A Brief History of Alterac Valley

85 Blood Elf Mage
Playing AV as Horde is one of the least satisfying experiences in WOW. Since both sides Zerg 95% of the time and the map is specifically designed for a Ally Zerg, I estimate that we lose 3 of 4 AVs.
90 Undead Mage
if you can't get the horde to do this. the horde will most likely continue to lose

http:// www . ice750 . net / av3 . jpg

of course remove the spaces.

this is to provide proof that playing defense at the start is the best way for the horde to win in today's av. ..defend gal, turn sh gy before hitting sh bunker, balinda or iw bunker.

leave 5 back on defense, that's what i played this entire match. defense meet up with the offense at iw bunker..turn it kill the archers and then slaughter every ally who comes up that hill. now you can kill balinda at your own time. turn sh bunker. do not move from this area until sh bunker, balinda, and iw bunker are down..then slowly make your way up the road to sp gy. turn sp gy and stop. do not go any further. they will all rez at their first aid. they must then cross that bridge. you have them completely bottled up. sit there at the bridge and beat them till the reinforcement count hits 0.

any horde player who says you don't want the ally's to turtle doesn't know how to play this map to win it every time. if you never allow the ally's to get south of sh gy and then sp gy..they can NEVER EVER WIN. if they can't get south to turn our towers, kill capt gal or get drek, then they can't win. it's really a very simple concept
85 Orc Rogue
Mate, awesome read of your post, being a player from the Vanilla days I can appreciate what you're describing. I agree with all of your points 100%.

The biggest problem you will find is that WoW is by design a PvE game that has PvP capabilities so I never have great expectations in regards to seeing changes like you have described be implemented (or in this case re-implemented!). I do /salute you for taking the time to compile and post this and do hope you get some blue feedback!
65 Goblin Death Knight
What Damonicus said.

In the rare instances when Horde communicate in advance of an AV battle, it usually amounts to one or two people agreeing to do defense -- our best way to win -- and a bunch of people complaining that we should zerg for the 25% chance at winners honor (and of course the usual 90% of the team who doesn't communicate at all). To those complainers, taking losing honor with no PVP at all is somehow better than an hour spent actually fighting real PVP opponents.

HEY DEVELOPERS: This is one reason why AV is the target of bots; there's really no need to do anything in order to collect honor. In fact, it's become so formulaic that you could probably play AV with 20 bots per team at a time and not even realize it.

Horde wins when 5-10 really good players inspire the team to own and defend our towers and base. Because the Alliance knows they have a huge zerg advantage, nearly all the Alliance run AV for the quick and easy honor. Subject them to a real PVP fight and they start dropping out like flies. They'd rather take the 15 minute penalty than face a one-hour fight. Simple math for simple minds.

The "race" is pure crap and slanted against the Horde. It's not PVP. It's not fun. It is a losing strategy. It's a breeding ground for bots.

This isn't to say that playing AV with a defensive strategy is acceptable. In my earlier post, I pleaded with Blizzard to give back the original AV and still wish they would. Battlegrounds should compel players to PVP conflict and AV doesn't. It's amazing how long this pathetically nerfed version of AV has been allowed to be called a battleground.
Edited by Unfiltered on 11/8/2011 7:36 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Warlock
25 pages of nearly all positive feedback to this post, devs have to notice.

bump bump bump
85 Human Warrior
I think this would be a great idea, as a player since Vanilla and a hardcore PvPer I hope this goes through. I myself would be queing for it as much as I can.
85 Troll Warrior
Yes, oh god yes, please bring back those wolf riders. It's one of the greatest feelings in the world when you ride out on your wolf (Or camel) along side a pack of bloodthirsty wolf riders. Then to see them shred apart the opposing faction while you're healing keep them alive.

I still remember how awesome it looked to see a pack of wolf riders charging at a giant ice elemental with dozens of players nuking it out from behind these awesome fights.
Edited by Bulwarked on 11/8/2011 9:32 AM PST
85 Tauren Death Knight
Good on you Foury. Unfortunately I wasn't around in the "good ol' days of AV" but it sounds like heaps of fun :D. I hope they bring it back!

