So. Let's talk dress up.

100 Gnome Mage
I would like to roll with my current adorable outfit... but since I cannot 'mog plate into this dress...

DREAMS SHATTERED!

Oooh that is cute! I support the idea of you having the dress in plate! Hey, if you can't have fun, you may as well just lie down and die.
08/20/2011 03:40 AMPosted by Evilaña
@Evilaña :/ I think you have to match armour types, also need to get the item, and be able to wear it.

NOOOOOOOOOO, thats lame but i can see why =(. im a new player so i dont have the old raid armor sets =(((((((( /cry. Besides all the old hunters sets look soooooooo lame. i like stuff pretty and white =(((

Are there even boots l and a belt like that? o.o
94 Human Rogue
@ Grave its the holy paladin heroic belt and set, comes from magmaw and heroic nefarian
1 Tauren Druid
I'm thinking for t6 for both my priest and druid... If I get my pally to 85 and want to farm old content, I'll most likely get t5.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
08/18/2011 02:41 PMPosted by Daxxarri
So weapons that look like fish, for example, probably won't be available as source items for Transmogrification, even if one is technically a dagger and has stats. There are a handful other weapons with "silly" models (such as frying pans, brooms, etc.) that may or may not be allowed -- it's still under discussion.

Why are they even in the game then if people aren't supposed to use them as weapons because they look so silly?
85 Gnome Priest
You know, at first I tended to agree with Daxxarri (the Blue) about limiting the silliness but after so many players brought up great points and examples of silliness already in the game I have to agree with them now..

Let us wear whatever we want. If we can wear it now in game, we should be able to transmogrify to it.

Sure you'll get some big hulking tauren in pink dresses wielding a fish in a top hat and monocle but to be honest, I think we'll see an influx of that at the start but it will dwindle down to players who actually want to make their player look cool.

And even if they don't, so what? Who are you, me or anyone else to say what they should or should not look like. What may seem "overly silly" to you may be really fun for them and isn't that what this game is about?

As of right now with the restrictions, I'm sure I'll find a way to make some cool outfits but I'm not as excited about it knowing i'll be pigeonholed into only certain pieces of gear.

With that said, I AM excited for it. I don't want Blizz thinking I'm not greatful for this feature but all it is is a START. It's a good start.. I just hope they realize that more customization is better.
Blue Lightforge from BC dungeons.

Lightbringer(without the silly Halo)

Vengefull (If they fix the vendor and I get the last 3 peices I never got)

Justicar(re farming peices)

Judgement

With lovely weapon assorments from the Grand Marshall's 2-h hammer, Quel'Delar, Sulfron Hammer, Cata's edge, Linken's Sword of Mastery, Quel'Serrar(the original)

Who thought Item Hoar-Collecting would pay off in the future?

85 Night Elf Druid
t4 or t6 with stylin' purple hat and Dual Dark Herring.

Well, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but...

We have an obligation to players and to our hard working artists to keep the game from looking too silly. I know looking ridiculous is fun for some players, but World of Warcraft was established with a design that the game overall kept its silliness in check. That’s one of the reasons we resisted adding a feature like Transmogrification for so long.

So weapons that look like fish, for example, probably won't be available as source items for Transmogrification, even if one is technically a dagger and has stats. There are a handful other weapons with "silly" models (such as frying pans, brooms, etc.) that may or may not be allowed -- it's still under discussion.

Sorry pal but you lost this argument the day you created a huge mechanical chicken for gnomes to ride.

Which was the first day.

First thing I want to do is transmog every single one of these horrible WWE belts that Cata forced on us! I don't even care what they look like: I just hate these stupid belts!
08/20/2011 06:48 AMPosted by Fade

We have an obligation to players and to our hard working artists to keep the game from looking too silly. I know looking ridiculous is fun for some players, but World of Warcraft was established with a design that the game overall kept its silliness in check. That’s one of the reasons we resisted adding a feature like Transmogrification for so long.

Sorry pal but you lost this argument the day you created a huge mechanical chicken for gnomes to ride.

Which was the first day.

I think Helmet slots should not be restricted by armor, I think It would be pretty B.A. to wear a full suit of judgement with Cowl of the Grand Engineer
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't, but hope to soon!
1 Orc Rogue
All blizz is doing is stealing a feature that Ever Quest has had for years. Next thing we will be able to display old armor and downed bosses in a house or castle.
85 Human Mage
I miss my spiky purple Marshal gear and am thrilled to get that back, though I'm still rather disappointed that I can't make my dagger look like a 1H sword.
Edited by Foury on 8/20/2011 8:00 AM PDT
85 Orc Death Knight
I'd like an option to be able to disable our shoulders/belt for cosmetic reasons. I wouldn't want to have a super awesome looking gear that doesn't involve shoulder items and then have it ruined by them.
85 Blood Elf Warrior
http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=30976:30974:30970:30978:30980:34568:34442:34547:40266:25549:49827

Oh yeah!
85 Night Elf Druid
/flexes Druid of the Talon wings.
85 Worgen Death Knight
I was originally going to come in here with a handful of smartass remarks revolving around the game keeping its silliness in check and Hogger becoming 'merely a setback', but I suppose that's a different kind of silliness all together.

