Let's face it, Transmogrification is...

85 Orc Warlock
Sounds fun, and it's definitely motivating a lot of us to already want to go out and farm some pieces from prior tiers :).
90 Human Warlock
P.S. People have brought up the idea that there should be an interface button to disable viewing of Transmogrified items, this seems like it would be a pain to make but I think it's the best solution I've heard yet. Then at least it would be a win-win, if you wanted to RP some with some friends in old gear you could, but if you wanted to raid without seeing people looking like all different colors of power rangers, you could too.
Thoughts?

If I have to pay gold to set an appearance, everyone else should have to see it. If the system had no cost associated I'd be ok with a toggle.
90 Night Elf Warrior
08/17/2011 05:28 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Let's face it, Transmogrification is going to end Blizzards creativity when it comes to gear design. What's the point of Blizzard trying to astound people with aesthetics anymore now that every paladin in the world is going to resemble a banana.

Honestly, I disagree. I think there will always be players who want to roll in the latest set, and our artists take great pride in their work, so they will always try to make all the art for new gear as awesome as they can.

For players who are between full sets, Transmogrification offers a cool opportunity to sport a 'complete' look, and enjoy favorite gear art from the past. Few players will want to look the same all the time though, so I expect that new art and new tier sets will remain in demand.

Question, will there be an option to disable this appearance alter in game? I do not wish to see other players in their "fake" gear and instead wish to see them in the correct gear around town. I want to look at someone and have a rough estimate of the gear they are using, this can be especially crucial in pvp.
85 Goblin Priest
All the hate on transmogrification is based on the % of player base who judge a person based on their gear at first glance. They're scared that they'll have to make two extra clicks to really tell whether a person is geared for _____ or not.

I welcome transmogrification 100%

Merciless Gladiator set + Ahune Frostscythe for my DPS set
Tier 5 with Staff off Bloodboil in BT for my heal set.
85 Dwarf Shaman
Let's face it, Transmogrification is going to end Blizzards creativity when it comes to gear design. What's the point of Blizzard trying to astound people with aesthetics anymore now that every paladin in the world is going to resemble a banana.

Honestly, I disagree. I think there will always be players who want to roll in the latest set, and our artists take great pride in their work, so they will always try to make all the art for new gear as awesome as they can.

For players who are between full sets, Transmogrification offers a cool opportunity to sport a 'complete' look, and enjoy favorite gear art from the past. Few players will want to look the same all the time though, so I expect that new art and new tier sets will remain in demand.

Your artists take pride in their work? Have you seen the latest set of gear? 1-2 sets look good. The rest look like garbage.

Your artists and your dungeon designers are the laziest I've ever seen.
90 Night Elf Warrior
P.S. People have brought up the idea that there should be an interface button to disable viewing of Transmogrified items, this seems like it would be a pain to make but I think it's the best solution I've heard yet. Then at least it would be a win-win, if you wanted to RP some with some friends in old gear you could, but if you wanted to raid without seeing people looking like all different colors of power rangers, you could too.
Thoughts?

If I have to pay gold to set an appearance, everyone else should have to see it. If the system had no cost associated I'd be ok with a toggle.

Orrrrrr you are paying for it to look cool for your personal gain not just to force people to look at you as if you dressed yourself blindfolded with clothes found in a salvation army
85 Draenei Shaman

I totally agree with you. My DK will roll in the current gear but my pally will be rolling Tier 2.
Edited by Xenisa on 8/17/2011 5:58 PM PDT
88 Dwarf Paladin
Fel Iron set from Blacksmithing. Maybe another crafted set or two. Tier gear takes way too long. =p
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I personally love Blizzard's armor design and there are always people who !@#$% every time the new armor is shown about shoulders being too big or they don't like their classes set. Blizzard will keep paying the same people to work on new armor sets but now we get to see people in a large variety of gear instead of the current tier set.
85 Human Paladin
Personally, this is a great idea and kudos to Blizz for thinking of it. The set you pick (if it is even tier gear) depends on one's personal opinion. Yes I am a Paladin and most may think I will wear the Judgement set or the Lightbringer set, however, that is not the case. I will stick to the t12 and maybe combine it with t10 until I get the rest of the t12 set. That brings on another idea, combining pieces of gear from other sets. Not only does it give the Art designers a chance to be creative, but also a chance for us to be creative.

