2) Glyphs
3) Gems
4) Enchants/re forgery/Stats
5) Macros
6) Talents
7) Actual Healing tips
8) Useful Addons

1) RACE

People often ask which race is best when rolling a Shaman, so depending on your faction here's your best options...

Alliance best choices:

1) Dwarf
-Stone form: Removes all poison, disease and bleed effects and increases your armor by 10% for 8 sec.
-Frost Resistance: Increases your resistance to harmful Frost effects by 85.

2) Draenei
-Gift of the Naaru: Heals the target for X over 15 sec. The amount healed is increased by your attack power/spell power.
-Heroic Presence: Increases your chance to hit with all spells and attacks by 1%.
-Shadow Resistance: Increases your resistance to harmful Shadow effects by 85.

Horde best choices:

1) Goblin
-Rocket Jump: Activates your rocket belt to jump forward. (With shamans excellent maneuvers to run away, this just makes our mobility even better)
-Rocket Barrage: Launches your belt rockets at an enemy.
-Time is Money: 1% increase to attack and casting speed.

2) Tauren
-War Stomp: Stuns up to 5 enemies within 8 yards for 2 seconds.
-Endurance: Base health increased by 5%.
-Nature Resistance: Increases your resistance to harmful Nature effects by 85.

3) Troll
-Regeneration: Increase health regeneration bonus by 10%. Also allows 10% of normal health regen during combat.
-Da Voodoo Shuffle: Reduces the duration of all movement impairing effects by 15%.
-Berserking: Activate to increase attack and casting speed by 20% for 10 seconds.

2) GLYPHS

Prime
-Glyph of Earth Shield: Increases the amount healed by your Earth Shield by 20%.
-Glyph of Riptide: Increases the duration of Riptide by 40%.
*For the last glyph, its a choice between:*
-Glyph of Earth Living Weapon: Increases the effectiveness of your Earthliving Weapon's periodic healing by 20%.
-Glyph of Water shield: Increases the passive mana regeneration of your Water Shield spell by 50%.

Major
-Glyph of Hex: Reduces cool down of your Hex spell by 15 sec.
-Glyph of Stoneclaw Totem: Your Stoneclaw Totem also places a damage absorb shield on you, equal to 4 times the strength of the shield it places on your totems.
-Glyph of Healing Stream: Your Healing Stream Totem also increases the Fire, Frost, and Nature resistance of party and raid members within 30 yards by 195.

Minor
These are 100% preference, but I use these since they're great for BGs and Rated BGs so you can buff water walking on everyone.

-Glyph of Water breathing: Your Water Breathing spell no longer requires a reagent.
-Glyph of Water Walking: Your Water Walking spell no longer requires a reagent.
I have this glyph just so before rated BGs i don't have to remember to buy a bunch of reagents.
-Glyph of Renewed Life: Your Reincarnation spell no longer requires a reagent.

3) GEMS

There's a few different gems you're able to stick in your slots, depending on if you need a certain stat over another. Personally, I don't stack 40 intellect gems in my red slots, i stack Willful ember topaz gems for the extra resilience.

Red: Brilliant inferno ruby (40 intel)
Red: Willful ember topaz (20 int/20 resil)
Yellow: Mystic amberjewel (40 resil)
Yellow: Willful ember topaz (20 int/20 resil)
Blue: Veiled demonseye (20 int/20 hit)
Blue: Purified demonseye (20 int/20 spirit)
If you don't have the Spell pen neck or cloak you're going to need to get spell pen capped, so this alternative blue gem is what you'll need, but there's no reason why you should pick up the Spell pen cloak or neck.
Blue: Vivid Dream Emerald (20 resil/20 spell pen)
Edited by Sleezyteez on 8/18/2011 6:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
4) ENCHANTS, RE FORGING AND STATS

-Head: Arcanum of Vicious Intellect (60 intel + 35 resil)
-Shoulder: Greater Inscription of Vicious Intellect (50 intel + 25 resil)
-Cloak: 50 intellect
-Chest: 40 Resil or +20 stats (Personally I take the 40 resil)
-Wrists: 50 Intellect or 50 Hit rating. If your not hit capped grab the 50 hit if you're hit capped get the 50 intellect.
-Gloves: 50 Mastery or 50 Haste. Some people stack haste and some people stack mastery so choose one accordingly, note that if you have a number such as 7.48 mastery, that .48 isn't being used and therefore is going to waste, the only thing that matters is when it hits a whole number, so you would want to boost your mastery up to 8.00 or drop it down to 7.00.
-Waist: Ebonsteel Belt Buckle (Allows another socket into the belt)
-Pants: Powerful Ghostly Spellthread (95 intel + 55 spirit)
-Boots: 50 hit rating
-Main hand weapon: Now this is a huge question people always ask, PT or HS? The thing with HS is that since it increases your spirit, the extra spirit is ALWAYS useful when your not at 100% mana, besides how often are you at 100% mana? almost never, so having the 200 extra spirit is never wasted. As for PT, it increases intel by a ton! but in arena your not always casting so the extra mana tends to go to waste. Power Torrent (Chance to increase intellect by 500 when you cast a spell) If you cant afford power torrent get Heartsong (Chance to increase Spirit by 200). That's how a lot of people base it but i tend to find HS more useful for ME. If you can, try both of them and see which works best for you.
Offhand: 40 intellect
** You guys should always be running with Main Hand and offhand, it should be obvious as to why, we have the ability to wield shields which has 12000+ armor and the fact that you can enchant the shield with 40 more intellect as to if you used a staff which you would only get 1 enchant**

