Guild Marketing

90 Human Mage
For those who want to start a guild or have questions on marketing a guild.

Guild names are important. Find a name that will appeal to a wide audience and that isn't too offensive or. If you already have a name, then own it. Make your name a part of the recruiting campaign. If you aren't sure how to do that, ask and I'll help.

What kind of guild is it? Each of style has their own drawbacks for a new guild to market. Prospective members will look for the following

Raiding Guild - They'll most likely look on the armory to see how many 85s you have, gear, etc. Hardcore raiders want to raid now, they don't want to wait for you to find a suitable group. So start with lower level members that you can have go through the lower raids and learn to raid.

Casual Guild - This is the easiest in my opinion. These are the people who can't play everyday and are looking for low pressure and leveling at their own pace. They don't care as much about perks. Many will likely be alts of people in large guilds looking for a quiet place.

Leveling Guild - Another harder one. These guys want that xp bonus. Personally, I wouldn't advertise a low level guild as a leveling guild until you have enough active members to actually run people through dungeons or at least until you get that first xp bonus level.

Social Guild - This isn't as easy as it looks. These people want chatter. That means they need a few people laughing, joking, etc. at all hours of the day. When you advertise this guild, make sure you let people know that you are most active between X-X hours server time. You can change this as you grow.

RP Guild - One of the hardest IMO. You need a theme that is broad in spectrum and uncomplicated. Many of the "military" rp guilds don't go far because a lot of people are put off by the idea of "joining" the military. Others try to start out with storylines so specific that a new member would feel lost. AND you have to have enough people online to RP with.

PvP Guild- I’ll ask others to fill in the blanks on this one. PvPing is something I'm terrible at :) I can offer no real advice here.

In marketing you always accentuate the positive or turn the negative into the positive. If you are a level one guild with no perks, play on that.

Do you miss the challenge of leveling without the perks? Are you looking for a chance to be in on the ground floor of something great? <X> is a brand new <guild style> guild looking for mature members with fresh ideas.

You can add in things like no drama, etc. Don't waste character space by saying how many bank tabs you have or that you have a guild tabard. Use humor if possible.

Spelling and capitalization are important. People If you don't care enough to properly spell in your ad, or capitalize properly, then people presume you won't put much care and thought into other aspects.

Guild rules/behavior. Players often look at a troll in trade to see what guild they are in so they know what guild to avoid. If someone is a troll in trade, chances are the way they treat people in trade is the way they will treat their fellow guild members. Set some rules up in advance, put them in the info tab and stick to them.

Trade is okay for your ad, but you should focus more on areas outside of trade (general chat in outer areas). The best members aren't the ones hanging around in the cities, they are the ones out doing. Use every resource at your disposal. The forum and the guildfinder, which puts your guild name and description in a place where people looking for guilds can see it. Make sure that your ad there includes best time to find someone online and to send you a mail with their usual play times so you can arrange for the invite.

Consider passing out things like low level bags, gear, etc. at the starting points and inviting low level players.

Make sure you spend time chatting with a member before inviting. If they aren't a good fit during that, they will probably not improve with time.

Once you have enough people online at the same time, start doing some fun public events. We have parades through Stormwind and out to Goldshire and back. We have fly and fall events. All of us fly up and mass drop, Screaming "We're <NOT DEAD YET>" as we fall. We had a dance party in the trade district and passed out free fortune cookies courtesy of <Not Dead Yet>. We also sponsored free portal services during major events like Thanksgiving. This garnered quite a few members. Get creative, but get your name out there in a positive way.

Make sure that your new members feel like they are a part of the growing of the guild. Get them involved in recruiting. Make sure they represent the guild the way you want to see it represented.

Building a guild is hard work and takes time and patience. Expect it to take at least 6 months to get off the ground.

If you want help building an ad, post info about your guild here and lets see what ads the forum can help come up with.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
This is a fantastic guide.

08/19/2011 07:44 AMPosted by Mystrea
Spelling and capitalization are important. People If you don't care enough to properly spell in your ad, or capitalize properly, then people presume you won't put much care and thought into other aspects.

I'd go as far as even adding punctuation and grammar. That extra step makes you look even better.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I'll add a few other ideas too, that might be a little more "advanced".

1.) Get a website ASAP. There are many sites that offer free guild websites, which while usually handicapped in features and/or have lots of ads are way better than having no website. Its good for building a community and its better for creating structure.

