Let's face it, Transmogrification is...

85 Troll Druid
Let's face it, Transmogrification is going to end Blizzards creativity when it comes to gear design. What's the point of Blizzard trying to astound people with aesthetics anymore now that every paladin in the world is going to resemble a banana. This is by no means a hate thread, it's simply a debate thread.
In my humble opinion, Blizzard has no need to try and make great looking gear anymore now that everyone will be rolling around in Vanilla gear. No longer will we see new tiers that are Transmogrification worthy like the majority of the low level tier was. If anyone would bring up this problem, I can picture them passing it off with a simple "try Transmogrifying your gear to make it look better."
Maybe I'm just over reacting, maybe I'm not. What does everyone else think?

P.S. People have brought up the idea that there should be an interface button to disable viewing of Transmogrified items, this seems like it would be a pain to make but I think it's the best solution I've heard yet. Then at least it would be a win-win, if you wanted to RP some with some friends in old gear you could, but if you wanted to raid without seeing people looking like all different colors of power rangers, you could too.
Thoughts?
87 Blood Elf Rogue
I thiink this is being implemented so that people will have the choice between the new gear, or the Old Vanilla gear that they love and miss. Its more of Blizz wanting to give people the old feel of the vanilla gear back, not a laziness thing.
67 Human Priest
OR it could be more motivation for blizz to stop designing awful looking tier sets and try to make new stuff that we WANT to be seen in.

I can think of several cata tiers for a few classes that have looked terrible.
85 Troll Druid
I hear you, I completely understand how it will spark nostalgia, and that will be great. I just can't picture people not getting tired of seeing T1 - T3 for the rest of their WoW careers.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
But I am going to be different. Im going to be a red banana. The thing is different people will still choose different sprites. And IMHO it will make the art team actually work harder to generate sets that people will actually want to switch to instead of being like everyone else in their old sets.
90 Human Death Knight
My thoughts exactly, its almost discouraging to even raid anymore. Eruzies raised a solid point. Before this turns into an uncontrollable wave of Vanilla gear, make an interface that allows the ability to disable it because not 100% of WoW players are ecstatic about this feature! Don't make hasty decisions.
85 Worgen Hunter
Think about this: The Art Team does Art.
What this might mean: Sure New gear quality goes down. (Probably won't. With all the WWE belts and clown suits, it can't get worse. Seriously.) Mob and Enviroment detail goes up. At the same time, the Art team, who likes those god awful belts gets to make more of them because no one will care anymore, cause oh look another WWE belt. Mog it.
85 Troll Druid
I am just afraid that everyone will be so content with their T1 that no one will even care what the new tier will look like and eventually Blizzard will stop trying, then everything would resemble the repulsive Northrend greens
3 Troll Shaman
Cause people get bored of looking the same. My pally got full T2 in classic. And even though it's my favorite set, even back then I got to the point where i wanted to look different.

And the other thing is players will want to look distinct. While most pallys will probably go T2 at first, the realization will hit how boring it is all looking the same and players will start switching back to current tier or try to be more creativie.

Also, you forget you have to have the gear. I ran MC for 3 months last summer to get full T1 priest, but after all that time I only got 4 pieces. Do you really think everyone's going to want to farm MC months on in just to get full T1 or farm BWL to get full T2?
Edited by Eicko on 8/17/2011 5:23 PM PDT
My horrifying thought:

Blizzard will start selling attractive armor models through the pet store. For $5, you can buy a super fancy, flashy armor set design that you can transmogify your amor into. This wouldnt be an advantage to players, since its just the look of the armor, so blizz could totally do it.

Hopefully im wrong.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
No vanilla gear for me! I'll probably go with an older pvp set, maybe one from TBC. Those were pretty cool, that or one of the wrath sets. Ulduar had a really sweet pally set, and the pvp sets for pallys were pretty sweet too.
85 Troll Druid
08/17/2011 05:22 PMPosted by Unseenbefore
I'm just glad everyone won't look the same anymore.

I find you're sense of humor to be rather amazing. I LOL'd irl, too bad everyone is going to be in the same tier gear they loved. Not many classes have more than one tier gear that is "stand out" if you know what i mean. They all may look good, but there's always the one tier that will reign supreme.
85 Worgen Rogue
It could go the other way- if blizz sees what people like maybe they'll use that as a inspiration for new gear that people like.

So when they see 95% of all rogues are going around in bloodfang, maybe they'll give us something that borrows elements from that rather than all the glowy nonsense we've gotten lately.
55 Dwarf Death Knight
You get to look how you want to look (with certain restrictions).

I don't see the problem.

More variety is a good thing.
Community Manager
08/17/2011 05:12 PMPosted by Eruzies
Let's face it, Transmogrification is going to end Blizzards creativity when it comes to gear design. What's the point of Blizzard trying to astound people with aesthetics anymore now that every paladin in the world is going to resemble a banana.

Honestly, I disagree. I think there will always be players who want to roll in the latest set, and our artists take great pride in their work, so they will always try to make all the art for new gear as awesome as they can.

For players who are between full sets, Transmogrification offers a cool opportunity to sport a 'complete' look, and enjoy favorite gear art from the past. Few players will want to look the same all the time though, so I expect that new art and new tier sets will remain in demand.
21 Undead Warlock
My horrifying thought:

Blizzard will start selling attractive armor models through the pet store. For $5, you can buy a super fancy, flashy armor set design that you can transmogify your amor into. This wouldnt be an advantage to players, since its just the look of the armor, so blizz could totally do it.

Hopefully im wrong.

That will happen.
Remember that they are business first more than anything. I was horrified when I saw this in the NCSoft store for Guild Wars. But then there will be people buying them, so it's going to earn them profit either way.

Btw, is Transmogrification only for Tiered sets or for all sorts of gear? If it's for all sorts of gear, I doubt I'd bother wasting time to farm the previous Tiers and try to find gear that looks nice together.
Edited by Zarazar on 8/17/2011 5:30 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest
Let's face it, Transmogrification is going to end Blizzards creativity when it comes to gear design. What's the point of Blizzard trying to astound people with aesthetics anymore now that every paladin in the world is going to resemble a banana. This is by no means a hate thread, it's simply a debate thread.
In my humble opinion, Blizzard has no need to try and make great looking gear anymore now that everyone will be rolling around in Vanilla gear. No longer will we see new tiers that are Transmogrification worthy like the majority of the low level tier was. If anyone would bring up this problem, I can picture them passing it off with a simple "try Transmogrifying your gear to make it look better."
Maybe I'm just over reacting, maybe I'm not. What does everyone else think?

P.S. People have brought up the idea that there should be an interface button to disable viewing of Transmogrified items, this seems like it would be a pain to make but I think it's the best solution I've heard yet. Then at least it would be a win-win, if you wanted to RP some with some friends in old gear you could, but if you wanted to raid without seeing people looking like all different colors of power rangers, you could too.
Thoughts?

Dude, you just don't get it do you? What's going to happen when T15 comes out and people really miss T14 because T15 is all shadows and light and hurts everyone's graphics cards?

This is an ongoing preservation of interesting and innovative item designs.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]