captureing a pet.

(Locked)

20 Human Hunter
Hello, i just hit lv10 and got the ability to tame a new pet.
but when i go to use it it says i already have too many.
all i have is a wolf and a cat.
do i ned to level up more so that i can unlock more slots?
85 Worgen Death Knight
You'll need to take one or more of your current pets to the Stable and put them away before you can tame another one.

Usually located near your Hunter Trainer. Or if you're in a big city (Stormwind, Irongforge etc....) Ask a guard.
Edited by Nullwolf on 8/16/2011 6:29 PM PDT
85 Draenei Death Knight
yup, if u want to get another pet, u have to summon one of your pets, then dismiss (or is it abandon? havent been on my hunter for a while), and then you can tame another one. an alternate method would be to simply go to SW and find the npc that can look after your pets
- World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Yes... you will need to be higher level before you can get the higher levels of Call Pet (by level 85 you may have up to 5 pets with you at once).

Until then, though, you can only carry a limited amount of pets, so to free up more space for a new pet, you will have to put your current one(s) in the stable, at a stable master in town.

I think by level 10 you can only carry 1 pet at a time, so you will have to put the current one in the stable, then run out into the wilderness petless to tame a new one. When you get higher levels of Call Pet, you just need to have at least one slot open, and dismiss your current pet before taming.
85 Worgen Death Knight
Also, in general, try to just have one of a particular type. i.e. 1 cat, 1 wolf, 1 bear, 1 turtle etc...
Especially at lower levels. Now, once you get higher you can play the "Gotta catch em all" game and go after Rare pets etc... and keep more than one of a kind.

My current Hunter NORMALLY keeps a Cat and a Wolf on him. The Wolf for PvE and the Cat for BGs. Since he's a Night Elf, he and the cat both stealth near the flags and tear up people.
20 Human Hunter
thank you all for the quick replies.
I only started playing today and everytime ive asked for help if been given a polite and helpfull answer.
Thank You!
100 Human Mage
Keep in mind that as players have 10 different classes (hunter, mage, DK etc.), there are 3 different pet classes (ferocity, tenacity and cunning). Each of these serves different roles best: Ferocity is a damage dealer; tenacity is a tank; and since cunning can do either role (but not as well as the other) it excels in PvP.

Also, each "race" of pet (cat, bear, wolf, etc.) has special abilities which you (and your pet) can use during play, so in some circumstances you might want to choose a pet based on its special abilities.

Everything else you always wanted to know about pets you can find at wow-petopia.com.
Edited by Raimondas on 8/16/2011 7:07 PM PDT
60 Troll Hunter
08/16/2011 07:22 PMPosted by Infra
3. level up; this allows you to obtain the skills call pet 2,3,4. as you obtain call pet 2 you can tame 2 pets, 3 ; 3 pets, 4; 4 pets , etc.. i think it stops at 4.

It stops at 5

08/16/2011 07:22 PMPosted by Infra
- a hunter REALLY only needs 1 single pet. if you are BM your most likely best to stick with a ferocity pet as it does the msot dps. SV and MM you can choose whatever pets you want. they have their own sets their best used with but some ppl like i dont care for those types as I am a MM and as a MM we are supposed to use tenactiy pets to hold aggro while we kill them but i use a ferocity pet to kill them faster.

Negative. You should have a tenacity pet for questing to hold your aggro a ferocity pet for dungeons and dps and a cunning pet (read spider) for Pvp
80 Orc Hunter
thank you all for the quick replies.
I only started playing today and everytime ive asked for help if been given a polite and helpfull answer.
Thank You!

I started a Human hunter on Misha a day ago. If you're not on a trial account, feel free to email me or check for me in game. I'll be on for short periods 3-4 times a day for the next few days.
EDIT: My hunters name is Gramma
Edited by Nok on 8/16/2011 9:06 PM PDT
12 Night Elf Hunter
hey everyone are there only certain animals I can tame because I saw an animal called [item="Tame Crag Boar" /] and I wasnt sure if you can only tame animals with tame at the beggining
92 Gnome Rogue
08/17/2011 05:49 AMPosted by Telandis
hey everyone are there only certain animals I can tame because I saw an animal called [item="Tame Crag Boar" /] and I wasnt sure if you can only tame animals with tame at the beggining

Yes, there are certain animals you can't tame, but it's not related to having "tame" in their name. There's an ability called "Beast Lore" I think, that lets you see if you can tame a certain animal (the spell has other effects as well) but until you get it, it's just a matter of "try and see".
85 Worgen Death Knight
Wow-petopia.com
Lists all tameable pets etc... If you play a hunter, bookmark it.
90 Gnome Priest
Outside of almost every Inn (accept fpr in citys) there will be a Stable Master, it might be a good idea early on to keep a few "junk/temporary" pets in the stable (anything will do, whatever you find nearby) so that when you are looking for something specific you have a temporary pet you can abandon when you get where you are going.
60 Troll Hunter
08/17/2011 07:04 AMPosted by Bilwick
it might be a good idea early on to keep a few "junk/temporary" pets in the stable

?????

What's wrong with the pet you get at first?

08/17/2011 07:50 AMPosted by Jilixx
it might be a good idea early on to keep a few "junk/temporary" pets in the stable

?????

What's wrong with the pet you get at first?

What's wrong with stabling a pet you want to keep and picking up any old temp pet on your way to get a rare? I mean, there are potential disposable pets everywhere.
60 Troll Hunter
What's wrong with stabling a pet you want to keep and picking up any old temp pet on your way to get a rare? I mean, there are potential disposable pets everywhere.

I just don't understand why you'd need to have a temp pet to get a rare. Just me I guess. you can't take pets that are above your level so you should be able to go with out a pet to tame one. To each their own.
08/17/2011 10:02 AMPosted by Jilixx

I just don't understand why you'd need to have a temp pet to get a rare. Just me I guess. you can't take pets that are above your level so you should be able to go with out a pet to tame one. To each their own.

Once you have flying, it doesn't matter.

Without flying, getting to the rare without a pet can be tougher than getting to the rare with a pet. Dumping a temp takes seconds once you're in position.
80 Orc Hunter
I'm with Harlan on this. I always tame a disposable pet if I don't have an empty pet slot. A hunter running without a pet just feels wrong and is also a good way to get nibbled on.
- World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter
08/17/2011 11:51 AMPosted by Nok
I'm with Harlan on this. I always tame a disposable pet if I don't have an empty pet slot. A hunter running without a pet just feels wrong and is also a good way to get nibbled on.

Pssh, you boys have no sense of adventure. Don't tell me we've forgotten the days of waiting until level 10 just to have a pet at all! ;)

For me, at least, I've never used Tame Pet on a pet I didn't intend to keep, nor have I ever abandoned a pet. That would be one reason one might want to go out without a pet. Then again, I don't feel like it's that hard to run around petless before level 18, when you get Call Pet 2, but it might be for a new player. Both options are with merit, I think.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]