A Brief History of Alterac Valley

/sign

Keep up the fight Foury
1 Human Warlock
Keep up the fight! We will have our Great Justice! :D
100 Orc Shaman
Here here!! I hate the new AV so much that I dont even queue random anymore.
I am glad to see my own concerns voiced so eloquently!!

My account is expiring tomorrow and I likely wont renew it, but I wish you the BEST
of luck in this endeavor!! Fight the good fight, my man!!
86 Night Elf Druid
There's quite a few reasons why the old AV didn't work out too well, and probably still wouldn't, but say we thought it was an awesome idea...

Development time on reimplementing everything could be better spent on new and already scheduled content, such as the new battleground/arena/etc.

Would you rather have old AV and lose a siege weapon? Lessen how robust the new battleground could be? Have one less Northrend city and associated quests/rewards? Have a new or updated holiday be scratched? That's how it works. Even with a development team as large as ours there is a finite number of resources. Adding development time on something new/else means that the scheduled content is either delayed or just won't ever make it in.

In any case, Lake Wintergrasp in Northrend is intended to be the huge, epic, never ending battle

so all the development time it took to bring Lake Wintergrasp...and all of its patches and hotfixes...it now sits idle...

exactley in the same state as how much other content? that took how much development time from the 'finite' resources.?

but then the motivation for the allocation of these 'finite' development resources has nothing to do with bringing any level of satisfaction to your current customer base...it is motivated by the need to expand the existing customer base and increase revenue and profit margin(s).

wasted...absolutely wasted resources...

AV is crippled...but still rolling...wintergrasp is dead, you could delete it and noone would notice. you could have revamped AV back then and it would be alive and well, word of mouth advertising between friends about how much fun they had in an epic AV battle from the night before...

wintergrasp is generating...nothing...and friends are talking amongst themselves about some other game...from a different company...

ya, i would rather you made the decision to scrap wintergrasp and revamp AV back to its original form...
90 Draenei Shaman
I applaud and support this 100%. I still do like the current AV, but no-where near as much as the atmosphere and fun I had with AV in Vanilla.
85 Tauren Hunter
I would like to respond to the poem and the thread in general with a few lines of my own. Ahem.

Though I've not played the AV of yore,
what we have now I've come to abhor;
Rushes and zergs and paper-thin towers,
cries to surrender, lest it take 'hours'!

I long for a battle instead of a race,
For tactics and combat rather than pace;
And like many others I've come to this thread,
Only to realize my hopes will stay dead.

'We're working on x-pacs!' come endless blue cries,
'We need to make maps, make bosses, make pies!';
In a tone you must know if you've raised daughter or son,
'Just one update more, we'll get it done!'

Well Cata has come, and soon will be gone,
Deathwing will fall, and we'll all move on;
To Pandas, to Nethers, to a Nightmare most Endless;
And in all this flurry AV will stay friendless

Until WoW is old, and its time has come,
We'll think of AV, and again we will thrum;
"Why didn't you finish this one little task?",
And Blizzard will say: "You just didn't ask!"
85 Troll Rogue

/cheers

Bravo. I suggest you post this on the general forum thread as well.
85 Tauren Paladin
Foury, your post has made me want to yet again delete all my toons, switch factions and servers. Just so I can /salute you in honesty.

As the oldest player of WoW in my office, having spent hundreds of dollars on character transfers for myself and my wife, having bought well over half a dozen copies of the game over time for various enthusiastic hobbies, I constantly strum on about how great this BG was at one time.

Some understand, either from experience or perspective, others just gape in awe. Every time I queue for a battleground, every time I renew an account, every time I log onto the game it is in memory of this BG and the days of playing it.

Every character of level had their mailbox overflowing with excessive marks for this BG. This BG is the scale I weigh all other BG experiences. The releases since, in this game and others, seem to suggest it was awesome by accident, and not by design.

