Transmogrify and Void Storage Requests

(Locked)

90 Pandaren Mage
08/17/2011 08:03 PMPosted by Normie
Also, your comparison to Google's services is just for you, one person. Blizzard has millions of accounts to make this for. 10 gigabytes times 11 million is 104 petabytes of storage. Yikes.

And that's less than what Google gives away in exchange for people ignoring a few ads on the right side of their mail client.

"Too much space"/"Slows down database" is not the reason. When you're talking about a few million items in inventory on a server, that's something a $500 PC could handle now.

Play balance is a perfectly fine reason though.

That's silly.

You are aware that Google isn't actually giving away as much space as they say, right? It's not that any one person can't use all the data Google is offering, but that 99.98% of people just don't. Google knows that, which is why they can give everyone 5-10GB of email storage for free. I've had a gmail account since day 1 of private invites and I've still only used about 400 megs of space, if that, and I'm a heavy emailer. It's also worth noting that ads work. You or me may not click on them but enough people do to support leeches like us.

To be honest, I have to wonder what sort of DB work you do, since you take the large volume nature of world of warcrafts database so lightly for something that needs to be very efficient and redundant.
100 Human Warrior
I like the idea of void storage, I'm cool with the removal of everything from items, I'm even cool with paying to unlock it, but a 200 gold round trip for an item that vendors for 3 gold is absurd, some of us hardcore collectors have full 26 slot bags (I dont but I'm working towards it) and they're still almost completely full. I like the ability to put stuff away in different "bank" I wont use as much, but the 100g both ways requirement is a bit ridiculous.
100 Dwarf Warrior
As Zarhym mentioned earlier, our Void Storage preview is now up!

<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3342240">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3342240</a>

If you have any questions or feedback about this feature, please feel free to post here or in the blog itself. We'll do our best to follow-up on your inquiries and address any concerns you may have. Just keep in mind that Void Storage is still under development, so many details -- including cost and what items are restricted -- may not be finalized and could change before patch 4.3 is released.

We'll qualify and clarify as much as can as best we can, though, so ask away. :)

Tabards are not considered gear, right? So we can't store Tabards in Void Storage?

Right now, we're looking at allowing tabards to be stored in Void Storage vaults. That may change as testing continues, of course, and depending on the feedback we receive from you (our players).

Really excited to hear about the tabards being included, so hopefully you guys stick with that! Could you comment on other soulbound items that are not equippable? For instance, Romantic Picnic Baskets and things of that sort, will they be able to be placed in void storage?

Also, I know you mentioned that the costs are not final, but is the current game plan to be 1k activation and 100g for every item deposited or withdrawn? That seems to be what is indicated in the screenshots.

Thanks so much, looking forward to this either way!
85 Night Elf Warrior
I can see it getting very irritating, visiting the appearance guy and paying a bit of gold each time I upgrade a prominent item slot :(

You mean like reforging, enchants and gems? Especially since this is just a visual thing, I have no problems repaying every time i upgrade a piece of gear.

Yes, I already do that per piece of gear. I'd like to not ALSO have to visit the transmogrifier on top of that.

Also, if you have multiple item sets...

Additional question:

Do you forsee a problem with me wearing one of the outlands off-set armor that looks like another classes vanilla tier 1/2 set?

ie, you can get a green colored tier 2 warrior, or a purple colored tier 2 paladin on any plate wearing class..
Edited by Charsi on 8/18/2011 10:31 AM PDT
"Blizzard I demand an answer!"

*Question answered*

"YOU LIE!!!11"

Stop acting like you know how Blizzards DBs, servers, or storage work. You obviously don't.
@Lylirra

My biggest question currently is, are we going to need own the gear we'd like to change our gear into, i.e, I'd like to change everything back to T6, I love the T6 models to death, but I deleted my set in favor of holding onto 2 sets of T8 (hardcore Ulduar fanboi). Am I going to need to refarm BT/Hyjal/Sunwell in order to get my favorite set back, I'm going to assume this is a yes, but even so I haven't seen anything in the way of a yes or no on this. Help me if I just completely missed it as well.

Thanks guys, this feature's really freakin cool!
90 Human Paladin
Horders unite!

REQUEST: Please tack on the fee to item retrieval. If the fee is on putting items into the bank, users are looking at a hefty down payment (1,000g to unlock, then for me well over 7,000g for all my tier, RP and tanking gear) to use the service.

It also allows low level characters to store those awesome quest rewards and then retrieve them at a later time when they are 85 with gold to burn. This is especially true of 1st time players who won't have a Main to support them.
Very very simple.

Simply use the new feature or don't use it.