Here's the list of stats in priority...

4% Spell hit / 195+ Spellpen > Resil > Intell > Spirit > Mastery > Crit/Haste
Some prefer to stack Haste over mastery and that's preference So as for reforging... Reforge all the crit/haste items to hit until you've reached 4%. If your comfortable with your amount of spirit start reforging stats to haste or mastery. It's all preference, so nothing is technically wrong.

5) MACROS

Here's a link to useful macros straight from the WoW website.
<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739861">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739861</a>

6) TALENTS

Here's two different specs for you to choose from:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#hZbhMbZMGbGsdfosz:dMbcdr
#1 This spec is the most common spec that you'll see most shamans using, because its great for everything. If you're new to shaman healing you'll more than likely choose this spec.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#hZbhMbZMGfGszrosz:dMbcdr
#2 Here's the second spec to choose from, its not TOO different from the first one posted, but it includes focused insight, which many shamans don't prefer to heal this way but if you learn to play this style it'll be really helpful on mana and such.

Focused Insight: After casting any shock spell your next healing spells mana is reduced by 75% and the effectiveness is increased by 30%. Some people will have specced into this and some will not. Its all based on your play style, if you like to shock before you cast a heal then spec into this.
Edited by Sleezyteez on 8/18/2011 6:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
7) ACTUAL HEALING IN ARENA AND RATED BGs

Now the above information is generally how to gear and get your character READY to enter Arena and Rated BGs but how do we actually play a Resto Shaman to its full potential?

First off lets talk about our mana consumption. Due to our Mana tide totem nerf we only receive 200% of our spirit for 12 seconds, down from 400%. This isn't a huge nerf that effects us, but it just means that you can't sit back dropping Greater Healing Waves. You need to be smart with what heals you are casting. A good time to start thinking about using your mana tide totem is around 50% mana and sometimes not even that late, around 60ish%. Please do not drop the totem right in the middle of an open area, because chances are people are since its highly noticeable, its going to be killed in 1 global, so try to hide it behind a pillar if you can. If you see an enemy going over to kill your mana tide, drop stoneclaw right away which will bubble your mana tide totem. Remember guys, always have water with you so you can drink, this is the most efficient way of getting mana back. A good team will not let you get a drink off but many teams will slip and you can run away and drink.

Now lets talk Arena. I can not stress how important positioning is in Arena. I would say your positioning is the most important key to winning games, if you stand out in the open all game, you're going to get controlled by hunters and mages and not going to win much. If you learn how to hide behind pillars and avoid getting attacked by ranged DPS you're already going places.

Against casters you're going to be using your grounding totem and wind sheer like crazy. The best way to fight a caster in Arena is to put them on focus and use a wind sheer macro that wind sheers your focused target, it'll make your life a whole lot easier. When you see them casting spells just sheer them to interrupt their cast. Also drop grounding totem to avoid getting hit with certain spells if you can't sheer or if it's on CD. These two spells against casters will help you win games and annoy them for the most part.

If you're not fake casting to force the enemy to use their interrupt, today is great day to start practicing fake casting. Start casting a heal and about a quarter threw the heal just jump or stop the cast, and hope that your enemy used their interrupt but didn't lock your spells out so now, depending on what class it was that tried to interrupt you, you have that amount of time to free cast without worrying about getting interrupted or spell locked. I'd advise you pick up the addon "Interrupt Bar". This addon shows mini pictures of the interrupts and when your opponents use them and shows how long til they are off CD letting you know how long you have to free cast. Don't forget young shamans, that you can drop totems EVEN WHILE SILENCED. Which is amazing and will sometimes save your life.

When melee are on you, assuming you have the Stoneclaw glyph: Drop stoneclaw then right after drop earthbind and ghost wolf away (or kite around the pillar). Dropping stoneclaw will put a shield on you that absorbs damage and you don't have to keep the stoneclaw totem up to keep the shield, right as its dropped you get the shield so that's why you're able to drop earthbind right after and get out of there. Also let's no forget about Earth shield, when getting trained by melee put ES on yourself right away. You don't want to get stunlocked by a rogue and not have ES up on you, can be deadly.

