Transmogrify and Void Storage Requests

(Locked)

85 Night Elf Warrior
08/18/2011 04:15 PMPosted by Feredir
Because of course you know more about data storage than Blizz programmers.

There may be some skilled database or IT veterans lurking on this forum, so yes someone might be able to tell how feasible it is. But even then it wont get us anywhere.

Topic 1: Weapon class and transmogrification

Since you guys allowing guns, bows, and crossbows to share models, would it be possible to make axes share models with Polearms? I've been a huge fan of the polearm models/animation since vanilla WoW and rarely had the pleasure of being able to use it as a Warrior because of their rarity and now with polearms always having the Agi stat makes it impossible to aquire one and have a good gameplay performance.

So if you guys can give a little halp I have a Grand Marshal's Glaive that would be pretty happy.
(I'm sure some Pig Stickers would be similarly happy too.)

Topic 2: Trasmogrification price and UI

Obviously the WoW crew looked into Rift's way of customizing gear appearance, players have 2 gear tabs one that works for stats and one for looks blizzard could use a similar system. And charge the classic 5k gold fee for activating the feature instead of charging for every swap we do.
Edited by Chido on 8/18/2011 4:49 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Okay, some quick questions/concerns, and sorry if they've already been answered... I almost feel like creating a new thread just to make sure they're seen, but for now:

1. Cloth helmets - There are a lot of helmets in the game that are actually classified as cloth items, in order to make them usable by all players. For example, Blood Elf Bandit Mask, Bloodsail Admiral's Hat, and Lord Walden's Top Hat, plus various goggles, monocles, and fishing hats.

Is something going to be done with these to facilitate their use in Transmogrification?

2. Shirts - There are a ton of shirts in the game, many of which are pretty cool looking. However, they're always covered up by whatever you're wearing on your Chest slot.

Is there any possibility that you'll be able to transmogrify chest items to look like shirts? This leads me to my next point...

3. View Shoulder / View Chest - I know that shoulder pads are a huge part of WoW. They're basically trophies. However, they do sometimes clash with your ensemble, especially if you're going for certain specific looks.

In my opinion, the ideal situation would be that our "View Helmet" and "View Cloak" toggles would be accompanied by "View Left Shoulder", "View Right Shoulder", and "View Chest" toggles. Maybe even throw in "View Gloves" and "View Tabard" while you're at it, and integrate all the options into your character pane or the Transmogrification window for ease of access.

This would give players a ton of customization for their individual character's look. You'd be able to show off your fancy shirts or six-pack abs, or get that really cool asymetrical look with your shoulder pads, opt for showing off just your bracers instead of your gloves, and keep improving your guild reputation even if your guild tabard clashes with your other armor.

NPCs already have these options, and there are some really cool-looking NPCs as a result.

4. Deleted / Unobtainable Gear - I don't exactly want a method to recover deleted gear, but rather a method to reaccquire unique-looking quest rewards and drops that players may have deleted over the years, as these may no longer be obtainable if the quest is flagged as complete or because they've been completely removed.

And, before I get into this, I want to make it clear that I'm talking about gear pieces that look like level 1-60 greens or blues, not purples from endgame raids.

My primary suggestion is to overhaul the existing weapon and armor vendors in every city, stocking them up with various new white items for use with Transmogrification. Different weapon and armor vendors could store different gear, making it a matter of traveling around various cities to find cool-looking armor.

You could get even more interesting than that, by offering armor that is identifiable with the different classes or races. Pirate stuff in Booty Bay, undead stuff in Undercity, druid stuff in Moonglade, death knight stuff in Acherus, rogue stuff in a rogue's guild, Gilnean stuff at the Howling Oak... you get the idea. They could even have stuff that's restricted based on class or that requires exalted reputation with whatever faction.

You could also increase the amount of gear that can be created by crafters, even if the gear is only intended for cosmetic uses.

There are also a some gear sets that have been removed from the game as a result of changes to instances or quests, such as the old Dungeon tier set pieces. Blizzard should probably come up with a way to re-implement those... though I wouldn't necessarily mind being one of the few running around in full Deathmist Raiment.

5. Void Storage costs - A more minor concern; if Void Storage is meant to facilitate Transmogrification, the costs are going to need to drop a bit from what's shown in the preview. If I'm going to have to spend a couple thousand gold to move old armor back and forth to transmogrify every new piece of gear I get, which already has an associated fee, that's going to add up really quickly.

