A Brief History of Alterac Valley

85 Human Death Knight
I'm glad I took the time to read this post. You have my full support and I say yes to glorious, old AV. True, unfaltering teamwork is something you don't see beyond the raid instance, and something you hardly see at all. Good luck all in the good fight.
/sign
91 Troll Mage
I miss the original AV. Please bring it back. :3
100 Human Mage
I wasn't around for Vanilla and original AV but I would love to see something like this. Battlegrounds in their current state just aren't fun. Many of them (AV, IoC, SotA) are just PVE zergs masquerading as PVP and the others are usually determined by who has the most effective early zerg to cap nodes and then calls incs. The only BG's where you really get any PVP going is CTFs which have their own flaws usually caused by FC or healer imbalance. It seems like only 1 out of every 10 BG's you get in actually turns into an epic battle and most of the time for me that is when a small group intentionally turtles AV.

Blizzard won't do this, especially not after what has happened with Cata. For Cata, Blizz spent a lot of time and resources revamping the old Vanilla zones and they gained absolutely nothing from it. People just constantly complain that there wasn't enough new level cap content. They get more subscribers by adding new content regardless of the quality of the content. They would rather spend resources putting out a new mediocre BG than to revamp an old BG that could be great. That is why they are trying to speed up their development pace and release expansions more often. Each new expansion will have 1-2 new BG's and a new PVP zone but they will just be stale and boring.
85 Tauren Druid
I am really glad I took the time to read this. The creater of this post really knows his stuff about Classic AV and why Blizz should bring it back. The post gives a coherent history of AV and gives good suggestions for what should be brought back (and it made me chuckle at points I might add). I sincerely hope that this post does not go unread by the Blues. I absolutely 100% agree with this post and I really want Blizzard to consider doing this.
85 Human Mage
Blizzard won't do this, especially not after what has happened with Cata. For Cata, Blizz spent a lot of time and resources revamping the old Vanilla zones and they gained absolutely nothing from it.

The thing is though, Alterac Valley is level cap content, and it always will be. Battlegrounds are eternal, and they should be given love accordingly.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/06/2011 01:29 PMPosted by Foury
Blizzard won't do this, especially not after what has happened with Cata. For Cata, Blizz spent a lot of time and resources revamping the old Vanilla zones and they gained absolutely nothing from it.

The thing is though, Alterac Valley is level cap content, and it always will be. Battlegrounds are eternal, and they should be given love accordingly.

I agree 100%. The problem, I think, is that developers and some players do not. They see it on the level of when you are first able to enter. It used to be that you would queue for WSG in the beginning, then AB, and when you were 51 you could finally take part in AV. Not any longer. In this vein of thought, I believe that we players are guilty of fixating a little too much at what the first level of entry would be (10 for WSG.... 46 now for AV? Can't remember) and assuming the BG is only applicable on those levels. This is a minor problem, to be sure, but a potential error in perception that could be corrected.
63 Human Death Knight
Woah...old AV was incredible...playing it again would be a huge relief to the currently boring state of PvP in this game.
100 Orc Hunter
Once upon a time, back when the Horde and the Alliance mounted campaigns against the forces of the Legion in Outland, a young orc hunter hit level 60 and wanted a faster mount. But this young orc was terrible at farming money, and fast mounts were horrendously expensive.

But wait, what's this? There's a mount available that costs no gold, but instead costs marks of honor, earned through blood and sweat in Alterac Valley? This shouldn't take nearly as long as it would to scrimp and save and hoard gold!

So the young orc threw himself into the meat grinder, and fought tooth and nail for those marks of honor. Skirmishes all over the place... in the Field of Strife, in the mines, at the graveyards, back at the Frostwolf base, up in the Stormpike base... so much battle. It wasn't the same as the days-long engagements his friends had spoken of in the older days, but it was challenging, and fun, and when the time came that the young orc had earned the reputation and marks of honor to buy that Frostwolf Howler, he felt a tremendous sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. And he even chose to stay just a bit longer, to earn the marks needed for a tabard, to show off his dedication to the fight in Alterac Valley.

Today, that young orc is older, more mature. Still terrible with his money, but not so much that he's not able to afford himself nice things. His collection of mounts and tabards has grown large since those days, but he still fondly recalls the Frostwolf Howler and Frostwolf Tabard that he fought and died for, and even today still uses them when he feels like it.

But he dreads returning to Alterac Valley. Not because he's burnt out... but because there's no longer any glory or fun to be had there. Just a mindless rush from one side of the map to the other, ignoring the enemy as they charge past. No PvP. No battle. No fun.

I stand with the Alliance mage who began this thread, wholeheartedly in support of his proposal: return Alterac Valley back to the way it was, in the glory days. Return Alterac Valley back to being a BATTLEground and not just a strip of land for players farming honor to Zerg through.
85 Human Mage
My friends, the time has come.

"Save Alterac Valley Letter Writing Campaign"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3559105968
100 Blood Elf Paladin
What about making this the NEW WORLD PVP ZONE, instead of a Queued BG, remove TolBarad, and remake AV to be like old days and the new pvp zone.
90 Orc Hunter
11/07/2011 11:46 PMPosted by Sneakyshroom
i liked the old AV, but i have a life now i wouldn't ever EVER play a 4hr Av ever again.

And you wouldnt have too.

Off. That. Random. Queue.

how bloody hard is that for people to understand?
90 Dwarf Priest
/sign. Please oh please oh please oh please. World of Rushcraft is becoming a shadow of its former self.
90 Undead Mage
the death of av came with battlegroups. once bg's were no longer only server wide that is when the true death of av came.

the ally's stopped signing up for av because we horde used a burned/scorched earth strategy (which still works to this day). we defended gal and turned sh gy. then the defense went north turning sf gy and meeting up with the offense at iw bunker. we slaughtered every ally player that tried to head south and actually capture or do anything to our side of the map. this resulted in ZERO BONUS HONOR for the alliance and that is why they stopped signing up for av.

i want original av back. longest av that i was ever a part of was a 36 hour kill fest on alexstrasza. was in that battle 3 different times.

i get sick and tired of hearing players whine and complain every time i take sf gy for the horde now days. sometimes i get players who actually listen and we do the scorched earth strategy on the ally's and we win in very convincing fashion.

make it so dev's. give us original av as an option to join. i wouldn't join any other bg once that happened because av was epic pvp. every other bg you have now pales in comparison
85 Troll Druid
I say yes to getting back the old AV.

My first reaction to it --> :O
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]