Let's face it, Transmogrification is...

90 Night Elf Hunter
I think it's healthy for the artists. Currently it's "you WILL use this new design or you won't be raiding." Now it's "if people don't like it, they won't use it, we need to work hard to make some sweet designs!"
85 Draenei Priest
The item must be in your possession, and you have to be able to use (wear it), at the time of the Transmogrification.

I hope you are going to restrict it so people can only transmogrify items of their maximum armor type, otherwise it's kinda of unfair for cloth wearers who can only transmogrify in to other cloth items, but other armor classes have any type of gear open to them.
90 Blood Elf Warrior
The item must be in your possession, and you have to be able to use (wear it), at the time of the Transmogrification.

I hope you are going to restrict it so people can only transmogrify items of their maximum armor type, otherwise it's kinda of unfair for cloth wearers who can only transmogrify in to other cloth items, but other armor classes have any type of gear open to them.

" Sneaky death knights can’t make that breastplate look like a cloth robe, and you can’t make a one-handed axe look like a two-handed axe, or transform a sword’s appearance into that of a mace. Guns, bows, and crossbows will be the exception to this rule."
90 Night Elf Warrior
Off-topic or not, this ruined the feature for me.

Why?

Yes no will this be toggleable? For those of us who dont care to see peoples edits
Edited by Vampyrr on 8/17/2011 7:11 PM PDT
6 Human Rogue
I would hope that the number of people who are pumped for wearing old gear and dislike the new stuff...would be a nice reminder to the armor set designers to up their game.
Let's hope they do.
90 Human Death Knight
I disagree with the OP for two reasons.

1) Like Daxxarri said people will continue new gear. Reasons being it's brand new, and it shows your progress in the current teir.

2)Also, it could motivate artists to make lasting designs, to make gear that people will continue to wear after a new teir comes out. They won't be come lazy, if anything it their teir designs might end up looking better.
Community Manager
However, great new feature. However, does this mean that all my old armor sets that I destroyed to make room in cata (finally ran out of bank space) will have to be re-farmed? Does this also mean that none of my alts will be able to utilize this feature without first farming (tediously) old gear?

So in essence, this "feature" while wonderful, will be restricted to those that have the most time to go back and farm gear that either A. they destroyed due to storage constraints or B.never had in the first place.

Will we be able to open tickets to get gear we destroyed back?

Edit: Idea - perhaps have a vendor (much like the tabard or pet vendor) that will allow us to get back any gear we destroyed before this announcement was made.

If you want to obtain the look of gear that you've deleted in the past, then yes, you'll need to farm that old gear back. Opening a petition for that old gear isn't likely to bear fruit unless the item was deleted quite recently (usually within a month or two). Please don't submit a petition as a shot in the dark, since that just bogs down the system for everyone.

Alts can hang onto cool looking quest items and drops that they get while leveling, to use with the feature. It won't be limited to tier items, but that does mean that if they want to sport a full set of tier 5, then yes, they'll need to acquire it, just as any other character would.

We are interested in providing a means for players to purchase certain gear sets which aren't available for one reason or another, such as the dungeon sets or death knight starter set. Such a vendor would not provide access to all the gear a player has ever owned, though.

Like most features, this one will probably be most useful to those who are willing to invest the time in getting the most out of it. Or, at least, those who already had items that they like the look of laying around.

Speaking strictly for myself, I plan to have fun revisiting those old raids to build sets that I disposed of in the past.
Edited by Daxxarri on 8/17/2011 7:12 PM PDT
6 Human Rogue
Even Draxxarrii double posts...
Community Manager
08/17/2011 07:12 PMPosted by Taliany

(╯ಠ益ಠ)╯︵ ┻━┻
90 Night Elf Druid
08/17/2011 07:12 PMPosted by Taliany
If only we could report blues for spamming.

I'M KIDDING!! Don't tase me, bro!
85 Goblin Warlock
Lets face it, as a playerbase we are the most ignorant, ungrateful, selfish and self-entitled group that has ever existed. We beg and rage and QQ and threaten and when we get what we want, instead of being happy we make waves of posts such as this to find more things to complain about. Enough is enough, how about being happy that we got what WE have been begging for.
90 Night Elf Druid
08/17/2011 06:55 PMPosted by Nimbosa
What's the point of Blizzard trying to astound people with aesthetics anymore now that every paladin in the world is going to resemble a banana.

making something better than the banana?