Will our "cosmetic" gear occupy a unique inventory slot in the Transmogrification window, allowing it to continue overriding out current gear even if we get a new piece?

I also believe that Void Storage should probably be readily available to players starting around level 60, so I'd suggest pricing it accordingly.
Edited by Malderas on 8/18/2011 5:18 PM PDT
1 Troll Rogue
I am SUPER excited about the new Transmogrifying feature, however, I do have one question I would like awnsered that I have not been able to find the awnser to: Will it require you to own an item to Transmogrify another item to look like that? (Ex. Would you have to own T6 in order to Transmogrify your current gear to look like T6?) I can't find any definitive awnsers in any blog/blue posts.
85 Undead Mage
Will pvp gear be eligble to be transmogrified?
90 Blood Elf Warlock
08/18/2011 05:11 PMPosted by Trollololol
I am SUPER excited about the new Transmogrifying feature, however, I do have one question I would like awnsered that I have not been able to find the awnser to: Will it require you to own an item to Transmogrify another item to look like that? (Ex. Would you have to own T6 in order to Transmogrify your current gear to look like T6?) I can't find any definitive awnsers in any blog/blue posts.

Yes, you need to own the gear you want your items to look like, and using them for Transmogrification purposes will also make them soulbound. So if you want your T11 to look like T2, you need to go out and obtain T2.

You didn't just think that you'd somehow be able to select from a list of any armor in the game, did you?
85 Night Elf Mage
SPG
It's hard to take "more data that has to be stored" seriously as a reason when I get almost 10GB of high-availability indexed storage for free from Google, and get a bill for 7 cents per month for several hundred megabytes of very high availability, high redundancy, ultra-high bandwidth distributed storage on AWS.

Seriously this doesn't even begin to pass the laugh test. If this is a reason that people use as an excuse in development meetings you need to hire some engineers who've worked in the 21st century.

I totally agree with this...

...Until I realized that 10 million + people play this game, in addition to guild bank storage and alt bank storage.

Yikes.

On a side note, Blues, how will enchants work with mogging? Will the enchant on our "stat" weapon appear on our mogged weapon?
Community Manager
08/18/2011 04:38 PMPosted by Honeyrider
when we copy the looks of a weapon onto another wep, will it copy enchant looks too?

Under current rules? No. Right now, if you transmogrify an item, the enchant that will display will be the one on the equipped item.
85 Night Elf Mage
SPG
08/18/2011 05:25 PMPosted by Lylirra
Under current rules? No. Right now, if you transmogrify an item, the enchant that will display will be the one on the equipped item.

YES!

Spellfire Longsword with Power Torrent, here I come!
6 Gnome Mage
08/18/2011 05:28 PMPosted by Meikos

YES!

Spellfire Longsword with Power Torrent, here I come!
rip my spellfire longsword with fiery :(
85 Goblin Mage
I'm curious if we will be able to change the appearance of BOA items, it would be nice to still gain our exp. boost and not look the same from 1-80.
90 Night Elf Hunter
One thing that does heavily disappoint me, and I doubt I'm alone here, is that the restrictions block Paladins from using such an iconic set as the Scarlet Crusade pieces simply because they are mail items. :(

I spent a good deal of time farming those items, including the Scarlet Tabard, and it appears that it cannot be used at all.

As of now, only hunters and shamans can utilize those pieces in the transmogrification system. And I'm honestly not sure how many of those classes would bother, or want to do so.
80 Orc Warrior
Well looks like my legendarys are staying in my bank taking up space cause who is going to want to PAY to have my gems/enchants removed woo.
i love how every time im looking forward to play the ptr it is closed lol... Just my luck. How long has it been closed now just got back from movies.. Rise of the planet of the apes= beast movie. No wonder it got 4 stars....... Wait this is a world of warcraft forum why am i talking about movies?
Community Manager
I wouldn't say it's our current game plan. The prices for unlocking a Void Storage vault, depositing items, and withdrawing items are all still under discussion, so there's definitely a possibility that one or all of them may change before patch 4.3 is released.

