Conjure your solution to actual BoAs!

(Locked)

Hello forum goers, community managers and sneaky developers, my name is Kefgarr and I would like to speak about BoAs and why they're not transferrable to other characters on the same account.

We hear/read things every now and then about BoAs and the restrictions, the efforts, the complications, etc; but let's delve a bit deeper and see what ideas you've come across, Blizzard? I've seen some good ones mentioned on the forums by other posters and have even thought of them myself.

So I've created this thread not to complain that the BoAs are not BoA; not to complain about about how OP they are in battlegrounds (Tears, so delicious); not to complain about how long it's taking Blizzard; but to further assist Blizzard in the genesis of TRUE bind on account equipment!

So my suggestion starts with Mr. Chilly.

How did you create this game code? I logged on for WoW's fourth (I think) anniversary, got a pet that will now forever be sent to every new character I make, Horde or Alliance. Can you not start with this idea?

Sure, it fills inboxes with unnecessary gear, but! Mail can be deleted; so can gear. What about if I wanted it back after deletion? What am I going to do (as a Rogue, for example) with wussy cloth gear, int leather, or mail/plate gear I cannot wear? In some dire circumstance where (now I'm a Druid) I need that int gear, a ticket could place the gear back on the character. These tickets should not increase SLA very much at all as only stupid people (wait...) would put in a ticket for an absurd reason.

Still, this is a start. Blizzard could fine tune this with ease, I'm sure. I'm no developer/programmer/coder/etc, but it is easy to take something that exists and modify it (No jab intended on Cata content; I personally enjoy my game time. I do this with HTML at times as well. :) ) and make it so it recognizes your class type and gives you only your specified armor (Like satchel of helpful goods. It's not always helpful, but it's always the same gear type).

Etc etc.

Thoughts? Own opinions? Add to it and let's finally solve the developers' dilemma!

Edit: I'm really not looking for you to argue with me or call me stupid with my idea. It's my idea; I'm asking for your own contribution to a solution, not your aggressive attitude to establish the fact that my idea may not be the best, or Blizzard wants something else, or has already thought of something else. For those new to the thread, please read a little closer and take the subject seriously "Conjure your solution to actual BoAs!"
Edited by Kefgarr on 8/22/2011 8:16 PM PDT
Items auto-sent to new characters fails, as what about that expensive enchant you got for it?

Bliz is working on getting a system going, but they're waiting on the Battle.net staff, not the WoW team for it, and they're busy with SC2 expac and Diablo 3.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The devs dont want band aid solutions that create as many problems as they solve. They want to figure out a way to do it by revamping the mail system to work cross-server. And using the mail by actually sending the BoA in question and not flooding the database with multiple copies of BoA items. Thus any suggestions other than code that will help them revamp their mail system is wasting your breath (or forum space).
90 Draenei Mage
BoAs are actually BoA right now. They are bound to your account and can't leave it. That is what BoA means.

With that said, the devs have said the best way to get it done is to upgrade the mail system to work cross-server and that is what they are working on.

08/22/2011 07:13 PMPosted by Solaru
With that said, the devs have said the best way to get it done is to upgrade the mail system to work cross-server and that is what they are working on.

Yeah, and that requires creating new coding, or some extensive recoding. I'm suggesting modifying existing coding and tweaking it a bit, if possible, which would be less extensive in my opinion.

Basically the way I look at the coding:

If account = logged in during 4th anniversary, award penguin in mailbox for every new character creation /

BoA = item c1-5, l1-5, m1-5, p1-5, u1-5 (U is for univeral, like trinkets and whatnot)
Class = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (etc)
If account = BoA item l1, l2 (Leather gear), purchased on account, class = 2 (leather user), mail items for compatible character creation.

etc.
6 Undead Warrior
someone call?

ps. Solaru is right.
Edited by Deadhorse on 8/22/2011 7:31 PM PDT
100 Undead Death Knight
Mr. Chilly was from upgrading your WoW account to a Battle.NET Account before it was mandatory.

The change, and thus the flagging that causes your characters to have a penguin appear in their mailboxes, happened outside the game, while logged out.

Heirlooms (which are, in fact, BoA already) are purchased within the game.

The systems are noncompatible for technical and logistical reasons.
90 Draenei Mage
08/22/2011 07:28 PMPosted by Kefgarr
Yeah, and that requires creating new coding, or some extensive recoding. I'm suggesting modifying existing coding and tweaking it a bit, if possible, which would be less extensive in my opinion.

Sorry if I take the word of the people that actually work on the servers and program the game when they say that upgrading the mail system is the best way to go.

BTW...the anniversary pets are not mailed to all your toons, only pets and mounts obtained outside the game are.
08/22/2011 07:34 PMPosted by Frosthawk
Mr. Chilly was from upgrading your WoW account to a Battle.NET Account before it was mandatory.

