Let Trial Players Communicate With Each Other

85 Tauren Druid
08/09/2011 03:08 PMPosted by Bowhemian
Why not institute a time based limitation on /s or /g (assuming a newbie guild is made)? That way, you can still organize people with similar in game interests or goals, while avoiding the overwhelming spam (/sarcasm) of newbie zones.

You're implying Blizz wants to implement a whole system here to enable a feature for a player group FROM WHICH THEY EARN NO MONEY. NONE. They aren't going to waste time on this, pure and simple. With things in place the way they are, starter edition players have the incentive to pay for the game.

08/09/2011 03:08 PMPosted by Bowhemian
There is MUCH less of a problem with spamming in WoW, compared to F2P games.

And we would like to keep it that way.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
In response to the theoretical flooding of /w to trial players, many people would assume that /ignore exists from the get go. Others will have the intuition to right click the name and see what their options are. And there are tips on the loading screen advising just what to do in these situations.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
08/09/2011 03:15 PMPosted by Bowhemian
many people would assume that /ignore exists from the get go.

Well the account is free, so the ignored spammer just re-rolls, or makes a new account. Dur.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
08/09/2011 03:14 PMPosted by Thunderkat
You're implying Blizz wants to implement a whole system here

Negative. I recently read in the patch notes (excuse me for not remembering exactly which ones) that a delay had been instituted into some public chat channel or another. Blizzard specifically mentioned that the fix was to reduce the spam that obscured legitimate communication between players.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
08/09/2011 03:17 PMPosted by Bowhemian
Negative. I recently read in the patch notes (excuse me for not remembering exactly which ones) that a delay had been instituted into some public chat channel or another.

Because it was crashing servers. Which impacted paying players.

Again, not going to make a whole mechanic simply to allow starter editions to do moar stuff.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
08/09/2011 03:17 PMPosted by Thunderkat
Well the account is free, so the ignored spammer just re-rolls, or makes a new account

Yeah...that's efficient. /ignored one time, *spammer cries*. Then spends 10-15 minutes creating a new account that probably won't fool anybody anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
08/09/2011 03:19 PMPosted by Bowhemian
Yeah...that's efficient. /ignored one time, *spammer cries*. Then spends 10-15 minutes creating a new account that probably won't fool anybody anyway.

You don't really think the companies that do this actually take that long do you? They have new accounts up and running immediately (probably have some bot or poor sod filling them out constantly) It is literally kicked off and running again in the same 30 seconds or less with these guys. X multitudes of spammers.
Edited by Thunderkat on 8/9/2011 3:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
OK, this thread has been productive....

Since my last non-revolutionary suggestion was flamed, how about opening up user created chat channels for trial use? I understand that this is advanced for new players, but I am not a noob, and I play a starter edition account. I would love to be able to help out other trial players, and show them a good time in Azeroth. But the user created channels block trial speech just like any other channel. I think Blizzard is right on with blocking General, Trade, Local Defense, and Guild Recruitment. When I was first starting, it was an incentive to hit level 10 and talk to people in General. But if you can create a password secured channel, that is accessed through an already implemented invite system, what is the harm?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
08/09/2011 03:36 PMPosted by Bowhemian
But if you can create a password secured channel, that is accessed through an already implemented invite system, what is the harm?

Spamming invites to join chat channels where you'll be spammed to death. That's why trials cannot join or form guilds and parties.

08/09/2011 03:36 PMPosted by Bowhemian
Since my last non-revolutionary suggestion was flamed, how about opening up user created chat channels for trial use?

The whole "If trials can speak ANYWHERE gold farmers will use it to spam advertisements" thing isn't a hard concept to grasp. No. You're muted so the rest of us don't have to put up with gold farmers spamming even more. Don't like it? Put up or shut up.
Reply Quote
42 Gnome Priest
You're implying Blizz wants to implement a whole system here to enable a feature for a player group FROM WHICH THEY EARN NO MONEY. NONE. They aren't going to waste time on this, pure and simple.

Ahh, but this is a group of players who are all potentially new customers (and future guild mates). Attracting new customers is vital for any business. Blizzard has a loyal player base and that's great. But to survive, they can't just rely on their 'regular' players, they have to have an influx of new players (customers) to maintain their position in the market. So with that in mind, the 'free to play' players are an important part of Blizzard's overall marketing strategy and ability to maintain and potentially expand their customer base (and income streams). No business can get by without that. It doesn't matter that a FtP player isn't paying any money, they MIGHT in the future. And that's the important bit, from the point of view of a business interested in staying viable, and prospering.

