Let's face it, Transmogrification is... #2

90 Undead Warlock
Original Post.
Let's face it, Transmogrification is going to end Blizzards creativity when it comes to gear design. What's the point of Blizzard trying to astound people with aesthetics anymore now that every paladin in the world is going to resemble a banana.

Good. Let's steer things back in a better direction instead of stacking shoulders higher and higher with particle effects. The artists will try making things people like again.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
As an artist, if I were in the shoes of the gear designers, this would only compel me to work even harder to create lasting designs.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
meh my shaman has full t5 and t6 still imma probibly just look like 1 of those. still? im thinking about running uldaur for weapon models.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
08/18/2011 01:58 PMPosted by Rankin
This change would, if anything, motivate the art department to be more creative with gear since they know players would be able to wear it longer than the tier it was designed for.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
We're still going to want to create awesome new high-end items.

It doesn't make sense to start 'skimping' because showing off that you're on the cutting edge is really one of the major draws to high end raiding, pumping up your stats and looking cool while you do it. But it also doesn't make sense to change our efforts because one day the armor sets we're making now are ones that people are going to want to use in the Transmogrification system.

One day four people are going to roll over Deathwing, farming the set so they can wear their favorite looking tier.

Obviously there's a lot of subjectivity to which set someone thinks is the best, or how people want their characters to look, and that's the point of Transmogrification. If someone wants to race to build a full T13 set and then transmog it to look like they're wearing an older tier, that's their choice, but our expectation is that the majority will want to show off their achievements while they're sexy, and that the sets we're making now will be someone's favorite in the future.

I do, however, fully expect that much like with every tier there will be many people who hate on them, and I fully expect Transmogrification will be used as a reason as to why they are the worst sets ever made. But, that's ok, we'll keep truckin'.

Can I take this to mean you guys are going to make some sets this expansion that are actually cool looking? Warriors as always have nice tier but mages have even stupider helms than usual and we are well known for having the dumbest looking sets.

Maybe one that makes us look like a wizard of insurmountable power and not like a doll?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
you just cant please you people really first you complain that gear design sucks then you complain abut the OPTION (i really want to emphasize that word cause i am sure everyone here understands it) to go back to gear designs golden days you still complain what this option does it lets you take your favorite gear while still having FL or death wing stats or if you like the new tier best you can keep the look if you get tired of it and want to go back to t6 you can do that get tired of that? you can back to the more newer tiers blizz has a wide range of gear design but currently you are constricted to one set look because of their stats now you can have any look you want while retaining the high end stats from what i understand you can even give your pvp gear a pve look or vice versa i am personally looking forward to dusting of my hunter's marshal set it has been sitting in my bank for 3 years
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
you just cant please you people really first you complain that gear design sucks then you complain abut the OPTION (i really want to emphasize that word cause i am sure everyone here understands it) to go back to gear designs golden days you still complain what this option does it lets you take your favorite gear while still having FL or death wing stats or if you like the new tier best you can keep the look if you get tired of it and want to go back to t6 you can do that get tired of that? you can back to the more newer tiers blizz has a wide range of gear design but currently you are constricted to one set look because of their stats now you can have any look you want while retaining the high end stats from what i understand you can even give your pvp gear a pve look or vice versa i am personally looking forward to dusting of my hunter's marshal set it has been sitting in my bank for 3 years
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
I used to make custom content for a life simulation game. My ToU allowed for recoloring and reuse of my original work. Particularly popular sets and items were often recolored by others. That in no way discouraged me from wanting to create new, fresh, interesting items. There's no reason to assume that the artists at Blizzard will stop striving to create new, fresh, and interesting items either.

People will often dismiss the effort put into something that they don't care for, but that's a subjective opinion on their end, and is not usually indicative of what actually happened on the other end.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
08/18/2011 02:32 PMPosted by Kyriani
Another thing I think some folk fail to consider is that this transmogrifying system could possibly be a valuable data gathering tool for Blizzard's artists. If they see consistent use of certain pieces they can take a look at whats different about those pieces compared to the rest of the stuff out there.

My thoughts exactly. If certain sorts of gear are extremely popular with particular classes, the design team might be inspired to take that as a starting point and run with it.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
08/25/2011 08:10 PMPosted by Gevarah
I completely agree. Its kind of ridiculous that everyone is focusing on this feature and not the raid and the new instances. The people obsessing on this feature are obviously not the people I would want to raid with.

A lot of people don't raid, probably more than DO raid to be honest. And your post is fairly clear that many people don't meet your standards. So be honest and say that you think raiding is a somewhat exclusive club compared to the entire player population.

If any of that is true, then a moment's thought will tell you why people aren't overly excited about new raids.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The warrior gear for pvp and paladin pve gear is actually really cool. But Holy paladin pvp, its the same as previous but with red and 4 spikes on the orb, also what does paladins and eagles have in common? Because
<--------

I look like one.

I want to look like a paladin, the new pve paladin gear represents that. Best teir to represent paladins so far is teir 6. Possibly 5 for draeini paladins.

