A Brief History of Alterac Valley

80 Undead Hunter
Exceptionally crafted post.

Made me nostalgia hard.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I absolutely love the idea of a classic AV, and while I do think it would be sort of interesting for it to be updated to be more modern lore wise, I think it would be even more interesting if they used a Caverns of Time style approach to it, as though you've literally gone back in time to be there for this epic battle.
Foury, sir, you have dazzled me.

There is only one small point in the entirety of this post that I find myself even close to disagreeing upon, which is this.
08/03/2011 01:59 AMPosted by Foury
- Do not add vehicle combat (except possibly the Shredder).

Just don't add vehicles. I beg you, Blizzard, no more. There is a reason IoC, SotA and WG ranged from despised to moderately unpopular. (WG can be claimed a success, but let's be honest, WG was a necessity to have access to PvE bosses and extra farmable materials. It was not due to a love of Player vs. Vehicle/Wall combat).

Dearest Foury, a toast to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ

85 Human Mage
Just don't add vehicles. I beg you, Blizzard, no more. There is a reason IoC, SotA and WG ranged from despised to moderately unpopular. (WG can be claimed a success, but let's be honest, WG was a necessity to have access to PvE bosses and extra farmable materials. It was not due to a love of Player vs. Vehicle/Wall combat).

I would be 100% okay with a decision by Blizzard to never, ever, ever, ever, ever put another vehicle in the game ever again.

Here is a ranking of my favourite-to-least-favourite battlegrounds:

1. Classic AV
2. Arathi Basin
3. Eye of the Storm
4. Battle for Gilneas
5. Twin Peaks
6. Warsong Gulch
7. AFK and play another character for 15 minutes
8. Current iteration of Alterac Valley
9. Strand of the Ancients
10. AFK and hop on a third character because I got IoC twice in a row on random
11. Isle of Conquest

I am now able to sense the Isle of Conquest load screen before it appears. I get this feeling of dread and nausa and I just know I'm gonna be playing my lowbie shammy because a double IoC is about to pop for me.

Oh, and /blush

Dearest Foury, a toast to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ

I wish I could afford scotch right now.
Edited by Foury on 11/3/2011 3:03 AM PDT
80 Gnome Rogue
For those that never saw it, the Goblin Shredder vehicle was actually a lot of fun in old AV and purely optional. You built it yourself with your own mined metal bars, and then picked up a blade within the zone to put the shredder together. It was pretty powerful, and wasn't used against buildings, but to fight other players. A good player controlling it with some decent heal/support helped break stalemates and could give your team a push in gaining ground.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Zinfizzlex%27s_Portable_Shredder_Unit_%28Alliance%29

But...that was part of the charm of old AV....every class had a role, and there were multiple ways to attempt to push the opposition back. Each time you played, things could unfold in a totally different way, which always made the game exciting and dynamic.
85 Night Elf Druid
Wow, I never played classic AV, but it sound AMAZING. Way better than what it is now. After playing through the modern AV countless times, I never knew all those Storm Crystals and quests actually do something. Full support.
85 Undead Mage
classic AV return please!

We should call this movement "Occupy Frostwolf"
19 Night Elf Priest
Perfect!
85 Blood Elf Hunter
As Horde, I pretty much afk out of every AV, its really not worth it at all. I have played classic AV and no one side really complained. Horde really only QQ'd about the bridge, other then that, no other complaints.

I use to love Av and I still long for the old to return, it sucks I leave every one now but as horde the chances of winning are very remotely low.
86 Tauren Druid
I have regularly patrolled the forums for this and that, but have never been compelled to actually respond. Hats off to you OP for one of the best posts I've ever read. It brought back some very fond memories of 1.5 hour long battles with no clear end in sight. Classic AV was hands down, my favorite aspect of the game. Now it's as boring as farming leather. Let the occupy Frostwolf movement begin.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Holy crap this was awesome!

Dude, I've read several of your threads and you do have VERY good writing skills.

You know, when that blue post was first put out there, my thought was, "Yes, I'd rather AV revamp than new stuff. One new quest hub being left out of Wrath won't matter in the long run because we'll quest there once then move on. AV is forever."

Classic AV! BRING. IT. BACK!!
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I am glad to see this post is still getting support. With so many response possitive I find it hard to believe it has not gotten blizzards attention. If they would have spent the time and money they put into IoC into restoring AV back to its past glory, there would be a lot more happier BG players.

I wish that the factions still offered Armor worth using again. I miss those days as well. Now everyone uses the same PVP armor.
Edited by Virgar on 11/4/2011 11:39 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Rogue
With so may response possitive I find it hard to believe it has not gotten blizzards attention..

I'm sure a few of the pvp oriented people at Bliz have read this, or atleast had the same general idea.

<snark>They're too busy making drunk pandas and sparkling ponys to bother with doing alot of work to fix/remake a classic battleground. Too many pve queens play this game I guess.</snark>

I really really hope Bliz would put more resources towards pvp. PvP seems to be less and less important lately. The picture you painted of a really long, hard fought battleground would be incredibly fun. I am so so tired of the alterac zerg.
8 Undead Mage
I used to go around saying something like...

AV 1.0, make it so!
85 Human Warrior
Amazing post. I would love to play more classic AV battles.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
When I have some time to play I would prefer to Q for AV and spend a while just duking it out rather than quickly ending and then Q again hoping to get a good BG. I would prefer just to be able spend my time In AV doing all the quest I can and fighting it out. Want to see the wolf riders again, the large elemental battle.

Would love to rush to the field of strife and see epic pvp taking place. Rarely do you see it full of players. From time to time you catch a small group fighting it out on the field of strife but that is rare. With horde rezzing at thier gy and the allies at theirs and rushing back to the field to keep fighting rather than skirting it to get to the boss.

I remembering having to take down all towers if you expected to take out the final boss. Now it seems one side mainly focuses on two towers then rush the boss. As soon as you see two towers down now you know the game is most likely over.

85 Gnome Warrior
If blizzard did this, I might keep playing into 5.0 and beyond. I frequently force turtles in AV just to remember the good ol' days, and it invariable stirs up a hornet's nest of nerd ragers screaming about how now it's gonna take 30 whole minutes and they're not going to get as much honor. Why pvp if you don't want to pvp? You pvp so you can get honor so you can get the gear, so you can pvp. If you're not willing to pvp along the way, in my opinion, you don't deserve the gear.

Also, requested sticky.
85 Orc Warlock
It would be nice to see such things again, i support the cause foury.

Good work and sticky.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]