[A] <Mellonea> light/med RP guild recruiting.

90 Night Elf Druid
Mellonea is a light/med RP guild that's been around since November 05. We have a handful of members who have been around that long (like me) or nearly that long, but we're looking for some more friendly faces to cause good-natured ruckus with us.

Our website, mellonea.org (it's seriously that easy), has a good overview of the guild environment and all (and the application!), but for a cliff's notes version:

We keep a reputation of being well-spoken and friendly. We don't brook harassment, trade trolls, and so on. We keep our chat level at PG-13. We have separate IC/OOC channels and a forum full of stories and nerdery. We don't have an overarching plot, but all our characters are friends -- or at least civil.

We're currently weighted pretty heavily toward the upper levels, but any level is accepted (We also welcome a wide age range; if you like the rules and can follow them then why should we care if you're 16 or 60?). We've historically allied with Unbroken for raids, but with their throttling back at the end of Cata, things are a bit up in the air at the moment -- but we're still friends even if we're seeing other people. A raid alliance of some sort will be in the offing once we have a handle on Pandaria. ;)

If this tidbit sounds promising, please head on over to mellonea.org and have a look-see at the whole thing and maybe pop in an application. :)
Edited by Cantras on 9/27/2012 10:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
OMG Mellonea is still around!? I've missed you guys. Good luck recruiting
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
We're still around. :) Thanks for the love and the luck.
Reply Quote
I used to be in Mellonea with my Drain-o Warrior, Dalanos. Them's good people.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Aww, thanks Oreet. I didn't remember your warrior's name, but I did remember him being invited and us being all "Omg it's Oreet and he's on alliance." :D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Now that we've got all the recent (awesome!) newbies settled in, we're doing active recruiting again.

One of us, one of us... ;)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
zomg RP guild \o/ Good luck!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
/bump for the arpeez because I miss the arpeez
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Still doing active recruiting! I just feel dirty advertising in general chat. Could be worse though, what if it were trade? ;)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/19/2011 01:58 PMPosted by Cantras
Still doing active recruiting! I just feel dirty advertising in general chat. Could be worse though, what if it were trade? ;)

Never feel dirty. There's another RP guild that sneakily changes their recruitment message for trade so they don't catch grief. At least you're upfront and honest about what sort of guild you have.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Kirin Tor, you people are weird to recruit.

Some weeks back I had someone have a meltdown over the fact that we have an application, saying that applications were for jobs (and also that he'd worked for Fortune 500 companies without needing to do an application, which is both very doubtful and contradictory to his first statement) and made his parting shot "Have fun working at McDonalds". Okay then.

Then yesterday I invited someone who had filled out the application, rather nicely too. Though, notably, he also said he has been through a number of guilds without finding one that was really welcoming.
He joined the guild, said hello, and quit before people even finished saying hello to him. And also put me on ignore. The only theory we have is that it was because we aren't level 25 yet, but you'd think you'd check that on armory before bothering (PROTIP: You can do that), if it was going to be THAT important to you.

Anyway. Dear people who aren't crazy or insistent on being in a level 25 guild nownownow, let me assure you that the app is mostly there just to make sure that you're not illiterate and/or RPing as the bastard half-vampire winged worgen son of Jaina and Darion Mograine. But we are recruiting, we will get to your app very quickly, and we don't bite (*standard tinytext disclaimer about members who may/may not bite*).

Simple enough website address: guildwebpage.com -- come give us a try. :)
Edited by Cantras on 1/12/2012 3:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
01/12/2012 03:53 PMPosted by Cantras
Kirin Tor, you people are weird to recruit.

Quoted for truth.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
let me assure you that the app is mostly there just to make sure that you're not illiterate and/or RPing as the bastard half-vampire winged worgen son of Jaina and Darion Mograine

Dangit, my first concept shot down! =*(
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
01/12/2012 03:53 PMPosted by Cantras
RPing as the bastard half-vampire winged worgen son of Jaina and Darion Mograine.

You know, given some of the creative folks you have, I would love to see someone actually try to make this work. That said, I can also see why you'd want to nip that in the bud (even though I'm so jaded at this point it made me chuckle rather than wince.)

(also BUMP)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Well, interesting things can work. We had a half-demon gnome, we had the long-lost daughter of Duke Zverenhoff, we had a well-respected professor of Gnomeregan who had lost his memory, we have a pally who used to be high-ranking Defias. And there's been neat concepts running around -- Slade, or I saw a Draenei RPing as under a curse and slowly transforming into a succubus (if I'm remembering right, and I can't speak to how well she actually played it). Canon's flexible. It's never said that the Duke has always been a bachelor, or that Eric Thelwater would never parole a Stockades inmate to the care of Northshire Abbey. There's gaps and grey areas that can be played in.

But, the hypothetical bastard half-vampire etc etc players tend to present two problems, from my experience.
One, "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME, I'M THE BHVWWSofJ&DM!! I HAVE STRINGS TO PULL AND DEUS EX MACHINAs TO USE TO SOLVE and/or BE ALL YOUR PROBLEMS BECAUSE I'M THE BHVWWSofJ&DM!!" Really, if you *were* the BHVWWSofJ&DM, do you have any idea how many factions/fringe groups/ideologies would want to see you dead? (and do you have any idea how irritating it is to have a deep and long-running story suddenly brought to an abrupt halt with "let me call my mom, okay your problem is solved"?) Aforementioned interesting-ideas-that-worked all revealed it slowly, kept it on the down-low but hinted at it -- which was easier because they didn't have problem number two:

Two, "I'm the BHVWWSofJ&DM and you just have to believe that, even though you have no reason to and it not only breaks canon, it twists it and rends it into tiny shreds." If you can write a story -- a reasonably-canon, not-full-of-plotholes and preferably literate story about how that happened, providing adequate explanation for your character being 20-something despite Mograine and Jaina being probably 30 and 40, respectively (and how *that* relationship/drunken incident ever happened), and how you became worgen and what exactly a half-vampire is and why it has wings -- you can play the BHVWWSofJ&DM, and more power to you. Otherwise, you're going to say to my character "Hello, I'm the BHVWWSofJ&DM" and my character will smile and nod and file you away as completely bonkers.

So, TL;DR, it's cool to have fun and bend canon and be creative, but people playing the BHVWWSofJ&DM or whatever tend to be not only irritating for their flagrant abuse of canon and common sense, but also attention-demanding godmoders.

That's why we ask about your character *and* about you. :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Noticed the bump, applying soon :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Bump for old school rp. Wish Haze was still active. I should send her a scroll of resurrection and see if we can get circle of discord running again..

Wish your guild luck with being active and finding rp!
Edited by Adeladena on 3/31/2012 12:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ah, I remember the good times of reaping the slimy spawns of Goldshire with the help of Sarolas.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
In the past week or so, our guild forums ate at least two applications. Please, if we don't get back to you in a few days, pester one of us. Send me an in-game mail, send me a whisper, send me an email (cantras dot mellonea at gmail dot com).
Even if we are turning you down, we will still contact you; we don't want to leave anyone hanging.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Bump?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]