BROOO...... JUDGMENT! EXCECTIONAR! LAWBRINGER! LIGHTBRINGER! LIGHtFORGE! t5 makes you look like a gay power ranger.
Reply Quote
58 Night Elf Death Knight
The whole thing is going to be pointless if you have to have full sets of old armor in storage. I personally have two old characters who still have a set of T1 in the bank, but really that is about it. Why would I want to run around with the appearance of T1 gear when I'm wearing T11 or T12?

It doesn't really allow for true customization and I'm frankly surprised Blizz has been hyping this feature. The new 5man instances and the new raid are far more compelling to me.
At least 1 is going to be redone old content. SFK, VC, ZA, and ZG weren't enough, it seems. As for the raid, it's one I won't see til next xpac anyway. Yawn.

I'd think they'd get even more creative; as new tiers come out, we have that much more gear to transmog to.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

I completely agree. Its kind of ridiculous that everyone is focusing on this feature and not the raid and the new instances. The people obsessing on this feature are obviously not the people I would want to raid with. Always worrying about how their character looks and not how it preforms.

The real features of this patch should be focused on the raid and the 5 mans, and getting new awesome looking tier gear. Transmogrification should just be an important feature for people who don't want to put in the effort to gain new good looking gear and for peoples alts who aren't used anymore, But want to look good in the character selection screen.

I'm sure some of the people you would raid with are also excited by this feature.

I could take it or leave it, but that's not stopping me from assembling some gear so I can customize the look of my character while still being effective in a resto spec if I choose to play it.

The reason everyone is hyped about this is because currently this and Darkmoon Faire are the only things we really have details on for the 4.3 patch. When raid and 5-man info actually gets released other than "There will be a raid and 3 new 5-mans in 4.3" people will talk about that.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
They're not going to stop designing new armor and weapon models. And as an added bonus we now have almost total freedom to choose how our character looks. You can show-off new sets, hard to get sets, goofy sets.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I never really pay attention to what people are wearing anyway. Even in pvp situations, I'm more focused on what abilities people are using and what their general stats look like.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Transmogging is going to be, an interesting change for everything. Bringing back old content for an even greater purpose then getting the gear for just looks, but also for use. I have no doubt that some people want their gear to look absalutely wonderful, whilst others don't care. Does it really matter? Not really.

If Mogging dosn't worry you, or excite you, fair enough. If you -are- excited for Mogging, then good for you. I'm planning on using this feature once or twice, just to test it out and see how it goes. If I do find a set of armor that looks great, and figure I want to use it all day,everyday then I most likely will. With the announcment of the new and improved Darkmoon Faire, I'll also be taking a look at the 'Replica Armor' they supposedly have to offer.

Overall, it's no doubt that the content that is being brought into 4.3, is (In a way) going to be revolutionary.
Reply Quote
82 Troll Shaman

We're still going to want to create awesome new high-end items.

It doesn't make sense to start 'skimping' because showing off that you're on the cutting edge is really one of the major draws to high end raiding, pumping up your stats and looking cool while you do it. But it also doesn't make sense to change our efforts because one day the armor sets we're making now are ones that people are going to want to use in the Transmogrification system.

One day four people are going to roll over Deathwing, farming the set so they can wear their favorite looking tier.

Obviously there's a lot of subjectivity to which set someone thinks is the best, or how people want their characters to look, and that's the point of Transmogrification. If someone wants to race to build a full T13 set and then transmog it to look like they're wearing an older tier, that's their choice, but our expectation is that the majority will want to show off their achievements while they're sexy, and that the sets we're making now will be someone's favorite in the future.

I do, however, fully expect that much like with every tier there will be many people who hate on them, and I fully expect Transmogrification will be used as a reason as to why they are the worst sets ever made. But, that's ok, we'll keep truckin'.

It's sokay, you're still my hero
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
08/18/2011 03:17 PMPosted by Trånsmôgrîfy
On a side note, I'd also like to mention that we should be allowed to make items invisible. After all, you already have invisible armor in the game. (Sandrene's Invisible Vest) Imagine if you were role-playing an orc who was raised by trolls and your orc grew up without shoes. You can't simply run around barefoot or you would lose the stats from that particular slot. Maybe my character doesn't mind getting his hands dirty and would rather go without gloves, etc. Don't forget that there are many magical methods of turning an organic being invisible so the magic necessary for a non-organic piece of armor should be miniscule in comparison and as I've already pointed out, invisible armor already exists (although not for every armor type or slot).

Totally agree with this 100%. After all, there are lots of druid NPCs running around barefoot. Why can't I let my druid alt do that too? In addition to that, they should bring back the junglewalker sandals and make a Horde version of them or just make something that looks like them. That way, we can make our cloth-wearers wear actual sandals and not boots that are wrongly-labeled as sandals.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=42914#objective-of

If *she* gets to wear those sandals, why can't we?
Edited by Cassima on 8/31/2011 10:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
Hey in Patch 4.3.0 i would love like a Void Stable for more pets, tamable Hydras, Fankriss (Sand Reaver) tamable, a new spirit beast like a Spirit Fox, and if the Raid Finder since you making that in shouldn't you make Deathwing's Encounter a 40 man raid? Maybe a rare fire elemental looking raptor in Molten Front or in Firelands raid as a mini boss that can be tamed as the hardest challenge for hunters :o), and maybe bring back Ahn'Qiraj in patch 4.3.0 as its been rumored that the Twilight's Hammer was bringing back C'thun
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]