Transmogrifier: Armor Restriction Solution

85 Human Death Knight
I'm fine with SOME restrictions, and we will gladly meet you half-way on your refusal to see Death Knights wearing a combat robe, but please don't restrict Flavor Items and Plate Wearers who HAD to wear MAIL levels 1-40. We have some favorite equipment from those days, and some favorite holiday seasons. I believe you will agree with our reasoning in this post.

Please let me know which of the solutions you support. If we all let blizzard know, they may listen to us, and our reasoning.

I separated each of the solutions into separate headings:

* Solution 1

* Solution 2

* Solution 3

* Gray Items

* Legendaries

* Holiday Items

* Dungeon Set 0, .5 and DK Starter Set

Solution 1:
Plate Wearers should be allowed to utilize Mail (but not leather - many mail armor sets look like plate to begin with). Example: Scarlet Set from Scarlet Monastery IS A MAIL ARMOR SET designed for the PLATE classes (Warrior, Paladin). THIS should be permitted. I really DO want to wear my Scarlet Set. I farmed for it on my paladin 8 months after WoW came out. That's HOW LONG I've had my scarlet set.

Mail wearers should be allowed to utilize Leather (but not cloth).

Leather casters should be allowed to utilize cloth.

Solution 2:
I seriously believe that all flavor items should be allowed. MASKS for Halloween. Top Hats. Santa Clothes.

The PvP argument holds no weight about armor class type because people are routinely using Nagafen's Elixir as well as costumes in order to conceal their gear. I can't tell you how many pirates and ninjas I see in battlegrounds anymore. If people want to see real equipment they should have a checkbox that turns it off.

The Pirate Wands, Ninja Wands, Nagafen's Elixirs are ALREADY in WIDE SPREAD USE and VIOLATING the sanctity of viewing PVP equipment that you claim exists. People are doing this right now - preventing you from seeing their equipment.

Just give us this, PLEASE. Add some sort of stat called "Holiday" or "Flavor Item" to these flavor items. THIS would give them an exception to the rule.

Solution 3:
Keep the armor type restrictions in place, but allow certain "sets" to have exceptions: i.e. Postmaster Set. Santa Set. <= anything that has a set requirement now also has a special "coded" exception to it.

Gray Items:
There are some really cool artwork designs on gray items. PLEASE consider allowing some gray items to have an exception. I love the faded "bone" plate mail pieces I've been seeing. There's no reason why I shouldn't use them. These "gray items" are NEVER seen. Give their artwork a chance to shine, please!

The Faded Bone Plate really makes me look like a ghost back from the dead to seek vengeance. I think it's an AWESOME look, but from my understanding it's BLOCKED because it "has no stats".

Legendaries:

I can understand your intent, Blizz - you don't want to see 10281908309284 demon hunter impersonators or 29084091853 hands of sulfuras.... but think about this: Nobody right now shows off their legendaries at all. They're hidden. They're in banks. People don't show them, period. You've basically insured nobody will use them. Is this your intent? Or is there some work around or solution you can have?

i.e. You can only show off a Legendary if you swap the image with a top rated Rare. For cataclysm it could be a crafted or dropped epic of 350 or 360 higher? Could that be a solution you'd accept?

Holiday Items:

Suggestion, make them transmogrifiable only on that particular holiday! A temporary transmogrification if you will.

Dungeon Set 0, .5 and DK Starter Set:

Make them vendor purchasable via Gold or JP.
Edited by Elineé on 8/18/2011 8:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Please let me know which of the solutions you support. If we all let blizzard know, they may listen to us, and our reasoning.

I separated each of the solutions into separate headings:

Solution 1

Solution 2

Solution 3

Gray Items

Legendaries

Holiday Items

Dungeon Set 0, .5 and DK Starter Set
Edited by Elineé on 8/18/2011 7:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If I were implementing this system this is how I would do it:

*Warriors and Paladins can equip mail and plate items because they used them before level 40.

*Shaman can equip mail and leather because again, used it before level 40.

*All other classes are bound to their armor class.

*The only weapon restrictions I would have would be 1h - 1h, 2h - 2h, as long as the attack animations match up. (No 2h swords morphed into staves)

* Helms are the exception to every rule. (It's fair game for warriors with cloth, etc)

*No holiday items.

*Greys and whites sold from vendors in major cities may be used.
Edited by Bethany on 8/18/2011 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
I would be fine with Solution 1 as long as the lower armor class items were below level 40.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
I want my warrior (fem tauren) to look like the guards in crossroads. Unfortunately that gear is not plate, so big frowny face =(
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Guys, I added another solution, one for the Holiday Items - allow them to be free for all TEMPORARY trasnmogrification only during THAT holiday. I think it'd be a good compromise without having 1000s of Santas running around in July. :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Grey and white named items should be able to be used.

You can buy that Runecloth set off of a vendor and it looks awesome.

There's a lot of grey named equipment that is never seen, as the OP said, because no one actually uses it. This would give it a reason to exist, other than vendor trash.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I agree that grey items should be included, I mean, why have them as ITEMS when they can just be gold or silver drops from creatures. If their artwork is in the game it should have a chance to be seen. Heck before the ALT boom in Classic Wow, we all wore greys until our first quest green a handful of levels into the game. No one had the gold that exists now.
Reply Quote
58 Goblin Death Knight
Here is my only "solution" or issue and you might have mentioned it but I'm lazy.

