same email address as my WoW account because I've been forced to annoyingly enter this code every time I login to SC2 (which has nothing to Steal!). I also think it's silly I have to use it to login to the web forums.. (what are they going to do, post as me?) Right now it's still challenging me EVERY TIME in SC2, yet WoW it's not challenging me at all.

I'd like a per-location control of this feature.. then I could set it as:

WoW : ALWAYS ON
SC2 : ALWAYS OFF
Web Forums : ALWAYS OFF

I can't trust this crazy sometimes-display thing, especially with so little information about how it works. Is it using a cookie on the machine which can be stolen? It is using my cable-modem provider's IP range? (in which case any computer inside the range would "look like" mine, but perhaps attacks are usually not even from the same country?)

I also think some of the backlash from this feature could be avoided if it simply displayed a visual indication in the client that it knows I'm an auth user, but that it's not asking me for the auth-code right now. I say some, because it still would leave me with this feeling that someone can login to my account without the authenticator token (because it IS possible), and because of that, I'd still want to opt-out of this mis-feature for WoW.

Edited by Aranza on 9/12/2011 9:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Please implement now. Or let us know if your not going to.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Eh, it's still valid. Please give us the option to opt out of this.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Would you prefer that we start a new thread, Raven? Actually, I might anyway. Worked the LAST time we were looking for an answer... And as far as I can tell, every single one of the concerns brought up are still 100% valid.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]