Let Trial Players Communicate With Each Other

85 Night Elf Druid
08/09/2011 12:34 PMPosted by Thurghul
I have that turned off to help stop spam................... I'd rather have all the free to plays talking in a guild channel asking each other questions than hundreds running around using the /s channel.

So you want gold sellers spamming the guild chat with advertisements in front of new players that don't know any better.

Wow. You're a jerk.
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
/w Blizzzardd you have been reported for conduct violations plz go to phish.scam.stealyourmoney and verify your account information so i can fixes it.

/r oh I better do that

scammers patiently await for accounts to be upgraded..... profit.

As for helping others that's why this forum exists and sites like wowhead and wowpedia and heck even google.
Reply Quote
08/09/2011 12:21 PMPosted by Thurghul
Whats your solution to helping New People trying the game with a question?

I dunno, but I'm starting to wish Blizz would take away their access to this forum.
Reply Quote
11 Orc Hunter
/w Blizzzardd you have been reported for conduct violations plz go to phish.scam.stealyourmoney and verify your account information so i can fixes it.

/r oh I better do that

scammers patiently await for accounts to be upgraded..... profit.

As for helping others that's why this forum exists and sites like wowhead and wowpedia and heck even google.

Free to play cannot /w people unless someone sends them a /tell first.

If anyone falls for these scams..........................they also probably fall for the scams on ebay-craigslist and to send the $500 to the guy in !@#$%ia that needs it for the 10 million + he gets and is willing to split it with you.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
08/09/2011 12:41 PMPosted by Harlan
Whats your solution to helping New People trying the game with a question?

I dunno, but I'm starting to wish Blizz would take away their access to this forum.

Likewise. The "hurr WoW is f2p now" idiots that have moved in as a result of Blizzard's misleading marketing strategy are becoming a real pain to put up with. Inactive accounts are just as annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
08/09/2011 12:42 PMPosted by Thurghul
If anyone falls for these scams..........................they also probably fall for the scams on ebay-craigslist and to send the $500 to the guy in !@#$%ia that needs it for the 10 million + he gets and is willing to split it with you.

Or they have no idea that GMs will always have a blue BLIZZ icon next to their name so you can easily identify them. Or they do not know that battle.net is the only place you should *ever* put your password into.

Get this: they're new. These are things they do not know.

And you want to put them into the lion's den with people who would cut their own mothers for two pieces of copper.
Edited by Buglamps on 8/9/2011 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
08/09/2011 12:42 PMPosted by Thurghul

What is being suggested is that trials can speak to each other. be it in whispers on in a spam logged guild chat....

And yeah there are a lot of niave people out there. Doesn't mean we should give people more opportunities to scam them. I guess grandmothers shouldn't be allowed internet access either right? because you know they might fall for the !@#$%ian prince?
Reply Quote
11 Orc Hunter
08/09/2011 12:45 PMPosted by Buglamps

Or they have no idea that GMs will always have a blue BLIZZ icon next to their name so you can easily identify them. Or they do not know that battle.net is the only place you should *ever* put your password into.

Get this: they're new. These are things they do not know.

And you want to put them into the lion's den with people who would cut their own mothers for two pieces of copper.

Um, go look at the Customer Service forums...................there's tons of PAYING Customers that don't know better either. (and don't know about the separate chat window).

Heck, paying customers still are falling the mass emails sent with massive spelling and grammatical mistakes with the phishing websites.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Um, go look at the Customer Service forums...................there's tons of PAYING Customers that don't know better either. (and don't know about the separate chat window).

Heck, paying customers still are falling the mass emails sent with massive spelling and grammatical mistakes with the phishing websites.

I love how you're avoiding the flaws in your plan with the "But they're stupid so they'll fall for it anyway" card. Haha nice try.

The system isn't broken. If you want to remove the restrictions, pay for it like the rest of us.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter

Thank you for reinforcing my point by reminding everyone that even veterans of this game fall for phishing/gold-selling. If that's the case why would we expect new players to be any more savvy?
Reply Quote
11 Orc Hunter
08/09/2011 12:46 PMPosted by Jilixx

What is being suggested is that trials can speak to each other. be it in whispers on in a spam logged guild chat....

And yeah there are a lot of niave people out there. Doesn't mean we should give people more opportunities to scam them. I guess grandmothers shouldn't be allowed internet access either right? because you know they might fall for the !@#$%ian prince?

My suggestion was to leave the chat restrictions as is, but PERHAPS to make a free 2 play default guild for the players?

I had everyone jump down my throat then. People are going to be hacked, spammed, etc no matter what. Whether its a paid account, free account, etc........... It actually might be better for people to learn about these hackers on a free toon with nothing to lose than at 85.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
08/09/2011 12:54 PMPosted by Thurghul
My suggestion was to leave the chat restrictions as is, but PERHAPS to make a free 2 play default guild for the players?

Nope. If at any point trials can speak with each other, gold spammers will latch onto it and spam the hell out of the poor newbies with advertisements. They don't always target WoW accounts - they can get your banking and personal information if someone unwittingly provides it, thinking the website is real.

