Bring Oceanic Servers to Australia

79 Night Elf Hunter
I must agree here..
and yes i am Australian and know your pain.
85 Orc Death Knight
I somewhat doubt this is true, but I heard a rumour awhile back that Blizz were thinking of building servers in Singapore for Cataclysm. It didn't happen obviously, but it would be an amazing option if they did. Singapore servers are close enough that we would get easily under 150ms or so and it would be better for most of China and a lot of Asian countries too.

Hope to god Blizz actually read this and realise that there are more than a few hundred Aussie players who don't like having retarded connection speeds (makes my life on H Rag World in Flames an absolute c**t).

Also, @Mallekai, you do realise that if they constructed a data centre in Australia they would be able to build more than just WoW servers? There's going to be an Australian demand to play their new MMO when it's released, same with D3 and whatever else they pull out of their magical bag of tricks.
Edited by Actual on 10/14/2011 12:26 AM PDT
91 Troll Rogue
10/14/2011 12:24 AMPosted by Actual
There's going to be an Australian demand to play their new MMO when it's released, same with D3 and whatever else they pull out of their magical bag of tricks.

qft

I used to preach and jump and shout about this whole situation. Even if this thread does catch the eyes of an employee/forum mod - it wall probably fall on the deaf ears of Blizzard.

They know we want this, there are options available - but still I struggle as to why Blizzard doesn't see this oppurtunity as an INVESTMENT for them.
Or even if they were SEA servers. They have this Sc2! I don't understand why they don't exist for WoW.
85 Orc Mage
Now, you might think, “Why would subscribers spend that extra 5 dollars to play the game?” My answer is… They already do. Ping lowering services such as WoWtunnels, and Lowerping, are already there. BUT, these services really don’t do much, and aren’t designed to lower a 25man raid ping to American standard. A quick look at Lowerping shows they charge $8 dollars a month - So paying 5 dollars extra on a subscription would be cheaper than a ping lowering service.

Personally, as an almost 4 year subscriber, I'd pay double the current fee if I could have the relief of pressing a button and watching it go off without any waiting.

This raises a very good point many competitive raiders do use these services as they bring our latency down from 300-400 to closer too 200. Now if Blizzard were to move servers here and chanrge $5 more for the servers I would pay for the xfer and the increased sub to have a chance to not use latency as an excuse to call the night.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
10/04/2011 04:49 AMPosted by Ghundrith
So what is the word on the NBN? will that help things for us? Is anyone playing WoW on the NBN?

The NBN is a billion dollar Dullard boondoggle that is already outdated and obsolete technology. No one is playing WOW on the NBN because the NBN doesn't exist and will never work.

7 customers in Armidale.

180 customers in tasmania fibre network with 45% playing wow and other online games.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
bump for the reasons everyone else has given. Love this game, totally over the ping. bring servers to Aus ffs
90 Tauren Death Knight
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I just wish it would all catch the eyes of a blue. There's money to be made in all Australian server hosting. This thread is proof that people will pay extra for lower latency - I've read stories of people tearing up their floors to mess around with ports.

Even if Blizzard does have very little regard for the long-term subscriber, I can't understand how they don't see an actual oceanic server as a worthwhile investment. They'd make a lot of players happy AND make money. From a business perspective, it's a win-win.
Edited by Panoramic on 10/22/2011 7:46 AM PDT
Im from New Zealand and support this thread entierly. I would love to see a server close to Australia that I would get potentially better pings on.

I Suggest someone setting up a website and signing a petition ?
85 Worgen Rogue
I would have loved to see servers in Australia. Internode approached Blizzard about it and they wouldn't come to the party. Getting a bit late now.

Mind you it may just about be the end of WoW as we know it if you consider the revelations of the last 48 hours...
90 Blood Elf Priest
I would have loved to see servers in Australia. Internode approached Blizzard about it and they wouldn't come to the party. Getting a bit late now.

Mind you it may just about be the end of WoW as we know it if you consider the revelations of the last 48 hours...

Curious about the last bit. .. what happened in the last 48 hours that would greatly affect something like this from ever being implemented?

Ontopic ... Totally 100% agree ... I have a top of the range computer with the worst ping ever getting sick of it -.-
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I Was Wondering if blizzard can add a rp and rp/pvp realms into the oceanic servers?
96 Undead Mage
When it comes to giving anything to oceanic, the answer is no.
86 Tauren Paladin
the only way this will ever happen is if all oceanic player stops playing,
as long as they are making money from oceanic players they dont see it as a problem
85 Draenei Death Knight
all i want for xmas is a lower ping lol

also when will EBS do a sw run again it gets all boring without theguards running around like headless chooks and the players even more so
85 Tauren Priest
Within and hour of Brisbane and still waiting for adsl 2 here. Until then i will just make do with a conjested exchange that makes the game only playable at certain times of the day. Oh yeah, and maybe one day the council might even connect us to the sewerage line.
100 Night Elf Hunter
This is the economic reality: it doesn't matter how cheap an Australian server is to host, it will never be cheaper than a free Oceanic server - which is basically what every North American server is in Blizzard's eyes.

Imagine you have a worker in your factory who works during the day and the factory is at maximum capacity, you the owner, are tossing up building another factory to expand... very expensive - when your worker says 'Hey, my wife/husband will work for free for you at night!'. Oceanic players are the workers' partners who work for free at night...

Honey badger don't care about your latency while you are all still subscribing. You are working for free at night - slotting into American servers when they are at low popn - and Mr Kotick is laughing all the way to the bank.

Terrible latency and the naked contempt Blizz has for Oceanic players is one of the reasons I stopped playing in Feb, then finally cancelled. Now I am lured back (friends) maybe I'll resub, maybe not.
100 Human Warrior
I'm Australian. I play WoW. And I endorse this thread.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]