The Official Adopt-A-Turtle Campaign Thread!

85 Human Mage
Adopt-A-Turtle Campaign

Hi folks! Foury here. I'd like to tell you about our upcoming Adopt-A-Turtle campaign. In just a few short weeks, you will be able to sponsor your very own Giant Alterac Valley Turtle.

What is a Giant Alterac Valley Turtle, you ask?

Well, a Giant Alterac Valley Turtle is a very rare and highly endangered creature found primarily in Alterac Valley. The reason we are trying to save this majestically playful critter is because it is the primary food source of the PvP, another critically endangered organism here in the Valley.

These two species were once found all over the Alterac Mountains, often spotted frolicking capriciously near large gatherings of player characters. Unfortunately, Turtles have become rarer and rarer in recent years, and it's up to you to help us bring them back.

It all started back in the days of Vanilla WoW. When Alterac Valley was first introduced, it had all sorts of NPC units, plus a bunch of mini-bosses. These NPC's would function as a sort of flow regulator for the battleground, preventing players from zerging straight to the end boss. Back then, the vast majority of AV matches involved Giant Alterac Valley Turtles.

Turtles were wonderful, primarily because they were all about PvP action. Nobody would race past the enemy faction without a fight, because if they tried, they'd be torn to shreds by elite NPC's.

Yes, back when Turtles ran freely throughout the snow-covered Valley of Alterac, players came from far and wide to test their mettle against a mortal enemy. For many people, the reward came not from the honor or reputation gained, but from the knowledge that they would spend three good, solid hours beating the living tar out of the enemy faction.

Eventually, however, the gods of Warcraft decided that they didn't like Turtles. They sought to have these adorably innocent creatures exterminated by removing most of the NPC's (a major food source for Turtles) from Alterac Valley.

This was initially lauded as a Good Thing, and there was little concern for the welfare of our reptilian friends — At least, at first.

Slowly, the Alterac Valley Turtles began to die off. Although life without Turtles appealed to a few players, more and more began to notice that something was missing.

Alterac Valley had grown stale and boring. Most players just wanted to rush to the end, collect honor points, and leave. They didn't care if the match ended in victory or defeat, just so long as they didn't see a single Turtle.

Here is a quote from one such honor farmer, whose name remains hidden for their own protection:

Well there I was, racing past the Field of Strife, making sure to avoid the Horde at all costs, when suddenly I realized that they had all jumped into Galv's fortress! Well, I had managed to go all day without seeing a Turtle, but here was the biggest darned Turtle I'd clapped eyes on in a month!

I wish they would exterminate the last of those fellish things. Who in their right mind wants to waste time fighting other players when there's PvP gear to grind for? Not me, that's for sure.

Obviously those poor, helpless Turtles are in need of some loving.

As it stands, Turtles are now a critically endangered species in Alterac Valley. Those of us here at the Adopt-A-Turtle Foundation would like to preserve them in their natural habitat, so that future generations can enjoy the rare and legendary Giant Alterac Valley Turtles. They are an integral part of the AV ecosystem, and without Turtles to feed on, other creatures such as PvP may soon go extinct.

"Wow, Foury! I had no idea people hated Turtles so much! How can I halp save them?"

Well Magic Voice, beginning on August 26th, 2011 at 7:00pm PDT, our Adopt-A-Turtle agents will be standing by inside Alterac Valley to receive your support.

In an effort to bring Turtles (and their natural predator, PvP) back to Alterac Valley, we are going to implore the gods of Warcraft to bring back the Turtles' natural food source, NPC's. We will do this by performing the sacred Rite of Turtling. This ancient tradition will rely heavily on your support during the battle, as it requires a number of people to defend some key points:

If you are an Alliance player, rush straight to Captain Balinda Stonehearth's room and stay there. You can even buff her to some extent! Mmm... 6% spellpower increase. Yummy! Don't forget to kill the healers first...

If you are playing on the Horde side, find Captain Galvangar's fortress right away, and do your part to keep him alive as well. Heal him, or hit those pesky Alliance players with all manner of Crowd Control effects! You can even deathgrip the tank outside so Galvangar will reset...

Once each team's respective Captain has been successfully defended, the next step is to begin recapturing towers. For Alliance, this means that you need to stay on the northern half of the map, while the Horde players remain entrenched on the southern side of the Field of Strife.

Then, all you need to do is /dance and wait for the Giant Turtles to show up.