We jumped on you because your idea sucks, you cannot defend it, and because we've heard the exact same thing from whiners like you a dozen times before.
Edited by Icedragon on 8/9/2011 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
08/09/2011 12:54 PMPosted by Thurghul
People are going to be hacked, spammed, etc no matter what. Whether its a paid account, free account, etc...........

"People are going to die anyways, why not give all the sadists in the world a gun?" - You on the woes of the world and how to fix them.
Reply Quote
42 Gnome Priest
I think the idea of default 'guild' channel for 'free to plays' has some merit, Thurgul, if it was possible to keep the spammers out. If there was a channel like this on Wow, I'm sure there'd be some nice souls that would level a free to play 'newbie helper' character to answer questions for people. I know I've seen these sorts of channels in other games. They haven't had the persistent problems, though, that WoW does with hackers and spammers.

Just curious, Thurgul, at what point, or level, do players get access to the 'default' guild channel on Warhammer? Does having to level a character to a certain point deter the gold sellers from getting in there and spamming the channel?

In other words, does it actually work?
Edited by Brydie on 8/9/2011 2:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
I think the idea of default 'guild' channel for 'free to plays' has some merit, Thurgul, if it was possible to keep the spammers out. If there was a channel like this on Wow, I'm sure there'd be some nice souls that would level a free to play 'newbie helper' character to answer questions for people. I know I've seen these sorts of channels in other games, but they haven't had the problem that WoW does with hackers and spammers.

Just curious though, Thurgul, at what level do players get access to the 'default' guild channel on Warhammer? Does having to level a character to a certain point deter the gold sellers from getting in there and spamming the channel?

In other words, does it actually work?

As soon as your new character is in-game in my experience you see gold spam. I've played on a couple of the servers there and had the same experience. New character, loads, boom, spam in chat already. Had nothing to do with being in guild or not.
Reply Quote
11 Orc Hunter
I think the idea of default 'guild' channel for 'free to plays' has some merit, Thurgul, if it was possible to keep the spammers out. If there was a channel like this on Wow, I'm sure there'd be some nice souls that would level a free to play 'newbie helper' character to answer questions for people.

Just curious though, Thurgul, at what level do players get access to the 'default' guild channel on Warhammer? Does having to level a character to a certain point deter the gold sellers from getting in there and spamming the channel? In other words, does it work?

Its been a while since I played Warhammer, but i remember running to a different area and then it said "you have joined guild -such and such-", I guess in WOW terms, it would be like running out of the starter zones at level 5.

I never saw gold seller spam in that guild channel, it was always in the open /say channels.

Gold in Warhammer though is pretty pointless though, since it was a PVP based game. Most of the spam was for Renown Rank grinding. That was in the /say channels though.
Reply Quote
42 Gnome Priest
08/09/2011 02:36 PMPosted by Nullwolf
As soon as your new character is in-game in my experience you see gold spam.

Ah, okay. Damn gold spammers. I suppose the only real way to block their access to new players (as much as that's possible) is with hard-coded limitations. That's a real pity.
Edited by Brydie on 8/9/2011 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
42 Gnome Priest
08/09/2011 02:37 PMPosted by Thurghul
Most of the spam was for Renown Rank grinding. That was in the /say channels though.

*ponders*

Well, I don't think your idea is a bad one, Thurgul. The free to play people certainly need something like this to give them a bit more in-game support. Just Wow is such a fat cash cow for hackers and spammers that whatever is put in place, they'd be instantly trying to figure out the best way around it, for the least effort. And they would figure it out, sadly.

Just as an aside, I think I might go and have a look at Warhammer. :)
Edited by Brydie on 8/9/2011 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11 Orc Hunter
08/09/2011 02:49 PMPosted by Brydie
Most of the spam was for Renown Rank grinding. That was in the /say channels though.

*ponders*

Well, I don't think your idea is a bad one, Thurgul. The free to play people certainly need something like this to give them a bit more in-game support. Just Wow is such a fat cash cow for hackers and spammers that whatever is put in place, they'd be instantly trying to figure out the best way around it, for the least effort. And they would figure it out, sadly.

Just as an aside, I think I might go and have a look at Warhammer. :)

No matter what they do, spammers-hackers-cheats will figure a way around things. Honestly, the spam isn't too bad in WOW imho. You get the hacked accounts spamming /yell and /say, but right clicking and reporting as spam fixes that quickly. I just wish when you did that, it carried to all your characters on the account and not just the one you are logged into currently.

Warhammer has an unlimited free to play also, worth checking out. Some cool features like group public quests. The Renown Rank grind is 10000000000000000000000 times worse than honor grinding in WOW. I played for like 2-3 months before I got bored and quit.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
08/09/2011 12:55 PMPosted by Icedragon
Nope. If at any point trials can speak with each other, gold spammers will latch onto it and spam the hell out of the poor newbies with advertisements.

Why not institute a time based limitation on /s or /g (assuming a newbie guild is made)? That way, you can still organize people with similar in game interests or goals, while avoiding the overwhelming spam (/sarcasm) of newbie zones.

I for one, have only been gold spammed one time. And ten minutes later I found out it was my friend griefing me. There is MUCH less of a problem with spamming in WoW, compared to F2P games. I have played dozens of those games, and every one was at least twice as bad as WoW in terms of spam.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]