Reasons to up trial trade skill cap to 125

(Locked)

18 Troll Priest
Trial accounts are limited in many ways: no guilds, trade, auction house, mail, and a max level of 20.

But one of the most annoying limitations is that profession skills (which are completely optional to gameplay) are capped at a max of 100. Not 300 (Classic cap), not 225 (max for level 20), nor 150 (max at journeyman skill level). No, it's level 100, and I have no idea why.

IF it were bumped up to a more reasonable number like 125 (the level one could normally l
Would this minor, minor upgrade effect gold farmers (presumably the reason for the cap)? Yeah, but not by much. But people playing on trial accounts would actually see some reason to invest time into professions and even get some perfectly level appropriate rewards out of the deal.

Plus, it'll help out the twinks....

WoW is not a Free2Play game. Period.

WoW is a subscription based game that allows players to "test drive" it before they buy. When test driving you are allowed to get a taste of things to come *IF* you were to purchase the whole game.

Professions are typically considered "at level" if you have leveled them 5 pts for each toon level. A level 20 toon would be profession level 100. So you've gotten a taste of professions and how you could twink if you could get further in your professions. Time to buy the game if you want those features like the other 11+ Million players have.

As a marketing tool, the Starter Edition is working as intended.
Edited by Christiê on 8/30/2011 10:06 AM PDT
87 Worgen Mage
However, for a player to create a death knight they need to already have a character that is at or above level 55. So, the new people joining the game will experience playing through levels 1-55.
90 Night Elf Rogue
08/30/2011 12:49 PMPosted by Anurag
AFAIK a DK starts at level 54 without the player having needed to play through levels 1-53. It could be a sign that Blizzard plans to abandon old content eventually. Or maybe start up a new, replacement game.

lvl 55 actually, and you can only make a DK if you already have leveled at least one character to level 55 first. The DK's have been around for 3 years now, they're not something new.
90 Night Elf Rogue
Old-time players naturally drop off as they lose interest in WoW, find something else, or whatever, and not all of them come back someday

Other than having real-life priorities change, most veteran players only stop playing when there's nothing more for their level capped characters to do and they get bored of doing the same thing (same dungeons, raids, dailies) every time they log in. To keep them playing blizzard keeps adding new content for them to do, adding some raids, dungeons, making an expansion that raises the cap and gives them new zones to level through, etc.

Since new players can get to level cap in a matter of a few months, it doesn't take long for a new player to get bored of WoW either if there isn't something new for their newly level-capped characters to do.
If Blizzard has a genuine interest in maintaining its subscriber numbers, however, it will pay some attention to the vanilla, BC and WotLK content that new signups are experiencing for the first time.

Seriously, they should do something about all that old Vanilla content that's out there. It would be boss if they completely revamped the 1-60 leveling process.

Blizz, you should look into that.
78 Orc Death Knight
Anurag... in case you never played pre-cata, the Undead pumpkin-head was being sarcastic...
They totally redid the "old" content (aside from BC / WotLK) for the Cataclysm.
85 Blood Elf Mage
Can we let this topic die? the horse is dead. Blizzard isnt going to do anything for Trial accounts, the game is about progression. moving towards level cap and doing content there.
78 Orc Death Knight
08/30/2011 01:56 PMPosted by Arranth
Can we let this topic die? the horse is dead. Blizzard isnt going to do anything for Trial accounts, the game is about progression. moving towards level cap and doing content there.

The trials like to think of this as their personal QQ forum... >.<
So every day or so, one of them resurrects the horse to continue beating it...
20 Dwarf Shaman
The only change I would see Blizzard applying to Starter Accounts is allowing the ability to receive Blizzard mail (from GMs or NPCs).

This would then fix the full-bag-at-end-of-dungeon issue, as well as allow GMs to send mail to Starter Accounts if they answer a ticket while the player is offline (though you can check these by going to the "Support" link at the top of the website).

