Transmogrify and Void Storage Requests

(Locked)

100 Human Paladin
my proposal:
can we, as a community, refer to Transmogrification as "Mog-ing" its easier to say and that way we are consistent in what its refered to

see, say it with me. Mog, Moging, Moged

Type MOG in your post if you agree!

I would prefer mog, mogging, and mogged. At least, that's how English seems to work in my brain.
100 Night Elf Hunter
I think the other reason for making it so that gear loses gems, enchants and reforges... is simply to keep people from using the Void storage as a Bank.
It is not suppost to be used as a Bank storage. This is a long term, put your stuff away, and forget you have it.

To be honest who cares why people want to use it?

It just seems like much of what Blizzard does lately they take a good idea and make it bad in how they implement it.

As it currently is being allowed to be used this seems like another waste of resources that would have been better served in another area.

100 Night Elf Hunter
Could we opt to NOT show gear with this feature? For example, if I'm going for a certain look and shoulder graphics look clunky on it, can I turn off shoulder graphics altogether while maintaining the stats of the shoulders I have equipped?
100 Night Elf Hunter
08/18/2011 11:56 AMPosted by Xanzul

Let's be generous here.
1kb or 1024 bytes per item. That stores the item id, the reforging, gemming and enchanting. Honestly if you can't squeeze that info into 1kb, I'd be surprised.
~11 million subscribers. 50 characters maximum per account.
550 million characters. Maximum. I'm being overly generous here in terms of storage requirements.

550m * 1024 bytes per item is approximately 525 gigabytes of data. That's to store one item per character.

Let there be 80 slots of storage, that's just under 41 terabytes of data storage.

You're telling me that at 11m*$13= US$143M MINIMUM you can't afford 41 hard drives?

Cheap jerks.

Stop. Just stop it. You don't work for Blizzard and you have absolutely not one damn clue how their systems work and what the ramifications of these changes mean for system performance. If Blizzard says this will put a strain on their system there is no reason to assume they are lying because they have absolutely not one single reason to lie about it.

A good company finds innovative ways to create solutions and bad ones keeps telling you what they can not do.
100 Blood Elf Priest
Will the transmogrifier 'know' what's in void storage or are we going to have to rip items out to apply them to a transmogrified item?
Edited by Winkithia on 8/18/2011 12:12 PM PDT
85 Human Warlock

Stop. Just stop it. You don't work for Blizzard and you have absolutely not one damn clue how their systems work and what the ramifications of these changes mean for system performance. If Blizzard says this will put a strain on their system there is no reason to assume they are lying because they have absolutely not one single reason to lie about it.

A good company finds innovative ways to create solutions and bad ones keeps telling you what they can not do.

Again, people outside of blizzard and not familiar with THEIR tech probably are less likely to understand what innovation is possible given their system. They can probably think of many very creative solutions, but the right one generally becomes a balance of speed/cost/features. If they are giving you the same features, in a quicker amount of time, for a lower amount of cost on their end, surprise, they will probably choose that route. Nit picking that you can't keep your gems/enchants on gear that most of the time isn't your actual raid set, is inane, and does not show a lack of "innovation".

Or just keep making assumptions that YOU know more about Blizzard's job than they do. Whatever works.

Realistic companies deal with what they have and try to work around technical limitations. Which is exactly what Void Storage sounds like.
85 Draenei Mage
When doing database development disk space is not your consideration. Disk space is cheap. The problem is the size of the data table, and how that affects performance. I'm going to use some SQL Server parlance here, because I do not know what backend Blizzard is using (likely Orcale but who knows).

A database stores data in chunks, referred to as pages. The size of the chunks will vary from vendor to vendor. For SQL it is 8k. Whenever you access data, a page is pulled from memory if it cached, or disk if it is not. The number of pages that make up the table directly affects how fast you can access it.

Now, take the example 1024 bytes per row. That is a little under 7 rows per page. Take Blizzard's approach. If they use a lookup table with a character ID and an item ID (seems the most likely approach) that is 124 bytes. Less if they use unsigned 32-bit integer values.