I don't think Dungeon 1- Tier 9 should be restricted. That's just my opinion. I honestly feel that if you want to great a dynamic and engaging system for players to really be expressing, they shouldn't be limited by their class. More so considering how many repaints are out there.

Now, I know that I feel this way very strongly because of my DK. However, when I first heard about this I instantly drooled over the idea of my Warlock in the old Priest T5 set. (The Angel wings one.) Or even my Mage for that matter.

I think it's a shame that the DKs out there really get the most limted selection possible and there isn't a way of fixing that unless they just open up the class restrictions. Which again, I honestly believe just gives more creative options to the players.

I think in a way I'm even more in support of this because it creates even more incentive to players to go do more old content and possibly take players who never experienced it to begin with. Might be dumb, but I could imagine there are many Shamans out there who would love to get their hands on some of the old hunter sets because they were more aggressive looking.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
some of them are actually interesting,
I really prefer Leathet armor sprites over Mail sprites on my hunter...
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
The only big change that needs to be made is to weapons.

It doesn't matter at all that a 1h axe can be changed to the appearance of a 1h sword. You're limiting options for people who are using current best in slot items. I.E. fury warriors use Obsidian Cleaver (a 1h axe). If you look throughout all expansions, 1h axes are few and far between and 9/10 of them do not have a good appearance. There should be no restrictions to 1h weapons.

Wielding a 1h sword and like a fist weapon appearance? Go for it. What if you're wielding a 2h sword and like the appearance of a polearm? Why not?

It makes no sense to restrict these things because as I said, it goes against the spirit of the entire idea by confining people to the base weapon type.

I also agree with the OP on the legendary weapon thing, and I'm sure you guys will see much more feedback on this as well. LET THE LEGENDARY WEAPONS BE SEEN! They just collect dust right now for everyone. Don't let it stay that way.

To clarify. Any 1 hander should be able to have the appearance of any other 1 hander, and any 2 hander the same.

Any "ranged" weapon should also be allowed to have the appearance of any ranged weapon also. Bow's, Crossbolts, Guns and yes ... even Thrown weapons. Emphasis being on thrown weapons since I've read the changes for bows and guns.
Edited by Lycas on 8/18/2011 8:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
You're missing the point on PVP. Almost all of the costumes and stuff have long cooldowns and/or go away when you die. Also, most of the costumes are simply not allowed in Arena or RBGs already.

A transmogrified item would be a permanent change in appearance.
Reply Quote
58 Goblin Death Knight
You're missing the point on PVP. Almost all of the costumes and stuff have long cooldowns and/or go away when you die. Also, most of the costumes are simply not allowed in Arena or RBGs already.

A transmogrified item would be a permanent change in appearance.

I'm not sure why this matters. perhaps it's because I'm one of those sensible people who recognizes arena as a joke. But I mean really? You guys already use addons which automatically highlight and target the healers.... what difference is not being able to easily detect their gear really going to do to you? What is the problem with just having to go in under the assumption that they have the best gear and forcing you to respond accordingly?

I guess this is probably off topic and all but it's getting old. If you want a damn epeen sport go play Counterstrike or something. turns out, that game is actually balanced.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Again, without going to grab the quote, Blizzzard has stated they will be starting with the conservative restrictions and slowly moving into removing these limitations.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
You know what, here's the quote

Kaivax
Community Manager

08/17/2011 09:59 AMPosted by Anarcanist
Time to farm my twill set again

This system is going to launch with fairly conservative rules, so that we can get it up and running as soon as possible and make fun improvements down the road. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that we’ll eventually allow transmogrification to use the twill set or [insert your favorite item here], but probably not for the initial launch of the feature.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
The system seems a bit overly thought to me at this point. I played LotRO for a long time and they had virtually no restrictions on their cosmetic item system. You could even "share" the wardrobe across the account with any items that were bound to your characters, potentially having a light-armor-wearing healer appear as if they were wearing heavy armor. If that was your thing, they allowed for it.

I don't know if that's something I'd want to do myself, but if it's all cosmetic, then what's the harm with complete freedom of choice? It affects actual gameplay 0% imo.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
You know what, here's the quote

Kaivax
Community Manager

08/17/2011 09:59 AMPosted by Anarcanist
Time to farm my twill set again

This system is going to launch with fairly conservative rules, so that we can get it up and running as soon as possible and make fun improvements down the road. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that we’ll eventually allow transmogrification to use the twill set or [insert your favorite item here], but probably not for the initial launch of the feature.

Thank you for providing this quote.

I do believe though that if we keep the discussion up, then we'll get it sooner than later, right? :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
The system seems a bit overly thought to me at this point. I played LotRO for a long time and they had virtually no restrictions on their cosmetic item system. You could even "share" the wardrobe across the account with any items that were bound to your characters, potentially having a light-armor-wearing healer appear as if they were wearing heavy armor. If that was your thing, they allowed for it.

I don't know if that's something I'd want to do myself, but if it's all cosmetic, then what's the harm with complete freedom of choice? It affects actual gameplay 0% imo.

I agree. But for now, let's try to get them to start off closer towards our desired implementation than further away.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]