This is not a flame, Thunderkat. I just see people saying this about FtPs, and it doesn't fit with what I know about standard business practices. And Blizzard is a business, after all.

PS. On that note, I have to go. Tis freezing where I am. I think my fingers are going to fall off.

Edited to sort out a few grammar gremlins. Ack.
Edited by Brydie on 8/9/2011 5:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Ahh, but this is a player group which are all potentially new customers (and future guild mates).

And if you read right under the line you quoted you will see that I said:

08/09/2011 03:14 PMPosted by Thunderkat
With things in place the way they are, starter edition players have the incentive to pay for the game.

If they make starter editions too cozy no one will upgrade. This is just another tantalizing tidbit that they gain access to if they pay. Having a ton of free players in not the objective, it's having subscribers.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin

I have that turned off to help stop spam................... I'd rather have all the free to plays talking in a guild channel asking each other questions than hundreds running around using the /s channel.

Whoever it was that decided to start calling the trial accounts "Free To Play" should be beaten with a rubber hose. Its a trial account, it has many limitations. Those limitations are there for a reason. Some limitations are to prevent abuse by gold spammers / farmers, others are to encourage people to upgrade due to running into the limitations of the trial account.

The reason most of the forum goers here are unconcerned about these limitations (which people rail against on a fairly regular basis), is because we are paying customers who don't consider the monthly fee that blizzard charges to be too onerous. If you want to get rid of the limitations on your account, upgrade to a full paid account. If not, then enjoy, those limitations are unlikely to change much if at all.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
08/09/2011 04:26 PMPosted by Katsutoshi
Whoever it was that decided to start calling the trial accounts "Free To Play" should be beaten with a rubber hose.

Stupidly enough, it was Blizzard's own marketing team. On their trial page and in several ad banners they changed the wording to "Free to Play" to get more players. Unfortunately we're on the receiving end and having to deal with the idiots that think they can demand something from a company without paying anything.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
08/09/2011 12:54 PMPosted by Thurghul
I had everyone jump down my throat then. People are going to be hacked, spammed, etc no matter what. Whether its a paid account, free account, etc........... It actually might be better for people to learn about these hackers on a free toon with nothing to lose than at 85.

No one is jumping down your throat. Disagreement is not the same as being mean, rude or disrespectful. We all have played wow for a long time, and happen to understand in greater detail the reason for the limitations you are complaining about. We have no problem with those limitations, in part because they are there for good reason, and in part because we pay for out accounts.

As for learning these mistakes on a "Free" toon. Its not like you change accounts when you upgrade. The basic security concern is that they fall for something when they are new and inexperienced, and don't suffer the consequences until they actually pay for a full account several weeks / months later. This would happen in mass, and many new users would be incredibly put off by being hacked.

Not to mention that the trial account toons would annoy the hell out of each other with spamming and such. It would make the overall new character experience worse, with very little gain if any.
Reply Quote
42 Gnome Priest
08/09/2011 04:21 PMPosted by Thunderkat
If they make starter editions too cozy no one will upgrade

Yep, I'm sure Blizzard finds it tricky figuring out how much FtP functionality is needed, so the experience is a positive one for new people, but not 'too cozy'. I'd say that they have many interesting meetings about that.

Okay, it's official, I've now frozen into a gnome pop-sickle.

*waves and creaks off*
Edited by Brydie on 8/9/2011 4:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
08/09/2011 03:06 PMPosted by Thurghul
No matter what they do, spammers-hackers-cheats will figure a way around things. Honestly, the spam isn't too bad in WOW imho. You get the hacked accounts spamming /yell and /say, but right clicking and reporting as spam fixes that quickly. I just wish when you did that, it carried to all your characters on the account and not just the one you are logged into currently.

Several years ago the spam was out of control. I had addons that automatically ignored whispers from anyone not on my friends list, and auto declined guid and group invites. It was really out of hand, and that children is why trial account limitations are what they are.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
08/09/2011 04:31 PMPosted by Icedragon
Stupidly enough, it was Blizzard's own marketing team. On their trial page and in several ad banners they changed the wording to "Free to Play" to get more players. Unfortunately we're on the receiving end and having to deal with the idiots that think they can demand something from a company without paying anything.

Grumble grumble grumble ... fine. Their game, but damn is it annoying.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]