A Brief History of Alterac Valley

90 Undead Warlock
I would do this for longer than months, the main three reasons I do any raiding is: 1 for helping friends, 2 get mounts, 3 try to get that nice legendary staff. Other than that I do pvp
100 Gnome Mage
quick update ingame!!!

It seems the times taken for a single AV are extending! already roughly 15 minutes or more. i'm playing it defensively and it's working so well.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
This has to be one of if not the best posts I have yet to read. Thank you sir for the time and effort you have put into this. I would absolutely love to see this happen. Yes, everything does get old for some people. If that's the case then they will never be happy with anything, always looking for the next, latest, newest, fastest, etc... All i can say is after over 5 years of playing wow I'm still here and playing. Although I have considered stopping many times. It gets so frustrating seeing the direction Blizzard is taking the game. It has seemed to me everything is watered down and made to be just another generic blah blah blah experience. Old AV had flavor. It was fun. It was exciting and challenging. I still enjoy it more then any others but not like i used to. WoW never used to be a slam bam lets get this over with fast game to me. It involved effort and things weren't just handed to you. But that's what made it fun. It wasn't about getting there as much as enjoying trip. And it is understandable some people don't have the time to spend on long drawn out battles. Real life comes first as it must. So it is nice to have fast bg's to play also but please give the people that choice and don't force us into homogenized battlegrounds.

Please keep up the great work Foury. I am hoping many others,those that are left anyways who remember and enjoyed the old AV, or maybe the newer players who think they would enjoy the experience of a REAL battle, will support this cause. /Salute.
90 Human Death Knight
Without a doubt this is the greatest post I've seen in these forums. I agree with everything the OP said. I also agree with one reply that suggested leaving the new version in the random queue and returning the old version as an option. Well done Foury.

/signed

reccomend for sticky!
90 Undead Warlock
/signed

this is awesome
90 Dwarf Warrior
That was not at all brief, OP, but I find myself agreeing with it.
85 Tauren Druid
Ohh boy. I remember once an AV battle with 40 rouges vs 40 rogues back when it was just your server playing. Very long and crazy match.

I think they should also add the option the play agaisnt your own server again.
Anywhos, I agree 1005. Well wrote.
100 Dwarf Hunter
OP i love you. will you marry me? this post is all kinds of epic. and i as do many of others have said. agree
100 Night Elf Druid
I was never around for the old school AV but i'm all for making it an epic super PVP experience. AV has always been my favorite BG since the first time i tried it at lvl 51.

While your Wall of text did make me bust out my demo all SOTA style(which i hate with the burning passion of a thousand suns) it was well thought out and amusing at times so I just tucked my head down and bulled thru it(kinda like i did with my Master of SOTA achieve :P).

I really hope Blizz thinks about Uberfying AV, I'm one of those people who sometimes tries to cause a turtle just because sometimes its fun to have a PVP kill fest somewhere in the middle, I mean isn't that what all the Mid fighting in WSG, TP and road fighting in EOTS, AB etc is all about anyway? And at least with AV it has a purpose. I like the idea of the 2000 reinforments limit, with 600 equaling about 45 mins, 2000 would equal about 2.5 hours?(give or take 30 mins)

Anyway your wall of txt crit me for over 9000 but it was a heal, not a damage crit, well done sir.
Edited by Unhappiness on 8/11/2011 6:51 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid
I am constantly talking about how much I miss Old AV. Bringing it back would really re-energize a lot of players opinions on BG's. Do i think Blizz cares enough to do this, sadly no, but it would be amazing if they would. Great post OP. Brought back memories of when I would start an AV BG early saturday morning, go do something all day and come back to the SAME battle but with beefed up NPCs and flyers dropping fire bombs on everything!
85 Night Elf Druid
08/08/2011 04:49 PMPosted by Phenyxflames
It seems the times taken for a single AV are extending! already roughly 15 minutes or more. i'm playing it defensively and it's working so well.

Times in AV are only longer atm because we are in beggining-expansion level gear, so the Generals are relatively more powerful. As Wrath continues, people will start zerging more and more.

It was one of the things I tried specifically to address in my own list of suggestions, which differ from Foury's in that I don't mind the reinforcement system, and I think it could be made to work. (plus, I don't realisticaly see Blizzard rolling back something as momumental as all the AV changes, I think we'd have much better luck trying to push them forward to AV version 4.3 or whatever.)

You can find my own wall of text here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2878698292
100 Night Elf Druid
I have nothing to add, only /signed. I hate current AV and seriously miss old school AV. I would squee like a little girl if they put it back in.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I would actually enjoy PvP if these changers were actually implemented

/signed
I remember when I frist was able to get into AV when I firsted started playing WoW. I loved it! I loved AV! I think that AV got me into PvP more than anything. I agree 100% with OP and I would love to see it all come back!

Stickeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!
85 Orc Warrior
lose a siege weapon, quest hub or holiday for old AV? Brother, I'd gladly lose all three plus at least a couple of my own toes. I'd lose them anyway from frostbite for all the time I'd be playing old school Alterac Valley.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
bring the vanilla AV back. It was the most fun I've had with this game and now it's gone.
81 Worgen Druid
OP Best post ever on these forums. While I started at tail end of Vanilla I rarely pvp'd. I did not start pvp really till cata due to time constraints. It sounds like fun, which this game desperately needs.
90 Human Rogue
Ohh boy. I remember once an AV battle with 40 rouges vs 40 rogues back when it was just your server playing. Very long and crazy match.

I think they should also add the option the play agaisnt your own server again.
Anywhos, I agree 1005. Well wrote.

O_o if such a thing exists today, I want in xD

Anyway, massive kudos to the OP. I joined the game in WotLK and sadly never experienced a time of such epic pvp, though I always saw an occasional post/whisper discussing the golden days of AV. To see it reborn once more would cause me to break down in manly tears and weep for joy xD.

Though if it is brought back, I would recommend not tying any achievements to it. Reason being is that they tend to distract players from the main goal of winning the right way (even though I absolutely love achievements, I'd much rather focus on the fighting and winning classic style).

It'd also be nice for blizzard to put a message on it warning those who want a quick victory to turn around and walk away.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]