Bring Oceanic Servers to Australia

81 Goblin Shaman
I thought the reason they didn't was because Money Hungry Inc I mean Telstra were going to bleed them. Compared to other countries our data is EXPENSIVE which I hope the NBN resolves.

Even so with the loss of subs and the cutting of jobs the last thing I think Activision is going to do is pay a buttload of cash for a QoL issue that won't even necessarily get them more money in the end. I strongly doubt local servers would increase subs which is exactly why they will never.

It's just not a sound business move.

Edit: Lol Activision not EA.
Edited by Wørldbreaker on 3/16/2012 12:38 AM PDT
6 Tauren Paladin
I thought the reason they didn't was because Money Hungry Inc I mean Telstra were going to bleed them. Compared to other countries our data is EXPENSIVE which I hope the NBN resolves.

Even so with the loss of subs and the cutting of jobs the last thing I think Activision is going to do is pay a buttload of cash for a QoL issue that won't even necessarily get them more money in the end. I strongly doubt local servers would increase subs which is exactly why they will never.

It's just not a sound business move.

Edit: Lol Activision not EA.

The topic of Telstra is pure fiction. Never happened. Even Internode tried to sort servers out, but Blizzard weren't interested.
From Blizzards point of view, the customer base simply isn't big enough.
90 Worgen Warrior
look there are MMO's out there with no where near the amount of players let alone from Asian pacific region that have put up a few server's in this region and it's great top ping i usually get is 95 XD i love it and it's true, with our bad pings it make raiding that little bit harder than it should be :(
90 Dwarf Hunter
The topic of Telstra is pure fiction. Never happened. Even Internode tried to sort servers out, but Blizzard weren't interested.
From Blizzards point of view, the customer base simply isn't big enough.

That being said hopefully the NBN will speed up Australia's overdue emergence into the IT world and make things viable for Blizzard and other companies.
85 Tauren Druid
Unfortunately this has been asked about since vanilla and will never happen.

It would be much better to play at 50ping or less, than the 200 I get right now.

But deal with the fact you will always have to pre-empt what the battle will entail.
Fluctulate:
Unfortunately this has been asked about since vanilla and will never happen.

True, but how much stuff has Blizz done u-turn/backflip since Wrath of the Casual-Friendly King?

I do suspect player base is the reason why not- Us Aussies are silly enough to play with 200-300ms on American servers, how many of them would play with that kind of lag to be on Australian servers?
90 Dwarf Hunter
03/23/2012 07:57 PMPosted by Athenaeum
I do suspect player base is the reason why not- Us Aussies are silly enough to play with 200-300ms on American servers, how many of them would play with that kind of lag to be on Australian servers?
'Player base has never been the issue. We have enough to support 2-3 realms without US players. It all comes down to time and money with implementing these new systems in Australia. Blizzard at the moment is simply not interested.
54 Blood Elf Mage
It's not Blizzard's fault It's Telstra's fault for not letting them, apparently Blizzard need x amount of bandwidth or something and Telstra won't allow it.

Don't like it, take it up with Telstra.
I think there are two many half-truths floating around with why and why not to really be pointing fingers. AND lets be 100% honest, if a definite 'this person/company said no and poo-poo'd thea deal' was actually found, would it really make any difference?

@ Gasidinn; Mmmm I didn't really think that there are that many players. But I did have a look at warcraftrealms.com and from that your assertion is probly reasonable.

To put on a tin foil hat that implies somewhere from 1,500 to 2,200 (or as a percentage 0.00015% to 0.00022%) players are australian based. Assuming this is reasonable that would only give them around 15-22k p/m to pay for everything they needed (this figure is less a minimium +30% contribution to Head Office)

I still don't think that is very much cash to pay for for hardware/bandwith/technical people/lots of other IT stuff I have never heard about.
85 Night Elf Hunter
Let's face it, if blizzard cared they would of done it years ago. They certainly won't do it with activision driving.
90 Worgen Mage
To put on a tin foil hat that implies somewhere from 1,500 to 2,200 (or as a percentage 0.00015% to 0.00022%) players are australian based. Assuming this is reasonable that would only give them around 15-22k p/m to pay for everything they needed (this figure is less a minimium +30% contribution to Head Office)

Ignorant, arrogant American is ignorant, arrogant, and ill educated.

2200 players? Try close to 1.5 MILLION. Or more.

Sales of WOW in this city (Sydney) alone were well over 300,000 boxed copies in the first week, and no estimate on digital purchases since Cata launch. Pre orders were in the magnitude of at least 30,000 just on the day Cata was announced. I spoke to one games store that advised me they had had over a thousand calls in the first DAY nationwide.

We DO have them here, you know. Games stores? Computers?

Population of this country is close to 22 MILLION.

And that doesnt even begin to address the current players who were already subscribed from vanilla days.

Then again, what can we expect from someone who has no idea what the rest of the world is anyway, and has never set foot outside the US.
Edited by Zhenogre on 4/3/2012 3:41 PM PDT
90 Worgen Mage
It's not Blizzard's fault It's Telstra's fault for not letting them, apparently Blizzard need x amount of bandwidth or something and Telstra won't allow it.

Thats funny , SWTOR is using servers hosted with Testra now. Oops.
85 Undead Warrior
04/02/2012 04:48 AMPosted by Warshan
Let's face it, if blizzard cared they would of done it years ago. They certainly won't do it with activision driving.

They did do it years ago, and the costs were too much for the company so they had to scrap them.
90 Worgen Mage
They did do it years ago, and the costs were too much for the company so they had to scrap them.

03/25/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Athenaeum
To put on a tin foil hat that implies somewhere from 1,500 to 2,200

I lined up for the BC release in Brisbane in Queensland and the crowd was massive. i would estimate there was probably 2000 or more people at that one game shop, there would be 20 or more game shops around brisbane and suburbs alone all doing midnight releases.

I would guess you do not live in Australia or your source of information is Sooooo Wrong.

I wonder if it would infact be a good business move for Blizzard to give us an idea on their thoughts of the matter, rather than just read speculation from players that really have no idea of the situation.
90 Undead Rogue
We need Australian servers
90 Human Warlock

This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]