Bring Oceanic Servers to Australia

85 Orc Hunter
And now Star Wars has mobilized it's Australian servers, now Blizzard don't tell me it's not cost effective when a game as small as that somehow manages.
90 Goblin Priest
There are local wow servers in Taiwan, South Korea, China etc.

SWTOR has just opened its Melbourne servers ready for the mass transfer of aussie & kiwi players. This morning's ping was 40 ms. It might get higher once more locals get active.

Looks like SWTOR is hungry enough to do whatever it takes to steal aussie & kiwi subs from wow?
90 Pandaren Shaman

SWTOR has just opened its Melbourne servers ready for the mass transfer of aussie & kiwi players. This morning's ping was 40 ms. It might get higher once more locals get active.

Looks like SWTOR is hungry enough to do whatever it takes to steal aussie & kiwi subs from wow?

They only released 2 servers (ok 3 if you count RP) the pve one was full when I joined and the pvp was classed as heavy ... with that server load and raiding dragonsoul (dual screens FTW) in wow I was still getting 77ms ping in SWTOR.

But I agree there is simply no excuse, Blizzard has dropped the ball , been beaten by the new player in mmo's and simply dont care enough about Australian & NZ players to give us the same play experience as the rest of the world
85 Draenei Paladin
Im an Aussie player thats been playing WoW for about 6+ years now and really enjoy the game.
I used to try raiding, but with the bad latency would always die on many of the tactical boss fights (moving out of fires, avoiding bombs etc) which basically takes the fun out of raiding for me really.
It sucks, as i'd really like to see the content and lore contained in the raids, (as well as some of the loot!) but know that i'll always be the weakest link in the raid group.
I just feel like im missing out on a large part of the game, and always feel sub par to other players, as the only gear i am able to get is with justice/valor points.
The worst is that i felt like im letting other people down, and also gaining a bad reputation and not being invited to raids due to poor performance (which really isnt my fault, im moving out of fires as i see it on my screen, its the latency thats killing me).
At the moment, i enjoy other aspects of the game, mainly 5mans and levelling characters atm, and am very excited for Mists of Pandaria.

I just find it fascinating that a new competitor on the MMO market has provided so much in such a short time to Australian gamers. They have even emailed subs for feedback, and provided notifications of new developments. And have been very forthcoming with new releases and upcoming events. I feel like a valued customer to them.

I really hope someone from WoW reads this thread and issues a response. Their competition is gaining a foothold in the market, and unless they start doing something about it, they'll start losing subs.
85 Human Paladin
In 4.2, i made it easily through 6/7 Heroic, although sometimes almost dying on Heroic Domo due to latency, and the leap, i would almost always take 1-2 ticks. But when we got to Heroic Rag progression, the latency was really holding me back on searing seeds, i would be ahead of the group, but still be the only one to die, my internet is good, and my ms averages 190 / 240 , but i really would enjoy an AUS server :L
85 Goblin Rogue
I've been playing for 6 years and honestly have seen all my 22 friends slowly quit due to latency issues from both PvP and PvE. I've also given up on the game many times because of latency. I agree with everyone for this new Aussie server and I would be willing to pay MUCH extra as an incentive. I would be very surprised and happy if Blizzard did read this thread and actually gave us some information.

I'm currently playing SWTOR now and really enjoying the new Australian servers. I know of many people that would resub to WoW and pay extra for an actual Aussie server that SWTOR has produced. These guys seem to care much more for Oceanic player base.

If SWTOR can supply 3 REAL Aussie servers. Why can't Blizzard... I'm a freaking veteran player for gods sake. The money all my friends and I have spent on WoW is a massive amount and I know for sure this would be a good investment for Blizzard.

Edited by Lasthour on 3/2/2012 10:42 PM PST
83 Orc Warrior
03/02/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Lasthour
Blizzard are just lazy in my eyes and ignorant.
85 Gnome Priest

The SWTOR servers are actually based in Sydney. At launch, 1. General: on SWTOR was filled with people posting their latency. The lowest I saw was 11ms from a few Sydneysider's. I'm getting 20-30ms from Canberra to the SWTOR servers and comparing that to the 200-250ms I usually get in SWTOR and WoW on their west coast servers is night and day.