Blizzard can also try to design new sets that will attract our attention, and also sets that will coincide with previous tier sets. Mix things up a bit, why bother being the same as everyone else? That would defeat the whole purpose of this concept. And I disagree with whoever said that they will sell gear on the Blizz store. That takes away from the experience in the game, maybe it will motivate players to see the lore throughout the rest of the game. Yes, it is a business, and this is making a lot of people happy, thus becoming a successful business.

Look at some of the more recent tier sets. Tier 10 overall was one of the best sets. Most classes had a decent tier set, thus being the best overall. Tier 11, most of the sets were not too appealing, and t12 is not any better. Yes many say that Blizz is getting lazy, that's not necessarily true. It's hard to create an appealing set for every class for each tier set. It's hard to please everybody, and believe it or not, there are some people that like to look like a super hero as a paladin, or enjoy looking like Skeletor as a Mage.

It all comes back to this point, Transmogrification is a wonderful idea to some, but not to others. Personally I think it is great. Enough bickering about gear, if you don't like what Blizz has created, create your own. Live the glory days, feel free. If you like the tier set for your class during that time, then wear it, what is the need to Mog it? Blizz isn't going to give up, they aren't that careless.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Honestly, OP, they stopped making great looking gear after BC.
But that's just my own opinion.
85 Troll Druid
All the hate on transmogrification is based on the % of player base who judge a person based on their gear at first glance. They're scared that they'll have to make two extra clicks to really tell whether a person is geared for _____ or not.

I completely disagree with this, I ALWAYS inspect people when making a group for gear checks or RBG's for obvious reasons, anyone who judges based on gear looks should be slapped. This isn't a laziness thing, on our end.
90 Gnome Priest
08/17/2011 05:12 PMPosted by Eruzies
Blizzard has no need to try and make great looking gear anymore now that everyone will be rolling around in Vanilla gear.

I won't. This, among other outfits I have, will be my transmogrified look.

...assuming they allow empty item slots, dear god let them allow empty slots
85 Goblin Mage
I will admit that I did not read through all 75 pages of the other thread, that is now locked..

However, great new feature. However, does this mean that all my old armor sets that I destroyed to make room in cata (finally ran out of bank space) will have to be re-farmed? Does this also mean that none of my alts will be able to utilize this feature without first farming (tediously) old gear?

So in essence, this "feature" while wonderful, will be restricted to those that have the most time to go back and farm gear that either A. they destroyed due to storage constraints or B.never had in the first place.

Will we be able to open tickets to get gear we destroyed back?

Edit: Idea - perhaps have a vendor (much like the tabard or pet vendor) that will allow us to get back any gear we destroyed before this announcement was made.
Edited by Katsuodashi on 8/17/2011 6:09 PM PDT
90 Human Mage
[quote="30306931433"]Let's face it, Transmogrification is going to end Blizzards creativity when it comes to gear design. What's the point of Blizzard trying to astound people with aesthetics anymore now that every paladin in the world is going to resemble a banana.

For players who are between full sets, Transmogrification offers a cool opportunity to sport a 'complete' look, and enjoy favorite gear art from the past. Few players will want to look the same all the time though, so I expect that new art and new tier sets will remain in demand.[/quote

Well said!
85 Draenei Priest
08/17/2011 05:12 PMPosted by Eruzies
Let's face it, Transmogrification is going to end Blizzards creativity when it comes to gear design.

I doubt this.

One thing it very well might do though is allow Blizzard to collect data on what sorts of gear people are converting and what they're converting it to. If over time people show a marked preference for particular styles the designers can play off that preference in their future designs.

For myself, I've always thought that the 'bigger is always better' approach looks ridiculous. You have toons out there that could not possibly move, much less fight, in their gear. If a lot of people agree and we see a lot of downsizing of gear in a physical sense that would indicate that sleeker and smaller gear might be worth looking at as a design option.

I see this as a valuable information source for the designers over the long haul.
85 Tauren Druid
Not sure if this thing is gonna make or break, I just pray that you can't use Transmogrification for PVP gear, I'd be annoyed not being able to tell who has amazing gear or terrible gear when in Arena.
70 Night Elf Rogue
I thought Wrath of the Lich King's release ended that already? Gear hasn't looked good, with the notable exception of T8, since T6.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]