I have to say I actually agree with this, given it a moment of serious thought. Despite the vast amounts of humor found in the World of Warcraft, it does keep up the aesthetic for the most part and saves the truly ludicrous bits for small quest chains.

Plus it occurred to me that it would probably bother me, as a player, just as the vast majority of people that play gnomes (specifically male) because "lolfunny" and are largely obnoxious. Of course that's a gross generalization and there are many exceptions to the rule.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
You know, I never really thought they'd implement a feature like this. Of course, the moment they did, we began to see the fallout in terms of restrictions, spurring several threads into being protesting the restrictions.

On the subject of not allowing items in a different armor class:
I'm not sure what you're trying to preserve here, Blizz. There are plenty of examples you provide yourself in the form of NPCs decked in attire that isn't in their armor class. Shaman and Druids in cloth, Warriors and Paladins in mail, and Hunters in leather are the initial examples that come to mind. Is it really so terrible to allow a nature themed Hunter running around in the leathers with leaves and such on them? Is it really so terrible to allow Rogues or run around in masks and hoods typed as cloth? Would it be unsettling to allow Orc Warriors to run around in the harnesses so many Orc NPCs do?

On the subject of not allowing items in a different weapon class:
I have to admit, more often than not I'm attracted to a class for a concept of weapon use (or for the weapon animations) than anything else. Unfortunately, there's no way to really have some of the concepts some people desire. Not just anyone who dual wields and can wield fist weapons can make a brawler, just being able to wield polearms doesn't mean they will be itemized at higher levels (or any, really), which leaves a bitter taste in mine, and I'd wager others', mouths. A newbie who reads that Warriors can wield polearms is likely expecting to use them, not have to find they need to switch to axes, swords, or maces, based on which is being itemized at their level. This could alleviate that by providing players the ability to actually wield what they want to.

Paladins who are more traditionalist could insist on wielding hammers, while those going for more of a stereotypical crusader might opt for swords. Warriors who want to wield polearms could finally do so, Rogues that want to dual wield fists could indulge. It's not as though every race doesn't have animations for every weapon out there. Is it that there's an intrinsic desire to limit to appearance to weapons that could be wielded by that class? If that's all it is, I honestly hope effort is invested to allow for weapon Transmogrifying within those bounds quickly, because part of the appeal for me would be the ability to keep the appearance of the weapon I like without having to be constricted by what weapon I actually have to wield.

On the subject of items without stats being ineligible:
Again, I'm not really seeing an issue if someone wants to run around in a skirt, civilian outfit, Don Carlos' hat, a tuxedo, considering some of the other items you let players run around in. If a girl can run around in a plate bikini, what's wrong with letting them run around in the valentine's dress if they so desire? If they can also run around in what essential are a shirt and pants with stats, why not allow the items without stats that look nearly identical (but may have different color themes or other aesthetic differences) as well?

On the subject of silliness:
t4 or t6 with stylin' purple hat and Dual Dark Herring.

If that's truly your stance, then I respect it and will stand behind you. But you have to demonstrate that your goal is actually to keep silliness in check. Because right now, to put things into perspective, I'd like to point out some of the things we can currently do in the heat of battle:
    Be a Moonkin
    Transform creatures from the average bandit to the eldritch horrors from beyond insanity into: Cats, Rabbits, Monkeys, Chickens, Frogs, Penguins, Polar Bears and Sheep
    /dance, /flirt, /silly, /chicken
    Throw a tree
    Shoot a rainbow
    Turn into a Ninja, Pirate, or a Skeleton reliably
    Turn into a Kalu'ak, Dark Iron, Iron Dwarf, etc. less often
    Have a Hunter's Fox dance
    Have a Hunter's Monkey throw poo at the enemy
    Shoot "wee critters" with a ranged weapon
    Listen to Bosses proclaim that deaths were merely a setback, to 'kill the one in the dress,' or "Ding!" "Grats!"
    Throw up

If the goal is to keep immersion in tact by keeping silliness in check, the aforementioned silliness should be dealt with. I suspect that this stuff is going to remain in game, though, in which case a handful of people deciding they have to fight with fish, rolling pins, fishing poles or other weapons doesn't seem nearly so out of place. Because really, if I'm going to be fighting alongside a pirate and a ninja while critters go whizzing by as ammunition, I may as well be allowed to wield a frying pan or two.
85 Worgen Druid

I appreciate your view on this, and can agree for the most part. Would it be at all possible to lock out such ridiculous items on non-rp servers while allowing them on an rp server due to the very nature of an rp server? If not then where would you stand on various items such as the low lvl white that is a baken, or other such unreasonable but not quite silly pieces of gear?
85 Worgen Druid
If the goal is to keep immersion in tact by keeping silliness in check, the aforementioned silliness should be dealt with. I suspect that this stuff is going to remain in game, though, in which case a handful of people deciding they have to fight with fish, rolling pins, fishing poles or other weapons doesn't seem nearly so out of place. Because really, if I'm going to be fighting alongside a pirate and a ninja while critters go whizzing by as ammunition, I may as well be allowed to wield a frying pan or two.

Perhaps silliness was an incorrect word choice. The restriction of items that seem "silly" is more or less a way to restrict the amount of cartoon antics that players can introduce into the game. Come on do you really think that Blizz wants to risk world first Deathwing being killed by a frying pans, fish, and other various cartoon weapons?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]