Transmogrifying Legendary Weapons

(Locked)

85 Troll Hunter
It was stated that you cannot Transmogrify Legendary weapons, nor apply a skin to them. However, a lot of people have been asking for the ability to reuse our legendary weapons for a long time, and this seems counter-productive.

The argument can be made that it makes legendary weapons less legendary, but barring the few levels they're viable for, they end up being bag space afterwards. There is literally no reason to use an old legendary weapon after you level past the tier of gear it is contained in, so how does that make it legendary?

You can currently go back and farm every legendary, it might be difficult, but it's still available, so you can't argue that it's because of the rarity.

If the reasoning is that everyone will be running around with one, once again, they're all obtainable, and for those who do obtain them, they sit in SW/Org and that's it. What's the difference between sitting in Org and being able to use your old Legendary during a raid?

If the reasoning is that you can reskin your legendary to make it something else, say Dragonwrath to Anathema so that you look less threatening, why not retain restriction to reskinning the legendary but allow other weapons to use the skin.

Just curious about this, I'd hoped for a long time to be able to use Thori'dal again, and this seemed like it was finally the opportunity, and then we were told otherwise.

Edit:
Kaivax posted the following.
Legendaries will always be identifiable on sight.

My argument is that a legendary weapon will be banked after the tiers of gear it's used in. So the status of the weapon as a symbol of power goes away (Having a legendary at the level it's meant for is seen as a sign of status.) Having Thunderfury at level 85 is not. In fact, using old legendaries for any current content is asking to be kicked.

Once again, why relegate the old legendary weapons to shelf status?
Edited by Carnacki on 8/17/2011 5:26 PM PDT
85 Draenei Paladin
08/17/2011 05:11 PMPosted by Carnacki
a lot of people have been asking for the ability to reuse our legendary weapons for a long time

If you put the skin on another weapon you are using that weapon. Not the legendary. These are two separate arguments here.

I don't really see the harm. I really don't even care. I just wanted to point out that wielding a rusted ax that looks like a legendary is still a rusted axe. Wielding a legendary is actually having all it's ability's scaled up to current stats.
85 Draenei Shaman
I didn't read anywhere that it said legendary weapons were disallowed. In fact, the images used in the blog post show a Paladin wearing judgement armor with a Sulfuras.
85 Troll Hunter
There were generally two different schools of thought on the subject. One was reusing it with a scaling ability, the other was reusing it as a skin for BoA weapons/some form of use other than bag space.
85 Troll Hunter
08/17/2011 05:15 PMPosted by Araeya
I didn't read anywhere that it said legendary weapons were disallowed. In fact, the images used in the blog post show a Paladin wearing judgement armor with a Sulfuras.

Another blue post stated it. And yes, the blog post shows Sulfuras, which is why I was so excited in the first place. =(
85 Orc Death Knight
its gonna be lame if we cannot skin our items with our old legendary items
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2973026165?page=25#487

There is the quote for legendaries not being able to be transd.

I strongly disagree with their stance and ask them to reconsider.
85 Troll Hunter

Kaivax
Blue Poster
#487 - 2011/08/17 05:54:00 PM
it will be nice to see the old armor sets again, and glaives and so on.

everyone has some item they like a lot for aesthetic reasons but have had to put it in their bags as it is no longer "viable".

it's good we have this option to make use of that gear once again without it being a dps/hps loss. just think, thunderfury with the stats of the tank sword off beth'tilac! :p

You will not be able to transmogrify using a legendary item as either the source or the recipient of a change.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/191174/transmogrification-is-coming
Source
85 Human Warrior
i do think blizzard should allow players who have obtained legendaries the ability to use them "forever" if they so choose. it just seems more "legendary" that way...

maybe you should be able to transmogrify a current tier weapon IF you obtained the legendary previously?
It takes away the legendary part if you can make your level 5 green sword look like Thunderfury.
85 Tauren Warrior
08/17/2011 05:20 PMPosted by Klitschko
In less than a day I went from happy about this idea to now not even caring.

Agree, being able to use the TF graphic for the rest of my play experience was one of the BIG things I was looking forward to.
85 Blood Elf Rogue
08/17/2011 05:23 PMPosted by Kharys
It takes away the legendary part if you can make your level 5 green sword look like Thunderfury.
Didn't know level 5's could get Thunderfury.
85 Troll Hunter
08/17/2011 05:31 PMPosted by Sanctalio
if you have previously acquired a legendary, you can use the skin on another weapon. whether or not 'fairness' comes into play, is irrelevant.

That's what I was hoping for.

Thanks for the constructive replies!
08/17/2011 05:29 PMPosted by Defiasbandït

Who said the wielder of the sword was level 5?
98 Draenei Paladin
08/17/2011 05:36 PMPosted by Kharys

point was you have to have the item in the first place if you want to have its skin on an item

point was you have to have the item in the first place if you want to have its skin on an item

Yes, I know that. My point is that if you can take any weapon and turn it into a legendary, then it's not so legendary anymore.
90 Night Elf Hunter
They've also said that they are implementing this feature with very conservative restrictions at first. It sort of "Let's start with tighter restrictions and see how things go."

We'll see if they open up Legendaries down the road. I'd like to use Thori'dal myself, but at the start I'm okay using something else.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]