I was at Blizzcon last year and getting sub 50ms in WoW, on a 5 year old laptop, on Hotel internet was amazing. If only they released local Australian servers. Bioware's tactics worked. Even though I usually have 2 WoW accounts going at any one time, I've cancelled one, just because Bioware released local SWTOR servers.

People often talk about how Telstra were too expensive for Blizzard back in 2004 and that's the reason why there are no local WoW servers. But times have changed. It's over 7 years later and that excuse doesn't work anymore.
Edited by Krashnoheals on 3/3/2012 3:43 PM PST
85 Human Paladin
WoW, unfortunately is on the downward spiral - perhaps if negations with Telstra had been smoother it would be different, but to do this now would be false economy with the current subscription trend and now larger, MMO competition. I do feel your pain - even with ~190-200ms latency some game mechanics are simply not possible. SWTOR have implemented this within a couple of months of the release and with fantastic results with latency ranging from ~30-50ms.
85 Tauren Priest
03/03/2012 03:36 PMPosted by Krashnoheals
I usually have 2 WoW accounts going at any one time, I've cancelled one, just because Bioware released local SWTOR servers.

I will be doing the same once i get my copy of SWtOR from EB Games this week. I usually have 3 WoW accounts but will be sacrificing at least one in order to set-up a SWtOR account. Looking forward to playing a MMO with no lag :)
85 Goblin Rogue
I would pay many dollars for a server based in Australia. I wish we could at least have a trial for it, just to see how it went for them. If they advertised it, guaranteed more Oceanic players will resub.
90 Gnome Warlock
all this talk of latency is bringing back memories of my various attempts at the safety dance in naxx and failing due to lat. Also been playing swtor on aus servers and it is a dream at low ping =D
Horns Up!! \m/
Edited by Ungnome on 3/9/2012 6:42 PM PST
10 Undead Warlock
03/02/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Lasthour
I would be very surprised and happy if Blizzard did read this thread and actually gave us some information.

They don't read the Oceanic forum nor do they pay any attention to their Oceanic customers. Daxxarri seems to read here once a month and I wouldn't be surprised if he avoided these threads just like Blizzard as a whole seems to selectively avoid the topic.

Bioware and EA have really shown us just how poorly Blizzard have treated us this entire time.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I have to add my support to this thread. I am an Australian gamer, and as Aussies have been practically discriminated against by developers in the gaming community, due to distance and population, its pretty bad that Blizzard have not got Oceanic servers based in Australia, and its certainly not good if they ignore the oceanic players. And here I was, thinking that Blizzard actually listened to the wow community... obviously they only listen to the US.
90 Human Warrior
Aussie gamer showing support. Wish this would actually happen, OP summed the situation up great.
85 Troll Hunter
Been playing the new star wars mmo on our servers with 23ms its GREAT thanks for nothing blizzard.
1 Orc Mage
/Agree

Blizzard; Heed our Call! Australians want decent servers, a segment of your consumer base feels neglected and competitors recognize this and are capitalising on YOUR lack of response to a consumer need/want. There are reasons why you are losing subs, and perhaps if your game was not disadvantaging 500,000 players then perhaps you might not have dropped 500, 000 subscribers.

- Not trying to troll, simply trying to garner response from a blue to this issue and have acknowledgement that Blizzard is going to improve or make a change - what business doesn't want to strive for greater improvements / success?

To Australians - perhaps we should start a bit of a petition?
6 Tauren Paladin
http://www.swtor.com/weekendpass
90 Undead Rogue
I'd pay. When I found out WAR had an Aussie server I dropped WoW instantly. Just like I will for GW2 if they offer a better ping.
90 Human Mage
+1 Aussie WoW servers.

Get with the times Blizzard.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]