The smaller they keep the rows, the more rows they can fit per data page, which means fewer page reads to fetch the data. It could also mean -- with a sufficiently beefy server -- that most if not all of the data could remain in memory. This is critical, as accessing data in RAM is hundreds if not thousands of times faster than accessing it from disk.

Now, you could index the table, likely clustered on the character ID. But if you have 1024 bytes of data then you start to get frequent page splits. Page splits murder performance. The more rows you can stick in a page, the less likely it will be to split, and the faster read/write operations will perform.

So yeah, sounds easy, but trust me, it ain't. Especially considering this is a game, and any kind of response time greater than one to two seconds is going to be considered a fail.
Edited by Arcana on 8/18/2011 12:22 PM PDT
66 Night Elf Hunter
I hope you'll reconsider the enchant/gem stripping thing. I realize if you're talking item IDs, one piece of gear could take up 4-5 times as much storage space (one spell ID for each gem, one for the enchant, etc), but I really think it's worth it.

Like others have mentioned, it gives the gear a real authentic feel. I have a lot more pride displaying my TBC epics with epic gems and appropriate enchants than I would if I was just wearing unsocketed pieces.. even though people will be seeing my current gear.

Lastly, I recall a similar 'storage issue' with the new hunter stable, where stabled pets had their talents wiped every time. I note that this is no longer the case though. I hope you can reconsider this for similar reasons.

I hope I can at least store trinkets and tabards in Void Storage. At the very least that would free up a couple bag slots in my bank even if I skip the enchanted gear.
100 Draenei Priest
I think the void Storage and transmog thing is a totally useless idea. If they want to give us MORE space why not give us purchasable pages in our own personal banks? Like guild bank tabs are done, people wouldn't feel the need to make bs bank guilds, where they can have their own banks and keep items there.

All this void-storage thing will do will be encouraging people to purchase gold JUST so they can have slots, the economies in the game are already messed up (50k for something?) So unless you spend HOURS farming and selling things for obsurd prices then this is one of the worst money sink ideas that Blizz can come up with.

38 Draenei Shaman
Did any of you read the part of where it said the prices listed are not final? Just suggestions? So until it actually drops you have no true way of knowing how much of a gold drain it will be. Also, gold is really easy to get now, 100g is nothing to obtain compared to that of say BC.

I for one will not be using this service simply because it is a waste for me. And as with all other in game services that require you to pay gold to use them, you DO NOT have to partake of said services. It isn't like Blizzard is saying, "Hey guys, we're going to make you pay for bank services."

This service is for people who want to save stuff that they are afraid of losing and have utilized all of their bank space or an alt's bank space. My suggestion is to let it ride, see what it is before you strat lighting torches and forming mobs over something as trivial as bank space.
100 Undead Priest

A good company tells you up front what it's limitations are, a bad one tells you they have an innovative solution for your problem.
85 Tauren Warrior
08/17/2011 07:45 PMPosted by Normie
Throw in enchants, gems, and reforging though, and you have a lot more data that has to be stored.

It's hard to take "more data that has to be stored" seriously as a reason when I get almost 10GB of high-availability indexed storage for free from Google, and get a bill for 7 cents per month for several hundred megabytes of very high availability, high redundancy, ultra-high bandwidth distributed storage on AWS.

BAWAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

omfg awahudhnawpdna

laughed till I cried.
85 Night Elf Warrior
Request:

Blizzard, please tag some items as "RP" and allow said items to ignore the "same armor type" restriction.

The items that spring to mind for this is Ragefury Eyepatch, Cursed Vision of Sargeras, etc. In fact, helms in general should get the ranged slot treatment. There's some cowls and such that I think would be awesome to wear, but I can't because they're cloth and I wear plate.

Defias Mask, Blood Elf Bandit Mask, etc etc.
Edited by Charsi on 8/18/2011 12:31 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]