Reasons to up trial trade skill cap to 125

(Locked)

90 Troll Mage
I think paying accounts should have an inherrant advantage over trials, if that means they can get better crafted gear than so be it.
85 Undead Priest
The only things I would find reasonable for trial accounts is being able to whisper other players, or inviting others to groups.

Now before you say "bla bla bla it's p2p", first off please explain why whispers and inviting others to group is harmful. Nothing? Ok then listen.

Now a good thing about whispering other players is they can't ask you for gold because they can't receive it anyway. If they do ask for it, just ignore them. Simple.

And I don't see why as a trial you can't invite others to groups. It's just pointless. There is no reason for it. Have a friend who's also a trial? Guess what you're SoL, it's not like a player is going to do it for you, unless you pay them. But you're a trial remember?

Now, again before you say "well maybe you should upgrade your account because it's a p2p game and I pay to play so you should too" stop and listen. Let's just think logically for a second here. There are a ton of trial twinks capped at level 20 enjoying themselves and playing for free. Yes, but guess what? Those players have actual accounts they pay for as well. A new player more than likely just wants to get at max level and see the world.
A new player on a trial would get stuck at level 20 and be wanting more. So guess what they do? They go buy more game time.

Now let's think about something else here. If a new player realizes he can't whisper other players or invite his friends to group until he/she pays for his/her game they're going to feel cheated and will probably quit right there. Let's face it, there is no way a person will be like "Oh so I need to have a full account to do these things. Okay /upgrade".

Anyway, if they add those two things to trial accounts I'm sure people would be satisfied. And who knows, maybe we'll make up for that 300k sub loss :P
Edited by Mindfreakz on 8/20/2011 3:11 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Rogue
08/20/2011 03:03 PMPosted by Mindfreakz
first off please explain why whispers and inviting others to group is harmful. Nothing? Ok then listen.

Because you'd have free accounts whisper spamming everyone. Not all the free accounts would be legitimate trial players, many of them would be gold spammers. As it stands right now, gold sellers have to compromise other people's accounts before they can whisper spam their "buy gold from us" sales pitch because the free accounts can't whisper and paying for their own accounts just for spamming (which gets said accounts banned very quickly) will eat into their profits if they have to do that all the time. Because they have to compromise someone else's account before they can spam their sales pitch, this limits the gold spamming to tracked and active accounts with a paper trail and only people who actually fell for a prior sales pitch. So for these reasons, the number of gold sales pitches is actually quite low when you consider how many people there are playing this game.

Now if the F2P trials could whisper people, you'd have gold spammers making new accounts like crazy just for whispering people saying "head over to *url for gold site with a keylogger* cheapest WoW gold on the internet only *insert random amount of gold:dollar conversion rate*" and since they're free accounts, who cares if it gets banned, just make a new one. You wouldn't be able to carry on a conversation with anyone without getting bombarded with random whispers. Chat logs will fill up so fast that you wouldn't see important game play messages (like when an auction of yours was sold, when a friend that you wanted to talk to logged in, when you leveled up and got a new ability, or when that rep you've been grinding for days/weeks hit the threshold you were waiting for).

How do I know this? Because way back when, when trial accounts were first introduced, for a very short time they had whispering capabilities. And that's what happened, so Blizzard very quickly squashed it.
Edited by Avanna on 8/20/2011 3:53 PM PDT
85 Undead Priest
first off please explain why whispers and inviting others to group is harmful. Nothing? Ok then listen.
Not all the free accounts would be legitimate trial players, many of them would be gold spammers.

I see your point about whispering. But what about inviting others to groups?
Edited by Mindfreakz on 8/20/2011 4:16 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Rogue
08/20/2011 04:15 PMPosted by Mindfreakz

With groups you automatically get group chat, you'd have gold spammers inviting everyone they see to a group in hopes that someone would click "accept" just so they could spam them with gold selling ads.
85 Night Elf Druid
08/20/2011 04:15 PMPosted by Mindfreakz
Not all the free accounts would be legitimate trial players, many of them would be gold spammers.

You must not have been around when trials could invite you to groups. You couldn't go 30 seconds without being spammed by some level 1 in Elwynn Forest or Tirisfal Glades trying to invite you to a group to spam you with gold selling crap. Players even created AddOns to block all invites and whispers from low level characters because it was that bad. Do I want to go back to those old days? Hell to the effing NO.
40 Night Elf Hunter
make it to where trials ahve to pay 10 gold(the cap) for both whispering and grouping, most spammers wont take the time to earn the 10 gold needed, which is quite hard if your a dps class/talent
90 Night Elf Rogue
08/21/2011 07:19 AMPosted by Metca
most spammers wont take the time to earn the 10 gold needed, which is quite hard if your a dps class/talent

Actually since most gold spammers use bots (very against ToU and bannable offense) to farm gold on characters they steal, it would be no problem to put one on a trial account to farm the 10g.
08/21/2011 07:19 AMPosted by Metca
make it to where trials ahve to pay 10 gold(the cap) for both whispering and grouping, most spammers wont take the time to earn the 10 gold needed, which is quite hard if your a dps class/talent

I have a better idea -- make it to where people have to pay a fee, I dunno, maybe $15 a month or something, just spitballing here of course, to group and whisper.