Restoring this BG is the one gift I would ask Blizzard could give to an avid fan of the history of Warcraft before it became a vending machine.
85 Human Paladin
I was going to make a thread suggesting making a battleground similar to old AV in content, which would not be a part of the normal BG queue, but luckily I came to the BG forums first and saw exactly what I was going to post already in existence. :)

Though I didn't get to see AV before the trolls and syndicate were wiped out (I didn't even know about them until now >_>), I was around long enough to remember the awesome battles that lasted hours on end. It was a truly awesome Battelground that should have never been mutilated to cater to players who only PvP because no decent raiding guild will have them, and who don't even like playing the game.
92 Blood Elf Paladin
I applaud and support this 100%. I still do like the current AV, but no-where near as much as the atmosphere and fun I had with AV in Vanilla.

qft
85 Tauren Druid
Classic AV need to be revived. I would much rather farm AV all day for fun then have to do randoms and end up in overplayed bgs such as WSG, AB, and EoTS. I miss AV and all it's glory. Taking team work to take over graveyards and bunkers. Getting stuck in EPIC fields of strife battles with the frostlord on one side and a mob of angry alliance on the other. The days of AV are gone, sadly.

If you want to make WoW subs happier then implement a game that will make pvp epic once more.

In an AV I was in early I told them "We may need to summon the icelord, alliance keep turtleing ". Almost no one knew what I was talking about.

1) We need to have more NPC's.
2) Rams/wolfs need to be a challenge to kill, not an inconvenience if you get dis-mounted.
3) The health of guards, archers, the generals, and captains need to be drastically increased. ---- (I shouldn't be able to run up to a graveyard and cast two swipes and kill them all).
4) Take our reinforcements.

I know it will take awhile for the people who never played classic AV to learn the ropes. But, in time, AV will be restored to its epic glory.
85 Human Mage
The rams and wolves are level 75.

75. I could kill them by accident.

Join the Call to Arms.

"Why Isn't AV Fun Anymore?"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2743697818
"It's Time for Some PvP Lovin'!"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2878768615
"A 'Brief' History of AV"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2952885503
Edited by Foury on 8/5/2011 2:34 PM PDT
85 Human Mage
I would like to respond to the poem and the thread in general with a few lines of my own. Ahem.

Love the poetry, by the way.

Join the Call to Arms.

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Fight the good Fight Brotha!

I will not be here to see a next patch, but I will be looking on the forums and see if one of my blue buddies will ever respond to these threads.

Here is a poem i changed. The original was The Charge of the Light Brigade which is by far one of my favourite poems.

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the field of strife
Rode the forty.
'Forward, For the Horde!
Charge to the alliance' Galv said:
Into the field of strife
Rode the forty.
'Forward, For the Horde!'
Was there a troll dismay'd?
Not tho' the Orc Warrior knew
Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the Field of Strife
Rode the forty.

Trolls to the right of them,
Shredder to the left of them,
Alliance in front of them
Charged and Striked;
Storm'd at with wolf and axe,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the raid of Alliance,
Into the Field of Strife
Rode the forty.

Swung all their axes with blood thirst,
Swung as they chopped through air.
Executing mages there.
Charging an army while
All of Azeroth wonder'd:
Plunged in the land mines
Right thro' the line they broke;
Night Elf, Human, Dwarf and Gnome.
Reel'd from the axe-stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the forty.

Trolls to the right of them,
Shredder to the left of them,
Corpses behind of them
Charged and Striked;
Storm'd at with wolf and axe,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the raid of Alliance,
Into the Field of Strife
Rode the 40.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All of Azeroth wonder'd.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour the Horde,
Honour the game, it will not fade.
Noble 40!
Noble Alterac Valley!
85 Human Mage
Thanks Yalingto, for the great poem and your support.

You will be missed.

Join the Call to Arms.

Edited by Foury on 8/5/2011 4:45 PM PDT
this still makes me tear up a little when I read these threads, and hope that someday; our dream will be recognized...
85 Human Paladin

Once AV became a zergfest, I just stopped PvPing altogether really. Yes, I PvP here and there, but not nearly as much as I used to. I tend to avoid AV now, seeing as it's complete crap now.

Eh, I played it for a little while afterwards, as the zergfest was something new to do, but it got old fast. I eventually started going to other battlegrounds to try them out again to see how they compared to the new AV, but found them to be just as mind numbing, and eventually went into raiding for a little while, going from guild to guild as they all seemed to crumble shortly after my arrival. I eventually just stopped doing anything until Cata, which is when I leveled my main to 85, but then went inactive again until I decided to reroll on a pvp server.

Oh, and nice name there, my orc friend.
100 Gnome Warlock
Guess ya can't please everybody,AV is one of my favorite bg's. Lot's of space,different ways to win,great landscape to hide and ambush and just a total slugfest most of the time. I love it when it's call to arms.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]