This is the only type of issue that trial account players should be bringing up - where an account restriction is causing an issue with part of the gameplay we are supposed to experience. Any other aspect of the game that is being denied us is either to protect paying customers from scammers and spammers, or to entice us to start paying to get the full game.

On that note, has anyone considered that the ban on player to player trades means that if you are running a dungeon with a trial player, and they accidentally need on gear they should not, they are then unable to give that item to the appropriate player?
20 Troll Hunter
The funny thing is even though everyone is screeching that this isn't a free to play game, for the most part Blizzard is more generous with their trial than most free to play games. For example in LOTRO you only have access to quests in four zones, have many class restrictions, limit of 2 characters per server, and can't play pvp. Sure it's possible to just grind your way to level cap, but who wants to do that?

Indeed, I can't think of many f2p games that actually let you pvp for free.
Edited by Smaragdus on 8/30/2011 2:23 PM PDT
08/30/2011 02:22 PMPosted by Smaragdus
everyone is screeching

Really? Hadn't noticed.
20 Tauren Druid
08/30/2011 03:46 PMPosted by Anurag
Thanks for letting me know. In a nutshell, what did it used to be like?

More fragmented questing, the leveling experience was more of a pain, you had to go to zones that weren't next to each other all the time and there was one maybe 2 flight point per zone so you had to run there, and it took FOREVER.

All these cute little mechanics where you get a horse to ride to the "far away" areas (which are no where near as far away as where they used to send you walking) did not exist. All the cues that sent you to the next area in really obvious ways did not exist. All of the quest hubs near to your questing areas didn't exist, you used to end up running all the way back and turn in and get another quest and run back out the the quest area....

Sorry I just quested in Darkshore for the first time since cata, and the closeness of everything just amazed me, I remember hoofing it all over that zone.
85 Night Elf Druid
Anurag... in case you never played pre-cata, the Undead pumpkin-head was being sarcastic...
They totally redid the "old" content (aside from BC / WotLK) for the Cataclysm.

Thanks for letting me know. In a nutshell, what did it used to be like?

Wow, you really are a Cataclysm baby. Damn I feel old now.

Cataclysm literally redid all of the level 1 to level 60 areas from the ground up. Everything is new. Zones have been split apart. The Barrens used to be one entire zone. Azshara was hell to navigate. Flight paths weren't nearly as common. Places where folks were battling (Tarren Mill, Ashenvale) have had progress made in the tug-of-wars (Horde took Southshore, Sentinels are fighting orcs in Ashenvale's outposts).

And you seriously asked for Blizzard to look at the lower level areas? They already did. Hence why the folks here probably deadpanned and rolled their eyes when they read your post.
Edited by Icedragon on 8/30/2011 4:01 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Rogue
08/30/2011 06:55 PMPosted by Anurag
And I note that you edited your post, so I'm tempted to draw conclusions about some insults directed at me having been in the original.

Yeah because everyone knows the only reason to edit a post is to remove blatant insults, it couldn't possibly be from correcting spelling errors or reword something for clarity.

/sarcasm
85 Worgen Death Knight
Blizzard to take another look at the lower level areas. And I note that you edited your post, so I'm tempted to draw conclusions about some insults directed at me having been in the original.

I commonly edit my posts for... typos, additional info, so on and so forth... never assume anything.
85 Night Elf Druid
And I note that you edited your post, so I'm tempted to draw conclusions about some insults directed at me having been in the original.

You...what the hell? I fixed a typo because I had misspelled "Ashenvale" and are you honestly that paranoid that you believe every post edit is to remove an insult directed at you? Browsing the forums must be a horrible, nerve-wracking experience in that case. Lighten up.
85 Dwarf Paladin
08/30/2011 06:59 PMPosted by Avanna

Yeah because everyone knows the only reason to edit a post is to remove blatant insults, it couldn't possibly be from correcting spelling errors or reword something for clarity.

/sarcasm

/GASP

It couldn't have been? BUT ALL THIS TIME I'VE BEEN USING IT TO CORRECT MISTAKES!

/weep
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]