Edited by Ironstout on 9/26/2011 5:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Rogue
09/24/2011 10:02 PMPosted by Ravenhawke
ugh, Necro thread

Its not a necro, broski.
Reply Quote
93 Troll Shaman
I am literally dumbfounded at the amount of people that are complaining and leaving their accounts over the authenticator change.

Name one other service besides google that offers two-way authentication. It's another step that is offered for your convenience because you are too stupid to secure your computer and your login.

Quit complaining because you don't have to enter in your authenticator, and learn to secure your computer.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2743697739?page=17#326
This post nicely sums up (and provides links to) the various reasons many of us want an opt-out/-in.

As for securing our computers? Most of us wanting to opt-out DO do everything in our power and at our various levels of technical expertise, to protect our computers. Short of permanently disconnecting your computer from the internet and never allowing ANYTHING (including flash drives, updates, and that document your boss asked you to take home from work) new onto your computer, it is impossible to secure your computer 100%. The different methods of 'securing' your computer are merely throwing road-bumps between your computer and an attempted hacker. The more road-bumps there are, the better the chance that they will consider your computer to be too much trouble to bother with. The Authenticator WAS another (rather substantial) road-bump. This road-bump has now had the top six inches chopped off of it.

Just because YOU feel comfortable with your current number of road-bumps doesn't mean that everyone else does. We were, and are, asking for a way to opt-out if we wish. This will impact you in no way. All you have to do is ignore the checkbox in your Account Options. Why does it bother you that some of the rest of us would like another layer of protection? One that you are in no way obligated to use?

Edit: corrected a word choice.
Edited by Shadowwind on 9/26/2011 5:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I am literally dumbfounded at the amount of people that are complaining and leaving their accounts over the authenticator change.

Name one other service besides google that offers two-way authentication. It's another step that is offered for your convenience because you are too stupid to secure your computer and your login.

Quit complaining because you don't have to enter in your authenticator, and learn to secure your computer.

<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2743697739?page=17#326">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2743697739?page=17#326</a>
This post nicely sums up (and provides links to) the various reasons many of us want an opt-out/-in.

As for securing our computers? Most of us wanting to opt-out DO do everything in our power and at our various levels of technical expertise, to protect our computers. Short of permanently disconnecting your computer from the internet and never allowing ANYTHING (including flash drives, updates, and that document your boss asked you to take home from work) new onto your computer, it is impossible to secure your computer 100%. The different methods of 'securing' your computer are merely throwing road-bumps between your computer and an attempted hacker. The more road-bumps there are, the better the chance that they will consider your computer to be too much trouble to bother with. The Authenticator WAS another (rather substantial) road-bump. This road-bump has now had the top six inches chopped off of it.

Just because YOU feel comfortable with your current number of road-bumps doesn't mean that everyone else does. We were, and are, asking for a way to opt-out if we wish. This will impact you in no way. All you have to do is ignore the checkbox in your Account Options. Why does it bother you that some of the rest of us would like another layer of protection? One that you are in no way obligated to use?

Edit: corrected a word choice.

Might I add that part of the reason there are those of us that want this extra protection is because hacking WoW accounts is very lucrative for gold sellers so they are a prime target. They are constantly looking for new ways to take over accounts, and all the security you have usually depends on what has been found and the measure that is put out after the security breach been released into the "wilds" of the internet. The authenticator made sure that with every login it was a pain in the butt for hackers because they had to do MItM attacks. Now they don't. And it's the loss of that security that has people quitting.
Reply Quote
93 Troll Shaman
Put a ticket in this morning. Got the following response.

"Howdy!

Thank you for contacting Blizzard Customer Service.

I've not heard about any update regarding and opt-in option for authenticator logins. Please continue to monitor the forums for updates."

Yeah. Sounds to me like that announcement back in July was someone up in the management structure trying (and succeeding) to get us to shut up.
Reply Quote
93 Troll Shaman
The very first thread is back, the one that was deleted a couple of months back! Hopeful sign, maybe? Whatever happened, it was a fairly recent change, as the pinned tab that used to hold that thread was blank up until a few days ago. (And for the record, yes, I have every single one of the threads pinned for easy access.) Just checked, and the rest of the threads are still intact. Hmm. /crosses fingers

For anyone interested, it's at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2674529777?page=1
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The very first thread is back, the one that was deleted a couple of months back! Hopeful sign, maybe? Whatever happened, it was a fairly recent change, as the pinned tab that used to hold that thread was blank up until a few days ago. (And for the record, yes, I have every single one of the threads pinned for easy access.) Just checked, and the rest of the threads are still intact. Hmm. /crosses fingers

For anyone interested, it's at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2674529777?page=1

SWEET! (the toon formerly known as Ironstout)
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Shadowwind, I just noticed that myself. Glad to see it poofed back into existence! There was some great posts there.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Put a ticket in this morning. Got the following response.

"Howdy!

Thank you for contacting Blizzard Customer Service.

I've not heard about any update regarding and opt-in option for authenticator logins. Please continue to monitor the forums for updates."

Yeah. Sounds to me like that announcement back in July was someone up in the management structure trying (and succeeding) to get us to shut up.

Not necessarily. You assume that everyone who works for any company knows everything that's going on and that's not always the case. The person you spoke to was just some customer service peon, and they may or may not know what's being worked on and may not even be free to share that information yet if they did.

Just settle down. :)
Reply Quote
93 Troll Shaman
From BlizCon today:
Question: "As a parent, I love my authenticator, because when the kids are grounded, I take it away. Now I don't have that! Is there an option to take that away?"

Answer: "Soon! It's something we're actively working on."

YES!!! It IS still in the works! To you nameless questioner: thank you, from the very bottom of my heart.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/10/22/blizzcon-2011-open-qanda-panel-liveblog/ , at 5:49 pm, for anyone interested.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]