+1
8 Undead Mage
11/08/2011 06:02 AMPosted by Pyronia
Playing AV as Horde is one of the least satisfying experiences in WOW. Since both sides Zerg 95% of the time
You're a mage. Go stand in the field of strife and frost everyone. Half the team will dismount to kill you. Do this enough and let people know that you are doing this, and you can break a zerg.
and the map is specifically designed for a Ally Zerg,
This old argument? Horde can blitz just fine.
I estimate that we lose 3 of 4 AVs.
Oh?Alterac Valley battles 131
Alterac Valley victories 76
Edited by Phemoir on 11/8/2011 9:15 PM PST
8 Undead Mage
11/08/2011 09:32 AMPosted by Bulwarked
Yes, oh god yes, please bring back those wolf riders.
They are still in. They've always been in. You have to summon them the same as awalys.
86 Tauren Paladin
11/08/2011 09:16 PMPosted by Phemoir
Yes, oh god yes, please bring back those wolf riders.
They are still in. They've always been in. You have to summon them the same as awalys.

Actually, looting the hides for the harness quest has been bugged for a while now.

85 Human Mage
11/08/2011 09:31 PMPosted by Quaero

Actually, looting the hides for the harness quest has been bugged for a while now.

The quest on Alliance side is bugged as well. Not only are the quests not properly maintained, there isn't enough time to complete them due to the zerg strategy. Without elite NPC's to slow down attacking forces, Dun Baldar and Frostwolf Village become overrun before you can finish even a few wolf/ram quests.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3558816068
"A Treatise on Bluetip Threshers"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3424907465
90 Pandaren Shaman
Having never played WoW during Vanilla, I just read the description for the first AV in this thread. Needless to say I got more excited reading that then by any feature Blizzard has coming out in the next year. I would love something like that again if the obvious issues could be worked out.
8 Undead Mage
11/08/2011 11:40 PMPosted by Foury
The quest on Alliance side is bugged as well. Not only are the quests not properly maintained, there isn't enough time to complete them due to the zerg strategy. Without elite NPC's to slow down attacking forces, Dun Baldar and Frostwolf Village become overrun before you can finish even a few wolf/ram quests.
I would argue that not having enough time doesn't make it bugged. I saw the wolf riders ... I want to say last year. I don't have the date, I'd have to dig out the screenshot. But the blitz has not changed in a year.

Now the quest may have been broken since that time, I don't know, but I do know that since blitzing became popular, I have seen the wolf riders. When there were still five minute games, you could turtle enough to get them out (not in a five minute game obviously, but turtling from the start). If you can summon Lok and Ivus (which I've seen this year on multiple occasions), then in theory, baring them actually breaking the quest, they should be able to be summoned as well.

You just have to really try for it. I mean you really would have to have your whole team dedicated to not capping anything, not allowing anything to burn, and simply run around back capping and killing people, while others run hides and animals.

I have personally had the wing commanders in the air in a game this year, so I know that unless they went and broke them, they were to my knowledge all still doable, since they removed the bulk of the NPCs in 2.x or whatever it was.
Edited by Phemoir on 11/8/2011 11:50 PM PST
85 Human Mage
11/08/2011 11:48 PMPosted by Phemoir
I would argue that not having enough time doesn't make it bugged.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

The quest to return rams is bugged- The questgiver did not give me the collar required to tame the rams when I tried to get the quest. This was about two months ago.

Even if it was working, one person (or even a few) cannot reasonably return more than a few rams to the stable before being swarmed by the enemy zerg.
85 Troll Druid
They could bring the classic alterac valley back without taking out the new one, just make a different queue and call it clasic alterac valley
85 Undead Mage
for great justice!
85 Night Elf Druid
!
17 Undead Warlock
Would totally love to see old time AV.

/sign
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]