Lets discuss Rated BGs. If you can do all the above in your sleep than RBGs shouldn't be a big problem although considering there's a lot more people on your team and you're a healer, chances are you're going to be a huge target and get trained to death. Especially now since everyone has the addon, healers must die, putting a huge Healing symbol above your head. Biggest thing to worry about in RBGs is just to kite kite kite. earthbind > ghostwolf and run away.

Lets not forget communication between team members, which plays a big role in winning games and surviving.

8) ADDONS
Many of the "Elitists" will tell you not to use any addons, but its not a bad idea to use a FEW in my opinion. I'm only going to list a few that I use, I'm sure many of you use more and that's fine, if you play better with using other add-ons keep using them. I stick to less because i don't like to cluster my screen with half-useless information.

-Gladius: An alternative enemy unit frame for Arena. very very useful this is a must have.
-Interrupt bar: Thanks to Kollektiv (who made this) we can now see our enemy's interrupt CDs, once again another must have in order to fake cast and know how long you have to free cast.
-SpellAlterter: This isn't a must have but I use it and I find it very helpful, when someone is getting hexed for example, at the top of your screen it'll show WHO is hexing and who is about to get hexed.
Edited by Sleezyteez on 8/18/2011 6:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
i support this!

Edit: Requested Sticky!
Edited by Tshaman on 8/12/2011 1:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Thank you !!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I didn't think it was that in depth :(
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
08/12/2011 02:30 PMPosted by Omaja
I didn't think it was that in depth :(

In a way i would agree, its not the most in depth guide as to why this and why that. If i have time soon ill definitely edit and go more ind depth on certain aspects.

As for a new person though, it still covers basics to learn off of.
Reply Quote
I don't see anything here that is wrong persay thought I don't agree with you're first trinket I use Darkmoon Card:Tsuimie or Fall of Moraility.

08/12/2011 08:55 PMPosted by Sleezyteez
As for a new person though, it still covers basics to learn off of.

Yes this does but here the main issue I have with this is the fact you're RBG rating I can't find it and you're 3v3 rating isn't high at all.

Should I sticky this, perhaps. I haven't 100% made up my mind
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I agree with you, i don't like that trinket either, but i haven't gotten around to getting my Tsunami on her, since this is an alt, hence the low achive score, and low HKs etc.

Haha yes for my Arena ratings they're bad but im not concerned with them atm. Havent gotten on a serious team this season yet. But for my RBG rating?? you say you cant find it... maybe you dont know where to look.

But what i got from your post was since im not a Gladiator i cant post a guide to help some people? Especially since i see multiple threads a day for resto pvp help and we dont have a sticky dealing wit this yet.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
if you have a number such as 7.48 mastery, that .48 isn't being used and therefore is going to waste, the only thing that matters is when it hits a whole number, so you would want to boost your mastery up to 8.00 or drop it down to 7.00.

I'm about 99.999% sure this is wrong.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I'm 100% sure it's wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Fraka, RBG rating is under "more PVP information," Sleezy's is 1736. BTW, another option for blue is +20 resil/+20 spell pen, if you're gemming/enchanting for it rather than using the cloak.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Thank you Hallany, i added that gem.
Reply Quote
Sorry for my nubness but... why spell pen?

Also, second spec is on old pattern, no Spirit Link (although I assume it wouldnt be used on arena?).
Edited by Maharen on 8/14/2011 7:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Oops yes ill fix the spec problems and As for spell pen, you want 195 spell pen (for Arena) so your Hex, shocks and sheers don't get resisted.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
For goblins, mention the haste, thats pretty important, good guide though
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
08/14/2011 09:02 PMPosted by Heylisten
For goblins, mention the haste, thats pretty important, good guide though

can't believe i forgot this! lol thank you, added.
Reply Quote
You gave a breakdown of Stats priority, but it would be very helpful if you designed a gearset. There are Armory-like websites where you can pick gear, enchants and gems. For example, should we go for "Meditation" or "Alacraty" pieces? This kind of thing confuses new people trying to gear up and some info on that department would be great.

Another thing would be suggestions/tips on when to use BL and Spirit Link on arena situations, since these can have optimal or wasted usage on arena.

Question - do we even consider Ghost Wolf glyph for the extra 5% speed?

In any manner, thanks for a good guide.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
u should put a few more key addons in there as well. i use gladiatorlossa and i love it
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
@Maharen: I will throw in a which gear to choose section, because i realize it can be confusing to new 85s as which gear exactly to choose although when its choosing between meditation and Alacraty, lol hopefully they realize spirit gear but i will definitely add that in. you cant use BL in arena anymore so that's not an issue. I use the 5% ghost wolf glyph over the 195 more resistances simply because i find it more useful for me.

@Nicegooey: I will add that section as well.

thank you for your feedback.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]