Binding spells to keys

1 Troll Rogue
I am just recently switching from clicking to keybinds. However, I wish to have some spells attatched to my side mouse buttons. However, I can only figure out how to bind action bar buttons, not the actual spell itself. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but my PvE and PvP specs have spells in different places on my action bars, but I want the button to remain the same, regardless of what spec I am in(but remain on the same place on the action bar). How do I bind spell X to a button regardless of where it is on my action bars?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Use something like Bindpad. Then bind the macro to a key and you don't ever have to even put it on the action bar.

But if you're going to bind a macro to one key in one spec, and to another key in another spec, then you still gotta bind a key to an action bar position but you can get something like:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info16456-RespecBindSaver.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info18352-ActionBarSaver2c.html
and save different bind for different specs.
Edited by Sedivy on 8/4/2011 10:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
Basically, I want to bind Concussive Shot to mouse button 4, Silencing Shot to 5, and Scatter Shot to Shift+5, for both specs, yet I want to keep them on different places on the action bar. Would Bindpad be the addon for that? I just explained it in case I wasn't clear enough before.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
No. Your addon for that would be one of the other two I linked.
You'd bind concussive shot to the action bar slot you placed it into each time. But you can change the bindings between specs. So if you put it to slot 3 and bind it to R, you can then respec, put it into action bar slot 5 and bind that to R. And respecbindsaver should allow you to have R bound to button 3 for spec 1 and R bound to button 5 in spec 2.

That however has nothing to do with binding concussive shot to a mouse button. If you mean keybinding it to a keyboard key or clicking the button with a mouse, that's different. But if you mean to cast the concussive shot by mousing over a target frame and pressing a side mouse button 5, then you need Clique (or another mouse addon) for that. Unitframes and raidframes normally eat clicks. In order for a mouse button to function over a unitframe or a nameplate, you need to get clique, then bind whatever macro to the mouse button 5 and set it up to hovercast I think. To whatever setting allows you to cast it while hovering over any frame.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
I looked at these add-ons and you seem to misunderstand. I do not want the BINDINGS to change, I want the placement of that spell on the action bar to change. So if I am in spec one, and I want to use mouse button 4 to Concussive shot, then I change specs, Concussive shot may move to a different place on my action bar, but I still want mouse button 4 to be Concussive shot.

Also, this has nothing to do with mouseover macros, I just want a simple cast@target keybind.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Ok you say mouse button 4. That means a button placed on a mouse, usually a side button named mouse button 4. The only way you can cast stuff with it is if you're mousing over something and then hitting your mouse button. Or you can use your mouse drivers that came with the mouse and remap that mouse button to a keyboard button instead and it will be just like hitting a keyboard button in which case keep reading:

If you mean keybind as in the button on a keyboard, I explained, if you want to bind a macro directly to a keyboard bind, use bindpad but then you do NOT drag the spell to an action bar. BUT if you're going to drag it onto the actionbar in order to see it and its cooldown information, you're not going to directly keep binding the spell to a keyboard bind (unless you unbind everything first). It has to refer to the actionbar slot. Hence the addons I've given you.
Edited by Sedivy on 8/4/2011 10:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
/confused

I'll just rearrange my action bar so that the buttons are in the same place between specs, then just rebind that key. Thanks anyways.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Sorry lol. I tried to clear it up.
Ok here's a simpler way.
Go to Esc-Keybindings and unbind every single button on every single actionbar.
Then type
/run SetBindingSpell("BUTTON", "SPELL")
where button is a button is whatever key you want to assign the spell to and spell is a whatever spell you want to be casting with it.

Done.

If you have buttons on a mouse that you want to press to cast the spell on your target, use the drivers that came with a mouse to remap that mouse button to some keyboard key. Then use the above method to assign that key to a spell.
Edited by Sedivy on 8/4/2011 10:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Couldn't he just use SetBinding or SetBindingSpell to bind the spell without referring to an action button? It's not as simple as BindPad since you're doing it from command line rather than a GUI, but it still works.

/run SetBinding("BUTTON4","SPELL Concussive Shot")SaveBindings(GetCurrentBindingSet())This binds the spell "Concussive Shot" to mouse button 4 and then saves the bindings to the currently loaded set (character-specific or account-wide).

You can also use this:/run SetBindingSpell("BUTTON4","Concussive Shot")SaveBindings(GetCurrentBindingSet())This does the same thing as above.

I'm not entirely sure what the point of the SetBindingSpell. SetBindingMacro, SetBindingItem and SetBindingClick functions is, as SetBinding can do the same thing as any of them.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Yes he can but dragging then the spell to an actionbar is going to mess him up with the default binds on the actionbar already there. And changing with spec. Unless he clears all actionbar binds first.
But will binding it to a mouse button directly actually fire it without something like clique? I didn't think it would?
Edited by Sedivy on 8/4/2011 10:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes he can but dragging then the spell to an actionbar is going to mess him up with the default binds on the actionbar already there. And changing with spec. Unless he clears all actionbar binds first.
But will binding it to a mouse button directly actually fire it without something like clique? I didn't think it would?
Clique shouldn't be needed in this case, since he just wants to bind the spell to a press of the mouse button, not bind the spell to a click on a frame.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Hmm good to know.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
08/04/2011 10:38 PMPosted by Choonster
Clique shouldn't be needed in this case, since he just wants to bind the spell to a press of the mouse button, not bind the spell to a click on a frame.

Provided his mouse isn't over a unit frame or action button when he presses mouse-button 4.
Reply Quote
87 Worgen Druid
The way I have mine set up is I program the side buttons to be keypresses like the ']' and '[' or '\' keys. Then I make a bartender bar that is invisible, super tiny, and/or hidden under another UI element and bind its buttons to those keypresses. That way you can have your spells wherever you want on your action bar, and still have a mouse button press trigger them.

I am using a Logitech G-series mouse, so I can program the buttons to be whatever I want.

I hope this helps.

Removing the bartender bar element from the picture and having an addon that allows a direct bind from a keyboard/mouse event to an ability cast would be interesting.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]