About the Recent Authenticator Change

90 Night Elf Druid
Did a mod change the thread title? Surprised this duplicate thread got a blue response and not a lock for intentionally violating policies and not a response given on the thread of which this one was copied from.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Is there currently, or will there be, a way to not get the "We've detected a change in your login patterns, please change your password"? I play both from my home where I work and go to school as well as take my laptop "home" with me to my hometown quite often. I've had to change my password some 4 or 5 times in the past couple weeks due to the "change in my login patterns" and would really like to stop having to jump through that hoop.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
The "sometimes" needing to have my authenticator is pretty annoying. When I have my authenticator in front of me, WoW never asks me for it. When it's all the way across the room in my purse, that's when I'm always asked for it. I'm starting to think there's a hidden camera above my desk somewhere...

/tinfoil hat
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Mostly people don't understand... and they follow all the conspiracy theories related to not being "secure".

I welcomed the change and have loved not needing to type in my code every time. But I do appreciate Blizzard giving the option since so many asked for it.

Personally, I love the change when I'm using my regular computer and I don't have to reach for my iPod touch every time I log in or change accounts. However, a few weeks back I borrowed a friend's laptop to play (while waiting on a replacement graphics card for the one I burned out) and I didn't particularly like that after one successful login with my authenticator, that laptop was considered just as good as my regular computer and I didn't get prompted anymore. My friend with the laptop would still need my password to get into my account.... but still, it would be nice to have an option to keep being prompted for the authenticator code in situations like that one where a computer is being shared.

Oh yes I agree 100% on that point. Honestly I would love to see a system where you can put your main computer down as a trusted PC. That way you don't get prompted when playing from home, but if you are ever out and about, you will need the trusty authenticator to get into your account.

Edit: However, I haven't looked into the secure side of my idea fully yet. It would very much depend on how they would register the "main" computer as safe, or even just the IP for location.

Edit 2: There is a reason I am in the computer field and not an English teacher. :/
Edited by Vathril on 7/26/2011 3:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
We understand the concern many players have with the recent Battle.net authenticator changes. To that end, we’re exploring the idea of adding an “Opt Out” option within Battle.net Account Management, which would then force the prompt for an authenticator code whenever you log into World of Warcraft.

To be clear, we have gone to great lengths to ensure Battle.net accounts and authenticators provide players with a high level of security. Maintaining a safe and secure Blizzard gameplay environment remains a top priority for us.

Isn't this going about it a little backwards?

I recently added an authenticator to my account. While I don't ever want to have to enter the code while I'm at my home computer, if I were to visit a friend's house and use his, I'd sure want it to force the code each time.

Wouldn't an opt-in make more sense? You have to enter the code every time unless you log in to account management from the computer you want it to save it for? Or since that seems kind of impossible (thinking about colleges here where there may be many computers behind one IP), maybe it should just be done at the login page.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
We understand the concern many players have with the recent Battle.net authenticator changes. To that end, we’re exploring the idea of adding an “Opt Out” option within Battle.net Account Management, which would then force the prompt for an authenticator code whenever you log into World of Warcraft.

To be clear, we have gone to great lengths to ensure Battle.net accounts and authenticators provide players with a high level of security. Maintaining a safe and secure Blizzard gameplay environment remains a top priority for us.

Thank you, thats all we were asking for
Reply Quote
Community Manager

I recently added an authenticator to my account. While I don't ever want to have to enter the code while I'm at my home computer, if I were to visit a friend's house and use his, I'd sure want it to force the code each time.

Wouldn't an opt-in make more sense? You have to enter the code every time unless you log in to account management from the computer you want it to save it for? Or since that seems kind of impossible (thinking about colleges here where there may be many computers behind one IP), maybe it should just be done at the login page.

We've been discussing the best way to implement new options for this feature since the moment it was announced. We don't yet have additional details about exactly how we might implement the feature, or whether it's something you'll need to opt out of by default, or opt into by default.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Zarhym, out of pure curiosity, what happened to the original thread? There was some great reference material there!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
You know your cell phone records your movements and your location hundreds of times a day?

Unless you're worried about the people you live with or around, there is no reason to demand the authenticator from home, and if you don't trust them I suspect your computer is locked down like Fort Knox on the Fourth of July so what do you have to worry about?

I love the changes and I think that if it went back to always requiring the code I would be rather upset, since such an action would be based off the reactions of the angrily uneducated who had no understanding what they were complaining about (for the record I did read those threads, as much as I could bear before I had a powerful urge to scour my eye sockets with sandpaper).
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Any chance of making a similar change to the forums? I love the change btw.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

We've been discussing the best way to implement new options for this feature since the moment it was announced. We don't yet have additional details about exactly how we might implement the feature, or whether it's something you'll need to opt out of by default, or opt into by default.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to finally get an official response. That's all the majority of posters want, on either side of the issue, is the ability to choose to prompt every time or not.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
07/26/2011 03:30 PMPosted by Kodiack
Zarhym, out of pure curiosity, what happened to the original thread? There was some great reference material there!

I'm not sure. I just came across this one and wanted to get some visibility on the fact that we've been gathering player feedback on this change all along.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
07/26/2011 01:53 PMPosted by Zarhym

Thank you. An opt out would be what many people want, without angering those who like the change. This is simple and pleasant.

Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Xanzul, Might wanna jump ahead to the blue post, dude.
Edited by Gallante on 7/26/2011 4:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
07/26/2011 02:14 PMPosted by Vathril
Man I have a career in the IT field dealing with the security side of networks and I still don't get what is wrong with this change. Kudos to Blizzard though for giving the people what they want.

I love this change and most people don't understand that it is still secure. Funny how the majority of IT people understand and say this is still safe yet the "know it all" kids think it isn't safe. Of course there are plenty of people as well that think the twin towers came down by our own explsions, lol. Anyways having the option will quiet the masses of well, let's just leave it as the people that don't understand.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]