Unpossible!
6 Human Rogue
08/17/2011 07:13 PMPosted by Daxxarri

(╯ಠ益ಠ)╯︵ ┻━┻

*snickers*
I think I forgot an X in there somewhere.....
:D
90 Human Hunter
... *sigh*

You guys have a bad habit of ruining a great thing.

I ran vanilla instances WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many times in Vanilla.

I don't WANT to run them AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN HOPING AND HOPING that my gear will drop again.... IN OUTDATED RAIDS THAT DON'T ACTUALLY GIVE ANYTHING.

Is it really THAT hard to make it so that by clearing a vanilla-wrath raid instance, you gain access to the gear from that raid?
6 Human Rogue
08/17/2011 06:55 PMPosted by Nimbosa
What's the point of Blizzard trying to astound people with aesthetics anymore now that every paladin in the world is going to resemble a banana.

making something better than the banana?

The waving of the banana shoulders as you run is hypnotizing.
85 Tauren Druid
Let's face it, Transmogrification is...

"too late"

Canceled last night. Wouldn't even have heard if I hadn't gone to click on my calcchat link and accidentally hit wowhead. Dyes are something people have wanted for ages, but why would any of this news make the game suddenly less boring for me? I'm glad to hear they're making 3 more 5 man dungeons, considering the majority of the people paying their damned bills play the game casually. But I haven't felt any tugs on my heartstrings. There's no sudden desire to renew my account and gear my warrior or pally for tanking. We'll see in a few months is something I'd like to say, but in a few months I'll be playing other games in my spare time.

I raided in vanilla. When I first entered mc I was, to my knowledge, one of like two warriors on the server with full valor. I raided in BC and quite enjoyed it. I raided in wrath but found myself not feeling compelled at all post ulduar. Cataclysm is a first for me. I've had absolutely no compulsion to raid on any of my TEN characters. It was fun while it lasted blizz. I'm building a new pc for skyrim and you're not welcome on it :P
Edited by Schrödinger on 8/17/2011 7:21 PM PDT
85 Tauren Druid
... *sigh*

You guys have a bad habit of ruining a great thing.

I ran vanilla instances WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many times in Vanilla.

I don't WANT to run them AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN HOPING AND HOPING that my gear will drop again.... IN OUTDATED RAIDS THAT DON'T ACTUALLY GIVE ANYTHING.

Is it really THAT hard to make it so that by clearing a vanilla-wrath raid instance, you gain access to the gear from that raid?

Is it that hard to run it again?
85 Goblin Mage
However, great new feature. However, does this mean that all my old armor sets that I destroyed to make room in cata (finally ran out of bank space) will have to be re-farmed? Does this also mean that none of my alts will be able to utilize this feature without first farming (tediously) old gear?

So in essence, this "feature" while wonderful, will be restricted to those that have the most time to go back and farm gear that either A. they destroyed due to storage constraints or B.never had in the first place.

Will we be able to open tickets to get gear we destroyed back?

Edit: Idea - perhaps have a vendor (much like the tabard or pet vendor) that will allow us to get back any gear we destroyed before this announcement was made.

If you want to obtain the look of gear that you've deleted in the past, then yes, you'll need to farm that old gear back. Opening a petition for that old gear isn't likely to bear fruit unless the item was deleted quite recently (usually within a month or two). Please don't submit a petition as a shot in the dark, since that just bogs down the system for everyone.

Alts can hang onto cool looking quest items and drops that they get while leveling, to use with the feature. It won't be limited to tier items, but that does mean that if they want to sport a full set of tier 5, then yes, they'll need to acquire it, just as any other character would.

We are interested in providing a means for players to purchase certain gear sets which aren't available for one reason or another, such as the dungeon sets or death knight starter set. Such a vendor would not provide access to all the gear a player has ever owned, though.

Like most features, this one will probably be most useful to those who are willing to invest the time in getting the most out of it. Or, at least, those who already had items that they like the look of laying around.

Speaking strictly for myself, I plan to have fun revisiting those old raids to build sets that I disposed of in the past.

I understand, thank you for responding. I am disappointed that this is the way you guys have decided to implement this. I think features like this should be convenient and not tedious and ultra-time consuming (as raiding and RBG'ing are already time-consuming). I don't foresee me using this feature but am happy many others will have the time to dedicate to farming previous sets.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]