And as for being a hoarder, I might qualify for that distinction. At one point in this game I had 4 personal guild banks now just down to 2. So I know a thing or two about stocking up.

I won't be using it unless they downgrade the price and let us keep the enchants, gems and such. Which they probably won't do the latter or the former so I won't be using it. It will be nice to walk up and look at.

And I am sorry but the transmorgwhatever is just silly.
Community Manager
Void Storage vaults will be per-character and not per-account, so it won't be a way for players to trade BoA items cross-realm. While that's still something we want players to be able to do, we've several technological hurdles to overcome before we can make that type of service available.

Hello, Zarhym,
I see no reason why, but I keep seeing people speculating into wether or not BoA's will be retrievable cross-realm-wide trough Void Storage.
Althought I would love that was true, all info given leads us towards believing Void Storage is character specific, and thus having no use into sending any items to other toons - not even toons on the same realm/faction. #amiright?
Edited by Lylirra on 8/18/2011 4:09 PM PDT
100 Dwarf Paladin
I think the other reason for making it so that gear loses gems, enchants and reforges... is simply to keep people from using the Void storage as a Bank.
It is not suppost to be used as a Bank storage. This is a long term, put your stuff away, and forget you have it.
Only way I would use it would be what some other poster said, if they allow us to put in and take out on another realm like the BoAs*. Then yea I would I do it.

*BoA is technically Bind on Account and as we all know our ACCOUNTS include other realms so the heirloom gear is NOT Bind on Account. It should be changed to Bind on Realm. We should be able to mail our Hgear to other realms as the BoA would suggest.......
100 Worgen Druid
So, in order for us to use gear for an appearance tab we HAVE to spend 1000g to put stuff into the void storage so we can use it?

The only 2 sets i'll be farming is T6 and T7 for my pally, and as much as i want to use the appearence tab, i'm not going to waste 1kg for something i can put in my own bank in a netherweave bag.
100 Dwarf Warrior
So, in order for us to use gear for an appearance tab we HAVE to spend 1000g to put stuff into the void storage so we can use it?

The only 2 sets i'll be farming is T6 and T7 for my pally, and as much as i want to use the appearence tab, i'm not going to waste 1kg for something i can put in my own bank in a netherweave bag.

I don't believe that is the case. Void Storage and Transmogrification are two separate features, they just complement each other. You don't have to use Void Storage unless you need the extra space, you can simply 'mog your gear from your normal bags/bank.
90 Worgen Hunter
Don't suppose there are any plans for hunters to be able to store more than 20 pets using this feature? After keeping a selection of pets around to bring necessary raid buffs that may be missing stable space is tight if you want to keep pets around based on looks from rare models or spirit beasts. Park them there and they lose their name and talent tree maybe since the antiquated servers we live on can't handle an extra line of txt data that could contain that info.
75 Gnome Mage
Void Storage is a waste of gold then ... 1000g to open and more to put in and take out...
I just make a guild bank alt or 2.. cheaper
85 Human Paladin
08/17/2011 07:37 PMPosted by Zarhym
Part of this is due to technical limitations. One of the reasons we're able to offer so many more slots of storage to players now is because it's fairly simple data storage when we're talking item IDs. Throw in enchants, gems, and reforging though, and you have a lot more data that has to be stored.

Let's be generous here.
1kb or 1024 bytes per item. That stores the item id, the reforging, gemming and enchanting. Honestly if you can't squeeze that info into 1kb, I'd be surprised.
~11 million subscribers. 50 characters maximum per account.
550 million characters. Maximum. I'm being overly generous here in terms of storage requirements.

550m * 1024 bytes per item is approximately 525 gigabytes of data. That's to store one item per character.

Let there be 80 slots of storage, that's just under 41 terabytes of data storage.

You're telling me that at 11m*$13= US$143M MINIMUM you can't afford 41 hard drives?

Cheap jerks.
100 Night Elf Druid
I haven't seen this yet addressed anywhere, but considering the number of threads on the subject it may have been.

As I understand it, essentially all transmogrifying does is reskin a piece of gear to a new skin so that it appears like the original item. However, are item-based appearance-altering procs transferred through to new gear? Take Fandral's Flamescythe for example. Does transmogrifying that to a new weapon still allow the wielder to transform into a fire cat, or is that considered a spell that doesn't transfer?
100 Worgen Druid

I don't believe that is the case. Void Storage and Transmogrification are two separate features, they just complement each other. You don't have to use Void Storage unless you need the extra space, you can simply 'mog your gear from your normal bags/bank.

reading other replies and it seems to be leaning this way. hopefully it isn't the case.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]