Let's face it, Transmogrification is... #2

85 Troll Druid
Original Post.
Let's face it, Transmogrification is going to end Blizzards creativity when it comes to gear design. What's the point of Blizzard trying to astound people with aesthetics anymore now that every paladin in the world is going to resemble a banana. This is by no means a hate thread, it's simply a debate thread.
In my humble opinion, Blizzard has no need to try and make great looking gear anymore now that everyone will be rolling around in Vanilla gear. No longer will we see new tiers that are Transmogrification worthy like the majority of the low level tier was. If anyone would bring up this problem, I can picture them passing it off with a simple "try Transmogrifying your gear to make it look better."
Maybe I'm just over reacting, maybe I'm not. What does everyone else think?

P.S. People have brought up the idea that there should be an interface button to disable viewing of Transmogrified items, this seems like it would be a pain to make but I think it's the best solution I've heard yet. Then at least it would be a win-win, if you wanted to RP some with some friends in old gear you could, but if you wanted to raid without seeing people looking like all different colors of power rangers, you could too.
Thoughts?

Latest Post.
I'm sorry but as my rogue has spent most of Cata wearing what looks like a coconut on her head, I think they ran out of ideas a while ago.

They do seriously lack creativity in the helm/hat department don't they?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2973016539

Edit by Rygarius: Added link to original thread to help keep track of all the discussions going on.
Edited by Rygarius on 8/18/2011 3:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
The more i think about it, it will be cool to run around wearing my old tier looking the way I want to look. The only question I have is, you said you have to be able to wear it to mog it, understandably. So would I be able to mog my druids leather gear to look like I'm a clothie? or will it be you're primary armor / same armor mogging to same armor?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
This change would, if anything, motivate the art department to be more creative with gear since they know players would be able to wear it longer than the tier it was designed for.
Reply Quote
13 Goblin Warlock
To be fair to WoW's artists and modelers, whether gear is "cool" or not is highly subjective. Many people posted how much they disliked TBC gear, years ago, and since then many other people have waxed nostalgic over the TBC gear appearance.

I'm pretty sure the artists will make the best looking armor and weapons that they can, and that they'll hope you'll want to display it. If not, or if for other reasons we prefer a different appearance, how is having the choice a bad thing?

I in no way believe the artists are going to stop trying to make awesome looking armor. I also believe that a lot of today's armor that gets panned will be looked back on next expac as the look of "the good old days."
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
08/18/2011 01:58 PMPosted by Rankin
This change would, if anything, motivate the art department to be more creative with gear since they know players would be able to wear it longer than the tier it was designed for.

Basically make them work harder so everyone want's to wear the latest and greatest? Yeah, that makes sense. Hopefully we see some new tier that will BE the new good looking tier, as opposed to T1-6. Don't get me wrong every class has some good tiers each xpac, but this might make them make the newer stuff that much better. We shall see.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Lets face it, this thread is a troll thread #2.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
The whole thing is going to be pointless if you have to have full sets of old armor in storage. I personally have two old characters who still have a set of T1 in the bank, but really that is about it. Why would I want to run around with the appearance of T1 gear when I'm wearing T11 or T12?

It doesn't really allow for true customization and I'm frankly surprised Blizz has been hyping this feature. The new 5man instances and the new raid are far more compelling to me.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The warrior gear for pvp and paladin pve gear is actually really cool. But Holy paladin pvp, its the same as previous but with red and 4 spikes on the orb, also what does paladins and eagles have in common? Because
<--------

I look like one.

I want to look like a paladin, the new pve paladin gear represents that. Best teir to represent paladins so far is teir 6. Possibly 5 for draeini paladins.
Edited by Dethrath on 8/18/2011 2:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Blizzard has no need to try and make great looking gear anymore now that everyone will be rolling around in Vanilla gear.

Wait, how do you know what every player is going to choose in terms of looks? Either a troll or just dumb
Edited by Yzzami on 8/18/2011 2:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I doubt I will ever be much of a "tranny". I spend much more time looking at the stats of my gear and hardly pay attention to what it actually looks like. Occasionally, I notice a cool looking piece, but I don't think I'd spend the effort to make another one look like it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue

I can see one of two thingshappening:

1) Everyone gets into the mog thing. Everyone is wearing older gear sets. Blizz art department decides new designs aren't needed and gets lazy to the point where new tier sets designs are just blank white boxes that you put on and mog.

