Bring Oceanic Servers to Australia

85 Undead Priest
+1
90 Human Paladin
Please Blizzard, we will love you forever :(. Sooo many games do NOT have ANY Australian servers. If you took the chance and made on, it would prove to the world how great a company you are :D. Plus paying an extra 5 bucks wouldn't be any problem for us but would give you an extra million. Why not? What is there to lose?
84 Human Paladin
Oceanic player base should justify the expense.

Just get it done...

/signed
90 Worgen Druid
Lets see how long blizzard keeps the 5.1 information as a sticky on this forum.
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Support!

Sick of a constant +300 Ping!
90 Undead Hunter
Ok so I get that you want lower latency, but think about it logically.

Which servers would arena/bg's run on if on US you wouldn't really see any benefit of having Australian Servers. If Australians can only queue against Australians PVP queue's would be alot longer also the skill level of all the competitors would be alot lower.

PVE latency really doesn't affect your ability to raid correctly. Anything In PVE you can plan for ahead of time (DBM timers are fun). Over a fight you will lose 1 or 2 GCD over a 8 minute fight. So for they would invest it really would be wasted.

You can see in Dota 2 the Australian community is quite small at higher ratings (i.e. you would fight the same arena teams night after night)

So the major benefit of Australian servers would be seen in questing, 50MS during questing is important right?
85 Human Death Knight
league of legends is gonna have oceanic server in australia very soon, why cant blizzard to the same as riot? just pure laziness+lack of care for oceanic wow players
25 Human Mage
Even if they Moved a realm to the Oceanic Region, it would also subsequently bring over all the Players in China/Japan/Indonesia who speak english and there would be more Profit, I'm fed up with a constant 2.6k ms when my American friends get a solid 50ms all day, I hate it

This did this in SWTOR, and for those of us who use English and live in Asia the lag to AUS servers was double that of the west coast, even east coast servers came in better. So now the AUS servers for that game are ghost towns, (40 most at peak) people either re-rolled on west coast servers or came back to WOW.
90 Orc Shaman
The connection from northern asia to Sydney either runs via the US (often!) or down that horrible australia-japan cable that always seems to bounce around for an extra 50ms on either side of the connection without actually getting anywhere.
As such, pings are usually around like 300-500 to places like China. (ie double the latency of Japan->US)

Another possible solution would be putting Blizz Oceanic servers in Singapore.
Much cheap(er) data traffic and hosting costs.
Fast connection through all of south east asia and as far as India, China, etc.
Australian connection probably 100-150ms, depending on SEA-ME-WE3 traffic... but would probably drop to below 100ms when they switch on those new cables they are just finishing up this year.
90 Human Death Knight
Another possible solution would be putting Blizz Oceanic servers in Singapore.Much cheap(er) data traffic and hosting costs.

That would make more sense, but the way that Link between Australia and SEA has been acting the last couple of years "becoming horrible degraded/ Constantly getting cut) it would be like putting a bandage on a broken leg.
90 Human Hunter
+1
90 Tauren Paladin
Haha no responce, how typical.

I think it might be time to do something like change.org or twitter and facebook pages saying enough is enough.
We've got to start hounding Blizzard cause otherwise they just don't care.
If someone can start up something via change.org we need to get other aussie to back up and support this, we can get people posting via trade chats on our servers ect.

Well since blizzy is too lazy to try our ISP's again maybe WE should start asking them what could happen? Telstra, iinet, Optus, TPG, Internode, iPrimus, Westnet.. there is a lot of different companys that i'm sure that could do it.
Edited by Lambovok on 3/24/2013 9:02 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Unfortunately, Blizzard learnt a long time ago not to bother posting in these threads. Like, before WoW was released. And every day thereafter for what, 6 years?

Seriously. Maybe they were worth the effort back in 2006 (when telstra decided to try and rort by charging a premium amount), but Blizzard's stance on WoW is no longer "spend money to make money". Their stance is now "give them what they already have, wrapped in a different color" (see daily quests, PvP systems thought out by the work experience kid).

Just give up and enjoy what's left of the game that you can do with a 250ms ping.

Edit - missed a "
Edited by Pyrrhic on 3/25/2013 4:21 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Did you even read this thread before contributing oh, so profound wisdom?

I'm sorry, I must have missed the posts where you contributed more, but I'll address what concerns you have anyway. Yes, I did read the thread. The general nature of my post suggests that I did understand what's being discussed:
Blizzard learnt a long time ago not to bother posting in these threads.

I read the OP's post, and obviously I would love Australian servers and agree. My point was that the time for any movement on Blizzard's end is well past. Consider 'improvements' like CRZ, which was developed to deal with a declining population across existing servers. Does it make sense that a company investing in such measures would also invest in new infrastructure for a small percentage of their paying customer base?

Blizzard never spoke to Telstra.

Actually, there was early stage dialogue with Australian providers about servers here. Telstra, being a wholesale ISP (and largest infrastructure provider - see articles on Telstra's fibre optic bottle neck) for many smaller ISPs in Aus, charge a relatively expensive amount for their services (or, did that many years ago) thus passing this on to any business deal with any re-sellers.

Being the obvious argumentative genius you are, I'm sure you're aware of the Delimiter article on the subject (which quotes Blizzard executives), and have some excellent reason for blatantly falsifying facts for your own gain.
Edited by Pyrrhic on 3/26/2013 12:35 AM PDT
90 Human Warlock
http://delimiter.com.au/2010/07/23/blizzard-unlocks-us-starcraft-ii-servers-for-australians/

At the last minute, video game giant Blizzard Entertainment has reversed an unpopular decision to block Australians from being able to play its upcoming StarCraft II game on American servers. The company had been facing a wave of dissent from Australian players furious about its original decision to block local gamers from playing against their friends overseas by locking them into playing through a new server in Singapore set up to serve the South-East Asian region as a whole.

So they can set up an Oceanic server in Singapore for StarCraft, but not for WOW. I fiond it interesting that Blizz has said they cant put servers for WOW in Oceania at all..but hello, whats this?

While we still encourage gamers to play on the local servers, which will offer lower latency and more action during peak hours, we recognize that many players have longstanding friendships and rivalries with North American players, and would like to continue playing with them. Because of this, we’re giving Southeast Asia/Australia/New Zealand gamers access to both regions’ servers, so they can choose where they’d prefer to play.”
90 Human Death Knight
Ok so I get that you want lower latency, but think about it logically.

Which servers would arena/bg's run on if on US you wouldn't really see any benefit of having Australian Servers. If Australians can only queue against Australians PVP queue's would be alot longer also the skill level of all the competitors would be alot lower.

PVE latency really doesn't affect your ability to raid correctly. Anything In PVE you can plan for ahead of time (DBM timers are fun). Over a fight you will lose 1 or 2 GCD over a 8 minute fight. So for they would invest it really would be wasted.

You can see in Dota 2 the Australian community is quite small at higher ratings (i.e. you would fight the same arena teams night after night)

So the major benefit of Australian servers would be seen in questing, 50MS during questing is important right?

he is right man, but we may have fun with our oceanic BG or LFR . I believe oceanic only will make a great community
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]