08/18/2011 10:28 AMPosted by Itsmurda
Also, I know you mentioned that the costs are not final, but is the current game plan to be 1k activation and 100g for every item deposited or withdrawn? That seems to be what is indicated in the screenshots.
85 Human Warlock
will we have more hide options in the interface like:

-hide belt

-hide tabard

-hide shoulders (maybe)

hoping for hide belt option just so when i wear my black mageweave set it will be more revealing when i hide tabard and belt

/wink

/wink

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Are the restrictions about not allowing the player to change weapon types (ex. 1h axe -> 1h sword) set in stone?

I can understand not allowing 1h to 2h or not letting the player change to a weapon type they can't equip, but not allowing weapon type change at all doesnt make much sense, especially if ranged weapons can be changed between all types.
85 Human Paladin
1. New Tiers??? I hope this is not a excuse to add even more re-skins ,re-colors ,re-renders...I don't see any need to ever re-use graphics, it is lazy. PERIOD.
2. How about some real functionality such as; e.g. a pop-up menu would ask you if you would like to keep the set bonus when you equip a old tier item or other item with bonus abilities (just adjust the way op and useless functions) pull that set-bonus and art from the old gear item and transmogrify it onto your current stats. Useful instead of the usual gimmick. "This could also allow High-Level players who have earned those Legendary's the feeling of a bit more power as deserved having achieved something so rare."
3. Armor Type Restrictions? This is gonna be a major topic...you need to add a new category to the armor types - common, day wear, non-battle gear (e.g. Fishing Hat, Purple Dress, Tux) - having a dwarf dark iron looking warrior tank Rag in a white wedding dress is pushing it (funny)...Having a PVP Holy Pally equip T1 Magister's, CONFUSING ?!? IMHO, keep classes in armor specific gear, while allowing for "Day Wear".

- Thanks to anyone who reads, proof-reads, and suggest or trolls this post. - Peace out!

-P.S. - with Raid Finder coming out also I feel this game is now way more advanced than any other competitive MMORPG, albeit the game really needs a a major revival to server communities; work toward this; autonomous faction balancing servers [a system that keeps the Faction balanced at near 50%/50% at very high capacity. 24/7 ] (this would be optimal), expand world PvP (you said at Blizzcon you wanted the Horde and Ally to hate each other again...not happening ATM, (benefits and objectives in almost every zone, "Why can't I steal the gold from Goldshire?" pvp-zones with unique and rewarding objectives, longer lasting world effects e.g. actual construction of forts by opposition in controlled territory or pillaging of area's e.g. Horde rob and sabotage the Goldshire mine, which opens up a ally daily to restore it to function.
85 Night Elf Rogue

So, in order for us to use gear for an appearance tab we HAVE to spend 1000g to put stuff into the void storage so we can use it?

Nope. You don't need to place an item into Void Storage in order to use it for Transmogrification. The two systems are completely separate.

We're implementing Void Storage and Transmogrification at the same time because we know that, with Transmogrification, players are likely going to want and/or need more storage space, specifically for the long-term. And that’s the niche Void Storage fills. Just because one system (Void Storage) was designed to complement another (Transmogrification), that doesn't mean the two rely on each other functionally. :)

Sorry for the confusion, though! We’re looking to share more of the rules and restrictions surrounding Transmogrification as soon as possible.

Apologies if this has been answered previously.

'Void-Storage' is character specific (ie, only items that belong to a particular character), is 'Transmogrification' likely to also fall under this same category?

Example:
I have a full set of Paladin Tier 2 (Judgement Armor) on my Rogue.
Will I have to re-obtain all these items (full set) on my Paladin before I can use it for them transmogrification?
1 Troll Rogue
Yes, you need to own the gear you want your items to look like, and using them for Transmogrification purposes will also make them soulbound. So if you want your T11 to look like T2, you need to go out and obtain T2.

You didn't just think that you'd somehow be able to select from a list of any armor in the game, did you?

Honestly, yeah I did. Think about it: If you already have the item, then you could just equip it. Now, most people will present the arguement: "But you can wear the item while you are in dungeons/raids!" To which I say: Do you ACTUALLY spent time in raids staring at your character and thinking "Wow, my armour is so pretty/ugly, I wish I could change it"?

Plus, I have already sold all my gear from previous expansions that I might actually use, how am I supposed to get Wrath gear back? It isn't soloable, and it would probably take weeks to get it all back again.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]