2) Everyone gets into the mog thing. Blizz notices no one is wearing current content because it looks funny. Art department gets inspired to create some really awesome looking stuff to compete with the older gears.

Obviously I hope for #2 :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I won't make use of this feature becuase I don't think the newer sets are any good. I'll use it because in order to maximize the benefit you get you have to get pieces with the most stats.

This leads to the appearance that we're all color blind clowns with no fashion sense.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
We're still going to want to create awesome new high-end items.

It doesn't make sense to start 'skimping' because showing off that you're on the cutting edge is really one of the major draws to high end raiding, pumping up your stats and looking cool while you do it. But it also doesn't make sense to change our efforts because one day the armor sets we're making now are ones that people are going to want to use in the Transmogrification system.

One day four people are going to roll over Deathwing, farming the set so they can wear their favorite looking tier.

Obviously there's a lot of subjectivity to which set someone thinks is the best, or how people want their characters to look, and that's the point of Transmogrification. If someone wants to race to build a full T13 set and then transmog it to look like they're wearing an older tier, that's their choice, but our expectation is that the majority will want to show off their achievements while they're sexy, and that the sets we're making now will be someone's favorite in the future.

I do, however, fully expect that much like with every tier there will be many people who hate on them, and I fully expect Transmogrification will be used as a reason as to why they are the worst sets ever made. But, that's ok, we'll keep truckin'.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Another thing I think some folk fail to consider is that this transmogrifying system could possibly be a valuable data gathering tool for Blizzard's artists. If they see consistent use of certain pieces they can take a look at whats different about those pieces compared to the rest of the stuff out there.

For example if for some reason every clothy began using the lvl 60 pvp shoulders (Field Marshal's Silk Spaulders the mage one for example) for their shoulder piece appearance... whats different about them? Well they arent really big shoulder pads like today's bulky padded things that often are as big as your head... they do have large spires however as decoration but those sit more behind the head than next to it. They also have a glow.

Another example would be the pvp cloth helm (Field Marshal's Coronet) this helm doesnt cover your face, it makes your eyes glow, it doesnt chop off your hair and its not overly big. It is however very detailed.

Details like that could influence future art design so as to be more appealing to what the players trend towards. I'm not saying that is the case but it is something to consider. Observing the data trends can improve the future artwork by making it more appealing to more people.
Edited by Kyriani on 8/18/2011 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Personally im excited to bits for this feature. Thinking they will skimp on armor design is silly, TM (can I call it tm?) only gives you more options, not less. If you think TM is bad, then your most likely wearing a noob sign on your back somewhere...

I just wanna know 2 things, can we use it for our favorite weapons? and can we select pieces to TM that we never could get to drop from the old raids? Cause my dk would really love to finish his tier ten set look with those boots that never dropped for him in icc.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
08/18/2011 02:24 PMPosted by Bashiok
I do, however, fully expect that much like with every tier there will be many people who hate on them, and I fully expect Transmogrification will be used as a reason as to why they are the worst sets ever made. But, that's ok, we'll keep truckin'.

You blues never get a break, huh? :<
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Personally im excited to bits for this feature. Thinking they will skimp on armor design is silly, TM (can I call it tm?) only gives you more options, not less. If you think TM is bad, then your most likely wearing a noob sign on your back somewhere...

I just wanna know 2 things, can we use it for our favorite weapons? and can we select pieces to TM that we never could get to drop from the old raids? Cause my dk would really love to finish his tier ten set look with those boots that never dropped for him in icc.

You must own the item you wish to use the appearance of. The system basically works like this... you put on your regular armor... and you have the armor you want it to look like in your inventory. You then open the interface for transmogrification which will look something like reforging except there will be a slot for every item you are wearing... you drag the items from your inventory whose appearance you want to use to those slots and hit the transmogrify button and presto the gear now uses that appearance.

Sadly if the RNG does not favor you with the drops you want to use you wont be able to use those appearances. It does however promote more retro raiding to acquire desired pieces for a specific look.
Edited by Kyriani on 8/18/2011 2:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]