A Brief History of Alterac Valley

85 Human Mage
While your post is thoughtful and funny while still being 100% correct I doubt Blizzard will listen.

Why you may ask? One very simple reason good sir:

To revert their changes/bring back old AV would be an admission of failure. Blizzard does not do this on a whim, if ever. It's like finding an honest man in Congress.

This is why I propose the following:

1. Blizzard brings back Classic AV
2. We cheer, then never speak of this incident again.

NEW! Adopt-A-Turtle Campaign:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2973254007
August 26th, 7:00pm PDT / 8:00pm MDT / 9:00pm CDT / 10:00pm EDT
Defend your Captain and towers, then /dance!

"Why Isn't AV Fun Anymore?"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2743697818
"It's Time for Some PvP Lovin'!"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2878768615
"A 'Brief' History of AV"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2952885503
85 Undead Warrior
Brief my !@#!

wonderfull read tho, truely.
90 Human Hunter
amazing post, must have taken some time, and its full of truth.

i was privileged to experience AV in its glory, and it was the funnest thing in game, if it came to a poll, id vote yes for old AV!

please keep fighting the good fight to bring old AV back, to bring massive fun back to AV, where fun doesnt seam to exist anymore

If they could come up with something like old AV weekends that would be awesome because those rounds take a very long of time, depending on how far the roll it back it could take several hours or much longer to finish a single round.
Edited by Kubla on 8/15/2011 4:25 AM PDT
8 Human Paladin
old AV was great. wouldn't even mind new AV so much if they added keys/gates at choke points

kill galv - opens iceblood gate/towers
capture tower point opens horde base

kill balinda - opens IW gate
capture IWB get key and open ally base
90 Human Death Knight
I...am not worthy...
Great post! I hope Blizzard amends AV in the future.
90 Gnome Warlock
I only began playing WoW at the latter end of Wrath. I only began my nervous initiation into serious pvp and battle grounds when I hit level 75. I was instantly hooked.

I've only known the "Alterac Valley Lite" version of AV. And it is still one of my favorite BG's.
But I do remember one time while stuck in a turtle, that all the sudden the horde were coming throught the valley of strife with some gigantic thing that was killing Alliance with ease, and would not die. We sent wave after wave of Alliance heroes against this monster, all like lambs to the slaughter. After a time, it seemed to bore with merely killing us in the field of strife and moved on to slaughter our hold in the Valley. We lost. And it was AWESOME!

I had to google what the hell happened to us, because I had no clue.

Now, after that experience, combined with your great introduction to the true history of AV I really see what PVP is missing in WoW. It seems the dungeon finder, and immensely powerful NPC guards in cities have choked world pvp to a trickle. The objectives in BG's leave very little time to actually go and test your skills against others in the battleground.

This Newb Alliance is 100% for the old AV. Where do I sign?
85 Human Mage
old AV was great. wouldn't even mind new AV so much if they added keys/gates at choke points

kill galv - opens iceblood gate/towers
capture tower point opens horde base

kill balinda - opens IW gate
capture IWB get key and open ally base

Such gating systems are artificial, and limit the number of strategies available to players. NPC's feel more natural.

NEW! Adopt-A-Turtle Campaign:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2973254007
August 26th, 7:00pm PDT / 8:00pm MDT / 9:00pm CDT / 10:00pm EDT
Defend your Captain and towers, then /dance!

"Why Isn't AV Fun Anymore?"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2743697818
"It's Time for Some PvP Lovin'!"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2878768615
"A 'Brief' History of AV"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2952885503
90 Undead Warlock
Gate maybe work, but that would add more work and so they wouldn't bring old AV back, so no gates, but npcs yes.
85 Draenei Paladin
Err.. wow, honestly wow.. someone is really dedicated to bringing back the old av.
I love pvp i started playing very late in wotlk i never got to try classic AV but it sounded great! nowerdays the 2 bgs i just dont like at all are IOC And AV i never que for a random bg at risk of getting them again.. there not pvp anymore, i always que specific for AB BFG WSG TP there small scale and intimate but ive read everything you have said and wow, im all for bringing back old av, it sounded great and im a sadkat, i never got to expirience how great it was, as for how it is now, i just kinda go with it if i ever find myself in there.. run to drek hope for a win we will probibly loose ive stopped cearing i just want to get out as fast as i got in, spend the honer on some enchanting mats or some ore and pray i dont get that bg again, haha but thats just my opinion :3
85 Goblin Shaman
Bring It Back! I Concur!
85 Human Warlock
I think what impressed me most about your post, Foury, is the level of attention you paid to the details of AV. It's one thing to argue to bring back the original Alterac Valley for sentimentality's sake, it's another to look at the history in detail and trace out how we got from there to here, and why we should go back.

Your proposed fixes are excellent. Even if they don't implement all of them, many of them would help restore the battleground to a more interesting state. Many of them do need to be implemented together to ensure balance and success, but even a few of them would help.

I hope that they consider making Alterac Valley the new PvP centerpiece of the next expansion, so it can get the development resources it so needs.

Liked, reported for sticky, bookmarked, and saved to disk. I've only ever done that for Dusk's How To BG, so you're in great company. Great post.
90 Human Death Knight
08/14/2011 05:31 PMPosted by Walman
However, Overall I think the OP is right we need the classic AV back, in its own separate bracket, maybe do something interesting like call it Caverns of Time: Alterac Valley and put the "official" entrance to this bg inside CoT, and leave the zergfest Failterac Valley as it is.

This ^

I like this idea as it leaves the fast honor model in random queue, but gives a place for the original that the community is showing so much support for.
85 Human Mage
Maybe try to move this to general discussion because there is rarely a blue post here and blue's post on anything over there but I support this 100%
57 Night Elf Druid
Problem with this is even if they did bring it back I honestly can't say I see 80 people actually re-adapting and hanging in to finish the game.
90 Orc Hunter
08/18/2011 09:08 AMPosted by Tyranda
Problem with this is even if they did bring it back I honestly can't say I see 80 people actually re-adapting and hanging in to finish the game.

then they can /afk out, and new people can come in - thats the bueaty of a persistent BG :)

BTW, Preform AV Enabler- if there's gonna be a revolution thats the tool.
Edited by Vaelkyri on 8/18/2011 11:41 AM PDT
90 Human Death Knight
08/18/2011 08:57 AMPosted by Bigthing
Maybe try to move this to general discussion because there is rarely a blue post here and blue's post on anything over there but I support this 100%

Done!

you can follow the link http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2973256913 here...
85 Night Elf Priest
I think I'm in the minority but only because of my RL time constraints as back in the day I loved turning in all the quest items and summoning the fliers, elementals, druids, etc but these days I can't spend hours in queue or in game to do so =(

If they do bring back the old AV I hope they make it balanced for us casual pvpers as well as the more serious and again not because I wouldn't love to spend time - I just don't have it but I do love to pvp as a team =)
85 Human Death Knight
When you can win a battleground and not have a single honorable kill, I have to question if that truly qualifies as PvP. The different sides should not be rewarded for avoiding PvP. As it stands now that's exactly what's happening.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]