We may have to throw in some other benefits, but I think you may be on to something with the whole "pay for the enhancements" angle.
40 Night Elf Hunter
or maybe make AH, whisper group and all other aspects of game other than lvling past 20, and lifting gold cap, less than paying for full like maybe 10 dollar for AH, whisper group lvling proffs past 100 ect
90 Night Elf Rogue
08/21/2011 09:50 AMPosted by Metca
or maybe make AH, whisper group and all other aspects of game other than lvling past 20, and lifting gold cap, less than paying for full like maybe 10 dollar for AH, whisper group lvling proffs past 100 ect

Umm, so you want full features of the game by being able to pay for the full subscription fee, without purchasing the game license to actually play?

NO.
85 Night Elf Druid
08/21/2011 09:50 AMPosted by Metca

Increase that to $15 and throw in a $20 game license and you have a deal.

Oh wait.
85 Human Warrior
what about the mailbox? lol my own fault i had a full inventory during a RDF group and the not so helpful sack of goods was sent to my mailbox...haha it's toying with me
90 Pandaren Warrior
I see how this could go either way. On one hand, like you said, its a very minor change that would provide a lot of benefit to trails. On the other hand, it IS a minor change, in the fact that many trial accounts probably have no professions, thus rendering the time to make the patch wasted. As far as I know the trails are just to pull in those people interested in the game. More like a gimmick for sales rather than helping people learn the game...
89 Undead Priest
You seem to be really enjoying the game, so I assume that you can't buy it for some reason? If you can, seriously consider it, this is not meant to be free to play game. Fact is your posts are well constructed and to the point, which is great for a new player. We would love to have you play p2p.

In any case part of the reason may be to deter gold farming, but a more important reason is the fact that they don't want trial players to play for a long time. WoW is a business, remember that.
20 Tauren Hunter
i am on a trial account writing this, i already know i will not be upgrading. ill play to 20 since i made it most of the way before making my decision. ill explain

my friend and i made accounts, we cannot speak or group, we cannot trade or share anything. some friendly people offered us some help, we could not accept it. my bags were full when random dungeon loot was awarded, it went to my mail box, i cannot open mail box, i have !@#$ty bags i went to ah to buy a new bag, i cannot buy from ah. other things also bothered me but its like this

subscription style games have the commerce/business come before the gameplay. if a trial is this messed up i cant imagine how much deliberate time wasting/grinding or other limitations are waiting for me even in a full account.

85 Night Elf Druid
i am on a trial account writing this, i already know i will not be upgrading. ill play to 20 since i made it most of the way before making my decision. ill explain

my friend and i made accounts, we cannot speak or group, we cannot trade or share anything. some friendly people offered us some help, we could not accept it. my bags were full when random dungeon loot was awarded, it went to my mail box, i cannot open mail box, i have !@#$ty bags i went to ah to buy a new bag, i cannot buy from ah. other things also bothered me but its like this

subscription style games have the commerce/business come before the gameplay. if a trial is this messed up i cant imagine how much deliberate time wasting/grinding or other limitations are waiting for me even in a full account.

The restrictions are there for a reason.

AH/gold cap/trade limits - to deter gold spammers from using trial accounts as mules
group/social/talking limits - to deter gold spammers from using trial accounts as barkers
guild/tradeskill limits - to get to you to buy the game

Oh boo hoo, features are locked to you because you're not a paying customer. Cry me a river then build a bridge and get over it. Trials are meant to be locked down so you can get just a taste of the game to decide if you want to purchase it.
Edited by Icedragon on 8/28/2011 7:27 PM PDT
- World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Did you even bother reading any of the previous posts, clarifying WHY these restrictions are in place?

The restrictions are removed when you buy a full account. You will get access to EVERYTHING you're whining about when you upgrade. You get the full experience... when you PAY for it.

You get what you pay for. You want the quality experience? Pay for it. If you don't want to, don't act so surprised and offended when your experience is limited. Blizzard is not a charity giving quality gaming experiences to the poor. They're a business. Give them your business and you will receive the game experience you're looking for.

It baffles me that you would whine about how restrictive the game is, when you know perfectly well these restrictions are a result of being a trial account.
20 Tauren Priest
I think that for a number of us, it's really not about money. We own the game (all the expansions, even), but we want a different playstyle. We might even like to think that if we pay a monthly fee, we could look forward to new content for our level-capped characters. New level 20 bgs, new level 20 dungeons, new level 20 questing areas. It's true that eactivating our paid accounts would net us certain benefits, but if you really don't want to be sucked into the end-game carrot chase, giving Blizzard money that will largely go to providing new level-85 content isn't a very attractive option.

As for professions, I don't see a need to raise the skill cap, but I do see a need for Blizzard to look at their 1-100 recipe lists and add recipes for caster druids and shaman and holy paladins to leatherworking and blacksmithing. 1-100 Horde leatherworkers can train exactly one recipe that carries int (Alliance can do a quest for a second recipe and there's a third that is a rare world drop). There are many more with agility. I didn't see any caster mail for paladins, at all. Imbalance in low-level PC is a complex problem, but equalizing access to crafted gear seems to me an obvious step in its solution.
Edited by Aaheli on 8/29/2011 3:43 PM PDT
As for professions, I don't see a need to raise the skill cap, but I do see a need for Blizzard to look at their 1-100 recipe lists and add recipes for caster druids and shaman and holy paladins to leatherworking and blacksmithing. 1-100 Horde leatherworkers can train exactly one recipe that carries int (Alliance can do a quest for a second recipe and there's a third that is a rare world drop). There are many more with agility. I didn't see any caster mail for paladins, at all. Imbalance in low-level PC is a complex problem, but equalizing access to crafted gear seems to me an obvious step in its solution.

08/19/2011 10:24 AMPosted by Jåy
I think paying accounts should have an inherrant advantage over trials, if that means they can get better crafted gear than so be it.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]