Fire Mage Mastery Build

90 Goblin Priest
Ok so I love being a fire mage, however it bugs me how proc and crit dependant it can, or will always, be. I either top the charts or fall completely flat, and all while I'm doing it all the same way. So I took a little while one day to start building a fire spec which I could make that isn't so proc dependant. Boy I think I found it.

Here's my tree
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Gitbsee/talent/primary

Here's my character
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Gitbsee/advanced

And as I look at that ... I'm missing a chimera's eye slot :-o oops. lol

Anyways, I maintained hit cap, then reforged everything to mastery. Everything. My mastery is up to 16.2, which gives 42% more power to dot's. When paired with the moonwell chalice (1700 mastery,) burn effects go through the roof. I have had ignites burn for 11-13k every 2 seconds. And my average combustion is 6-8k every second. Highest combustion I ever had was with this spec.. 13k /sec. :-O

I can hear the arguments, "Hey... you need haste haste haste... with all your long casts, you need 12% for your extra tick, and not to mention crit.. what is wrong with you??" And I wouldn't disagree with that. However, with the numbers I've been putting out lately, I would.

It feels more like a warlock, keeping rotating dot's up as much as possible. And with fire dot's better than lock dot's.. it adds up. It's taken some playing with the rotation, but I think I have nailed it. Pyro open, LB, FFBx3 for the dot, then same classic proc reaction. Combustion, mirror image, trinkets, etc. asap off cooldowns. (everyday dps stuff anyways) On multiple targets, always dot at least 3 for pyromaniac haste buff, dot one target as much as possible, then ignite. And yes ... you can "control" when you get an ignite, just pop off a few blast waves and flamestrikes to search for the proc. Works every time with multiple targets.

I had always been on the top of the dps chart in my guild, now it's much more stabilized. Not only in dps numbers, but overall damage output is at least 10-15% higher on any given fight. No more swings from 8-20k. I can stay a consistent 19-26k on your average raid trash and raid bosses. (Actually pulled 34.5 on a molten lord in firelands trash... who says fire mage "can't single target".) And in AOE damage, I make everybody else look like 5 year olds smashing the keyboard with a rock. Also on firelands trash, I ripped off an incredible 172k dps on a set of scorpions. Yes ... that was 1-7-2 THOUSAND dps. And that's not a one shot pop like a boomy, that was a sustained, damage over time nuke. If i remember the numbers correctly, my first pyro opener was a crit, that ignite was ~9-10k per 2 sec, FFB dot only once, and the combustion was ~11k or so. Now spread all of those dot's (4) and 3 LB's, to every target in the group. Add some blast wave/flamestrikes, arcane explosions, and boomshakalaka. I know it's trash, but I did 98% of the damage on that group. lol. And I'm not even the best geared dps in the guild. There' a boomy, hunter, and ret pally that all have me outgeared. Never outnumbered though. :-)

Let me know what you all think. I'm not going to even say this is the greatest spec ever, or even that it will work for anybody but myself. It works best for how I play my mage. "To each his own" I guess, but open discussion!
Reply Quote
Ok so I love being a fire mage, however it bugs me how proc and crit dependant it can, or will always, be. I either top the charts or fall completely flat, and all while I'm doing it all the same way. So I took a little while one day to start building a fire spec which I could make that isn't so proc dependant. Boy I think I found it.

Here's my tree
<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Gitbsee/talent/primary">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Gitbsee/talent/primary</a>

Here's my character
<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Gitbsee/advanced">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Gitbsee/advanced</a>

And as I look at that ... I'm missing a chimera's eye slot :-o oops. lol

Anyways, I maintained hit cap, then reforged everything to mastery. Everything. My mastery is up to 16.2, which gives 42% more power to dot's. When paired with the moonwell chalice (1700 mastery,) burn effects go through the roof. I have had ignites burn for 11-13k every 2 seconds. And my average combustion is 6-8k every second. Highest combustion I ever had was with this spec.. 13k /sec. :-O

I can hear the arguments, "Hey... you need haste haste haste... with all your long casts, you need 12% for your extra tick, and not to mention crit.. what is wrong with you??" And I wouldn't disagree with that. However, with the numbers I've been putting out lately, I would.

It feels more like a warlock, keeping rotating dot's up as much as possible. And with fire dot's better than lock dot's.. it adds up. It's taken some playing with the rotation, but I think I have nailed it. Pyro open, LB, FFBx3 for the dot, then same classic proc reaction. Combustion, mirror image, trinkets, etc. asap off cooldowns. (everyday dps stuff anyways) On multiple targets, always dot at least 3 for pyromaniac haste buff, dot one target as much as possible, then ignite. And yes ... you can "control" when you get an ignite, just pop off a few blast waves and flamestrikes to search for the proc. Works every time with multiple targets.

