Javascript Tooltips - DarkTip

3 Night Elf Druid
*Whew, finally able to post here, many thanks to Straton for helping my sorry self to set up a non-eu account here* :-)

I wanted to give you a heads-up and present a little open-source project of mine: pure javascript based API-driven tooltips for any website!

Currently supported:
- Realms
- Quests
- Items
- Characters (Generic)
- Characters (PvP Stats)
- Guilds
- Arena Teams

Demo page here: http://darkspotinthecorner.github.com/DarkTip/
Download here: https://github.com/darkspotinthecorner/DarkTip/zipball/master

These tooltips are purely javascript based, this means the user's browser will connect with Blizzard's new Community API and fetches the Data. This is especially nice, because every user will use his own IP to connect to the API.

Additionally I have included some nifty feature: Some of the tooltips (character and item currently) will change their content if you hold down SHIFT. :-D

How to install:

The library is very easy to implement and is used just like the good-ol' Wowhead tooltip library. Just include one javascript file and all Battle.net links that point to an item, a guild or a character profile will be given a tooltip! :-)

You may even use the lib without uploading anything to your server. However I don't have a hosting provider at hand for this, yet. ;-)

If you have questions or feedback just drop me a line, you will find my e-mail on the demo page of the lib.
Edited by Rhileu on 12/9/2011 6:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Very, very cool!

I noticed that if a character (mine for example) doesn't have duel spec, the second spec shows up as 'undefined'. Perhaps a more user friendly message would be helpful?

This looks like a great addition to many sites, thanks.
Reply Quote
3 Night Elf Druid
Very, very cool!

I noticed that if a character (mine for example) doesn't have duel spec, the second spec shows up as 'undefined'. Perhaps a more user friendly message would be helpful?

This looks like a great addition to many sites, thanks.

Thanks a lot, I really hope so, I had a lot of fun coding it so far. :-)

Concerning your bug report: Yes, this needs to be fixed. To be honest I had a hard tome finding characters without dual spec to test the plugin against. ;-P
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
nab toons below lvl 40 surefire they only have 1 spec
Reply Quote
This is very impressive! Saves me from writing my own! This is very, very awesome.
Reply Quote
2 Blood Elf Rogue
Looks really nice would like to see 2 features (which are not in at least based on documentation)

1) Allow something like wowhead have too to use stuff like rel="item=52214" to build the tooltip

2) A config option to set the url from where to grab the data, I got a full item raw dump and prefer to serve the data myself, to not use up api requests.
Reply Quote
3 Night Elf Druid
Looks really nice would like to see 2 features (which are not in at least based on documentation)

1) Allow something like wowhead have too to use stuff like rel="item=52214" to build the tooltip

2) A config option to set the url from where to grab the data, I got a full item raw dump and prefer to serve the data myself, to not use up api requests.

1) is in, it's not super-documented yet, true ;-)

• <span data-wowdatatooltip="realm:eu.gilneas(en)">Realm</span>

• <span data-wowdatatooltip="item:eu.64671(en)">Item</span>

• <span data-wowdatatooltip="character:eu.gilneas.rhil(en)">Character</span>

• <span data-wowdatatooltip="guild:eu.gilneas.ascension(en)">Guild</span>

2) is definitely possible. I could expose the target paths for the API calls to the public config so that you could overwrite them. However you need to be able to deliver JSONP data in the same format the actual API does, else it won't work.
Reply Quote
2 Blood Elf Rogue
08/23/2011 12:58 AMPosted by Rhileu
is definitely possible. I could expose the target paths for the API calls to the public config so that you could overwrite them. However you need to be able to deliver JSONP data in the same format the actual API does, else it won't work.

Any way is good just don't wanna hard change it in the file for easy future updating and as said i just took raw dumps so the format isnt a problem, kinda only need it for item tooltips using currently the wowhead ones.

And while just relooking at your site I must been blind to not see the part about using the tooltips without url.
Reply Quote
3 Night Elf Druid
Any way is good just don't wanna hard change it in the file for easy future updating and as said i just took raw dumps so the format isnt a problem, kinda only need it for item tooltips using currently the wowhead ones.

And while just relooking at your site I must been blind to not see the part about using the tooltips without url.

I will add that to the todo-list. :-)

It's there, search for "You may also set up an item tooltip on any html element manually:" on the website. *g*
Reply Quote
2 Blood Elf Rogue
It's there, search for "You may also set up an item tooltip on any html element manually:" on the website. *g*

I meant with it I found it and wondering how i could oversee it in the first :P
Reply Quote
2 Tauren Druid
very nice :) Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Great work, great work.

Request sticky.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
This is awesome. I'm going to add it to ahspy.com for sure. Thanks for this great ressource!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Looks nice. Just a question before I test it out.

I currently load up jQuery from the Google API (http://code.google.com/apis/libraries/devguide.html). Is there a way to not load it with your system or does it check to see if jQuery is already loaded first?
Reply Quote
3 Night Elf Druid
Looks nice. Just a question before I test it out.

I currently load up jQuery from the Google API (http://code.google.com/apis/libraries/devguide.html). Is there a way to not load it with your system or does it check to see if jQuery is already loaded first?

Yes, i got that covered. I'm using yepnope to test if jQuery is already loaded. If it is, I won't load it again. :-)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Some oddities I've noticed:

If you set the js and css files in the config to be abo*!%%e (http://www.example.com/js/wdt/jquery.qtip.min.js) instead of relative (/js/wdt/jquery.qtip.min.js) it takes a long time to load the tooltip, but only on Chrome.

Also sometimes I push Shift a bunch of times but nothing happens.

Really loving it, already using it in a few places on my site.
Reply Quote
3 Night Elf Druid
Some oddities I've noticed:

If you set the js and css files in the config to be absolute (http://www.example.com/js/wdt/jquery.qtip.min.js) instead of relative (/js/wdt/jquery.qtip.min.js) it takes a long time to load the tooltip, but only on Chrome.

Also sometimes I push Shift a bunch of times but nothing happens.

Really loving it, already using it in a few places on my site.

Thanks for the feedback. :-)

Concerning the long loading times, I noticed that one too, on Chrome, yes. I'm still investigating the issue. It may be an issue with yepnope on Chrome.

If you push Shift and nothing happens, then your browser window does not have focus. That happens on Chrome at times if the developer tools are launched. Just click inside the window to focus it and try again. This is nothing I can fix, just the way the browser works. :-D
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Cool, good to hear you're aware of those issues. Thanks again.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Mage
Nice to see u again in the US community Rhil ;)

To his realm status, and wdt tipps i used it for a longer time and are totally happy. It is a high reliably script for big systems to.

(Never ever get the message "Character not found again" ;p )

I use it because
1. Its faster than other systems like wowhead
2. It is high reliably
3. It save traffic cost

Deex

German Community Project API DEV's
Edited by Deex on 8/24/2011 6:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]