With your support, we can bring Turtles and PvP back to Alterac Valley. All we ask is that, on August 26, instead of racing to the enemy General, please:

Defend your Captain instead!

Any player wishing to participate should join up with other players from his or her server and join Alterac Valley together as a group (using Preform AV Enabler if necessary). The more participants we have, the bigger our impact will be!

After the battle has begun (once the gates have lifted) use these macros:

/y As part of the Adopt-A-Turtle Campaign, players on both teams are going to defend Balinda/Galvangar all weekend. This will force PvP and be WICKED AWESOME, so please join us in our Captain's bunker right now!

/y For more information on the Adopt-A-Turtle Campaign, check out the official World of Warcraft Forums. Help us bring PvP back to Alterac Valley!

MORE INFORMATION:

"Why Isn't AV Fun Anymore?"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2743697818
"It's Time for Some PvP Lovin'!"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2878768615
"A 'Brief' History of AV"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2952885503

Round and round the Field they prance,
Protesting Blizzard's silence.
Horde and Alliance, united in dance.
A fight without any violence.
Edited by Foury on 8/14/2011 9:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I support this thread, and Foury. <3

I will try and participate. Sounds like a blast. Actual pvp in a BG that doesn't consist of blowing up walls.
Edited by Raevana on 8/14/2011 9:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I am going to throw in my support on this as well! I will adopt a turtle and take good care of it!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Those poor turtles. I actually saw one in an AV match a few days ago. Was funny watching those poor Alliance try and hold us back at the bridge. We farmed them to zero resources. >.>
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Obligatory I like turtles! post.

Reply Quote
87 Draenei Shaman
AV turtles are pretty much the only fun time for low level warlocks. Just find a nice edge or handy "LoS" spot, and proceed to dot everything that moves while rotating fears on all healers.

For added lawls, summon your infernal and let all hell break loose (literally, you're a warlock).

It's amazing how much difference a feared healer/twink can make.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Did i just read every link & thumbs up every post Foury put up 0.o
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
But problem is just me defending, need atleast 10 stop whole team!

Reply if you can
Edited by Drownage on 8/15/2011 2:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
I like the idea, and I like the everything.

Personally, I believe they should change the Random Battleground feature!

Why are we forced to do a random! I could just as easily do any BG to get the same stuff, why does it have to be random sometimes I don't like certian places can't the weekend be the only extra incentive we need for Battlegrounds!

But yea, I do like the Turtle.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
But problem is just me defending, need atleast 10 stop whole team!

Reply if you can

That's why a whole bunch of us are queueing at the same time - August 26 at 7:00pm Pacific Time. That's 8pm Mountain, 9pm Central and 10pm Eastern.

Help spread the word, and there will be even more people joining in.

NEW! Adopt-A-Turtle Campaign:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2973254007
August 26th, 7:00pm PDT / 8:00pm MDT / 9:00pm CDT / 10:00pm EDT
Defend your Captain and towers, then /dance!

Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I shall name him squishy and he shall be mine.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
WoW that was great and being built up but I must say let AV alone for now and get that Gilneas World PvP up and running then bring back old AV and that altogether would be amazing because you either go fight in the snowy mountains or the victorian country. Next would be I would hope some underwater fighting maybe or an air battle like with siege planes and airships and goblin jet packs to fly around and help kill people. Still AV needs to go back to it's glory days.
Reply Quote
I'm glad these are finally being placed on the protected species list.
Reply Quote
29 Undead Warlock
You know what I remember? Asking in the global PvP channel reserved for high ranks about which AV was a turtle so that I could avoid it when the queue popped. It's really not as fun as you think it was with your rose colored glasses. Generally you'd get bored in about half an hour, decide to wait out the queue again, and just leave.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
08/15/2011 08:12 AMPosted by Mierin
You know what I remember? Asking in the global PvP channel reserved for high ranks about which AV was a turtle so that I could avoid it when the queue popped. It's really not as fun as you think it was with your rose colored glasses. Generally you'd get bored in about half an hour, decide to wait out the queue again, and just leave.

...And the current "race to the finish" version is more fun how?

I enjoyed longer Alterac Valley matches. No rose-coloured glasses: It was infinitely more fun for me than today's version.

I would rather spend two hours in one epic warzone than two hours in five different PvE races, and I'm not alone.

NEW! Adopt-A-Turtle Campaign:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2973254007
August 26th, 7:00pm PDT / 8:00pm MDT / 9:00pm CDT / 10:00pm EDT
Defend your Captain and towers, then /dance!

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]