I had always been on the top of the dps chart in my guild, now it's much more stabilized. Not only in dps numbers, but overall damage output is at least 10-15% higher on any given fight. No more swings from 8-20k. I can stay a consistent 19-26k on your average raid trash and raid bosses. (Actually pulled 34.5 on a molten lord in firelands trash... who says fire mage "can't single target".) And in AOE damage, I make everybody else look like 5 year olds smashing the keyboard with a rock. Also on firelands trash, I ripped off an incredible 172k dps on a set of scorpions. Yes ... that was 1-7-2 THOUSAND dps. And that's not a one shot pop like a boomy, that was a sustained, damage over time nuke. If i remember the numbers correctly, my first pyro opener was a crit, that ignite was ~9-10k per 2 sec, FFB dot only once, and the combustion was ~11k or so. Now spread all of those dot's (4) and 3 LB's, to every target in the group. Add some blast wave/flamestrikes, arcane explosions, and boomshakalaka. I know it's trash, but I did 98% of the damage on that group. lol. And I'm not even the best geared dps in the guild. There' a boomy, hunter, and ret pally that all have me outgeared. Never outnumbered though. :-)

Let me know what you all think. I'm not going to even say this is the greatest spec ever, or even that it will work for anybody but myself. It works best for how I play my mage. "To each his own" I guess, but open discussion!

tl;dr you replaced fb with ffb
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
No, it's supposed to be FFB. That's the point of the build.
Reply Quote
08/22/2011 07:45 AMPosted by Gitbse

you took a normal fire build and replaced the main nuke (fireball) with FFB.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
08/22/2011 07:45 AMPosted by Gitbse

Except that FFB and Fireball builds are functionally identical. The only noticeable difference is the colour of the main nuke.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
I am slightly confused. Is this something you are tailoring for heroic dungeons? I presume not since you are above the 17% raid hit cap. But you haven't killed any bosses on your mage this expansion except for stuff in BoT/BWD and Argaloth. No boss kills in Firelands, not even Shannox. But you are talking about dps on FL trash mobs.

Or is this just a build to optimize for "/2 LFG FL Trash Rep Farming"? Even so, the 17% hit is more than what would be needed.
Reply Quote
6 Worgen Druid
very cute
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Doesn't the Shatter + Improved Cone of Cold spec already guarantee crits with Nova->Scorch+Impact into CoC->Pyroblast?

Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
i do the same thing (mostly) for my fire mage. playing pvp, i hit cap at 4% instead of 17%, so the rest of that hit rating i have as mastery. only difference in my talent spec over yours is using blazing speed instead of pyromaniac (and my glyphs are different).

personally, i found mastery to fit my playing style more, but it makes me happy to see there's another fire mage doing very close to the same. my dots do over 47% extra damage with my mastery. they HURT people even with good resilience. badly.

i would argue that depending on your playing style, shatter or some other crit-based spec for fire mages is the way to go. but for me, and as what seems to be the case for the OP, a mastery build works better. i'm interested in knowing if other people have tried this and roll with it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
08/22/2011 07:54 AMPosted by Olo

The difference between and reason why I use FFB instead of fireball is the DOT. FB has no dot, FFB does. That's it. Maximizing the damage going out over a period of time rather than hoping for a proc here and there. And yes ... shatter helps improve crit. Not enough points, and really no functional use for dps, my pvp spec includes those points in frost to increase crit. Nothing like getting a hot streak, freezing somebody then dumping an instant pyro in their face.

And about the raiding, first of all I am on an RP server. There's reason #1. Even though I have never dropped a FL boss, I am still the #4 geared fire mage on the server, and #4 overall geared in my guild. The other three above me are hardcore raiding guilds. My guild is more for social, and we raid casually. We are a bit behind the curve, I keep bugging them to start doing at least heroic raids, and I'm dying to do some FL.
Edited by Gitbse on 8/22/2011 3:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
And Zothen... BoT and BWD are on this expansion.. case you haven't noticed. You really think at this gear level that I'm tailoring for heroics? come on
Reply Quote
You stack mastery, use a normal fire build and use frostfire bolt. Youre not the first to try it. It doesn’t alter your rotation and it doesn’t “fit your playstyle better” because it’s the same thing.

Also, your extensive testing on firelands trash doesn’t mean anything.
Edited by Olo on 8/22/2011 4:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
08/22/2011 07:09 AMPosted by Gitbse

There's a reason that haste is the best stat ... because it mathematically puts out the best numbers. Anecdotal evidence of the numbers you put out really isn't a convincing argument. If you want to play all mastery, use FFB, and have fun with it, then that's great. You mentioned that you aren't a serious raider and your guild isn't trying to kill heroic content, so you'll be just fine doing it your way. But its not the best way to do it and there really isn't any discussion to be had about it.

Also, the problem you are overlooking with FFB is that you are constantly overwriting the DoT every couple of seconds. You never get the full benefit of it and that cuts down on its effectiveness.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]