2.) I'll add this for guild types: "Outside of the box". What content is your guild going to offer? My guild offers EVERYTHING in WoW. Our schedule can and does consist of retro raiding and dungeons as well as current content, RP nights, PVP nights, fishing contests, Parades through stormwind, etc.

3.) Reach out to your server and offer to host special events. This is kind of a YMMV situation that depends on your server, but we host events from time to time for old content like a Haala PVP event we're having on Llane soon so players can get together and fight for Haala tokens to get their mounts from TBC. Things like this can really help advertise your guild and make you stand out.
Reply Quote
84 Human Warlock
Really helpful/awesome guide :D
Reply Quote
Yes very cool info...

Oh and on the PVP thing, the BIGGEST reason PVP guilds fail so often is purely lack of activity. People advertise about RBGs and such all the time when forming new PVP guilds. But, they fall apart in a couple of weeks cause they recruit like crazy and then do RBGs once or twice a week and nothing else in-between lol

RBG activity is the biggest way to keep the guild together. So, get ready to lead a lot of RBGs until you find some solid leaders who can take over lead for you.

Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
My charter for 'Revenge of the Profane' still requires 4 signatures but afterwards it will be a guild of one.

What label does that fall under?

That's more of a bank guild if you only plan to keep yourself and alts in there :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
also something you might consider which works well for us is a strong working relationship with other top / well established guilds on the server

we run a more "casual" raid guild so I send people looking for a hardcore experience to other guilds on our server that I know are recruiting things and in turn I tend to pick up their members who are burnt out on hardcore raiding
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Two questions,

Are you planning on being mainly a french-speaking guild?
If not, would you be interested in other options? Are you looking for humorous, generic, rough/tough, ominous, etc?

Mystrea <of Cheese> ..... hmmm... is this what I want under my name?

Mystrea <Big Cheese> or <Cheesed> maybe... LOL
Reply Quote
84 Draenei Priest
I just started a guild called "Sanctuarium" (Latin for "sanctuary") and we're a very small, close-knit guild. We plan on concentrating on casual leveling and I'm having the hardest time coming up with good advertisements. I'm not very creative lol

Could you possibly help me come up with a good ad?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Looking for quiet place to level? A great guild with no drama? Enter the <Sanctuarium> and find peace. We area casual leveling guild with a relaxing environment. No trolls, no troubles. We welcome all classes/levels. No experience needed. PST for more info.

I didn't add the close-knit for a reason. When I see an add that says close-knit, or "core group of friends" it says to me "this is a clique and I'll feel like an outsider" I also left out that you were a level 1 guild, if they pst of course you should tell them that, but don't do it as an apology. And let them know you value the quality of the member over the quantity.

"Yes, we are a level one guild, we plan on growing slowly so that we can get to know each other rather than a big rush just to get to the end."
Reply Quote
84 Draenei Priest
Thanks so much!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
LOL, any suggestions on ironing that out are VERY welcome.

Now, tell me a bit about Shine... what kind of guild? What level? etc. The more details the better.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I've advise against using "Casual" or "Hardcore"

No one really knows what these terms mean because they don't really mean anything.

One person's casual is another's hardcore, and vice versa. The community can't agree on what these terms actually mean (except in the most absolute extremes), so I'd suggest heavily against using either term in marketing your guild.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I've advise against using "Casual" or "Hardcore"

No one really knows what these terms mean because they don't really mean anything.

And when someone does think they mean something, it will almost always not be what you intended.
Reply Quote
68 Worgen Death Knight
Hello I was just curious what you would think up as an add for the guild I made it's called Oblivion Noctum which is latin for Forgotten Darkness. Right now it's mostly just a few close friends that are trying to make a friendly helpful place for any new player, but also work towards getting raiding started.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/07/2011 08:18 AMPosted by Subrosian
You either raid or don't raid, there is no working towards it. "We want to raid at ____ point" is English for "we will never raid", in the same way "we're 10 but we'll go 25 when we get enough interested raiders" means "we're 10 forever because no one in their right mind who wants to raid is going to join and sit on the bench until 14 other people join".

And this isn't something new, there were guilds that spent the entire Burning Crusade expansion advertising that they'd be starting raiding soon, or 'running Karazhan, will run Gruul/Mag when we get 25'. Raiders look for raiding guilds, that's all there is to it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]