08/22/2011 07:36 PMPosted by Solaru
BTW...the anniversary pets are not mailed to all your toons, only pets and mounts obtained outside the game are.
Yes, I may be thinking of the Onyxian Whelping. Still, I'm not sure. I think I indicated that, but it was an example of coding to be used, either way. Enough hanging on to silly semantics.

The change, and thus the flagging that causes your characters to have a penguin appear in their mailboxes, happened outside the game, while logged out.

Heirlooms (which are, in fact, BoA already) are purchased within the game.

The systems are noncompatible for technical and logistical reasons.
Really? You would think it's not logical?

If = purchased l1(leather piece 1), then award Battle.net item=123456. It then requires subsequent coding to implement it's application to new character creations.

I love coding for the fact that you can tell it to do anything you want it to, within the limitations of the parent program(or insert other whatever here).

And, Unhatched Mr. Chilly item is still earned in-game as a learnable item, obviously. It can be done the same, or slightly differently.

I'm really not asking for arguments on how my idea fails, but instead on how to assist Blizzard in expediting the implementation of what we're all yearning for (well, most of us. I personally don't even care, but I'm strange and helpful like that).

Normally I read about rebelliion, intuitiveness, and innovation. Right now this thread's replies consist of sheep.

Sorry if I take the word of the people that actually work on the servers and program the game when they say that upgrading the mail system is the best way to go.
Oh yeah, and that's their current outlook on things. The community has often suggested alternatives and opportunities within enhancing the game. Thanks, sheep.
Edited by Kefgarr on 8/22/2011 7:46 PM PDT
15 Tauren Paladin
I'm really not asking for arguments on how my idea fails, but instead on how to assist Blizzard in expediting the implementation of what we're all yearning for (well, most of us. I personally don't even care, but I'm strange and helpful like that).

Normally I read about rebelliion, intuitiveness, and innovation. Right now this thread's replies consist of sheep.

Oh yeah, and that's their current outlook on things. The community has often suggested alternatives and opportunities within enhancing the game. Thanks, sheep.

She's actually a space goat... there's a difference.

And just because someone disagrees with you, that doesn't make them sheep.

Blizzard does not want to turn heirlooms into "buy 1/buy multiple copies". You're buying 1 instance of a single item. Period. This is how Blizzard wants it, and this is how many people (who aren't lazy) think it should remain.

Blizzard wants it this way for a reason, and just because you're impatient, or have a difference of opinion on the matter, that doesn't give you the right to insult others for having their own opinions especially when they are presenting them in a mature manner. There's no need for ad hominem attacks.
90 Draenei Mage
08/22/2011 07:43 PMPosted by Kefgarr
Yes, I may be thinking of the Onyxian Whelping. Still, I'm not sure. I think I indicated that, but it was an example of coding to be used, either way. Enough hanging on to silly semantics.
Sorry if you missed what I was saying...there is no system inplace for your account flags to be changed by the game. The pets you get in game are not mailed to you but the ones that are obtained out of game are when B.Net changes those flags. Having the game change those flags are a different matter.

Oh yeah, and that's their current outlook on things. The community has often suggested alternatives and opportunities within enhancing the game.

LMAO...do you think you are the first person in the past 3 years to suggest this? You are not some special little snowflake with an initiative idea.

Blizz did not just put a bunch of ideas on how to do it on the wall and toss a dart to make a choice. Maybe if you had ever worked on the servers or programed on the game you might have some idea about what you are talking about but..in your own words...
08/22/2011 06:53 PMPosted by Kefgarr
I'm no developer/programmer/coder/etc

Leave it to the professionals.
08/22/2011 08:02 PMPosted by Holyfrikncow
She's actually a space goat... there's a difference.
Listen, cow.

08/22/2011 08:02 PMPosted by Holyfrikncow
And just because someone disagrees with you, that doesn't make them sheep.
I'm not saying that disagreement=sheep, I'm saying that Blizzard says, so I concur=sheep. I'm not asking for Blizzard's ideas, I'm asking for your own. Give me your own, not Blizzard's. Don't argue with me, I don't think my idea is THAT spectacular or innovative; I have had it on the mind as a solution for quite some time, though.

Either way, I'm not looking to be some

08/22/2011 08:04 PMPosted by Solaru
some special little snowflake
but instead a pioneer of sorts to engage in a solution to assist Blizzard, as most of us want the solution.

Often the best ideas come from the inspiration of another.
15 Tauren Paladin
08/22/2011 08:09 PMPosted by Kefgarr
I'm not saying that disagreement=sheep, I'm saying that Blizzard says, so I concur=sheep. I'm not asking for Blizzard's ideas, I'm asking for your own. Give me your own, not Blizzard's. Don't argue with me, I don't think my idea is THAT spectacular or innovative; I have had it on the mind as a solution for quite some time, though.

However, in this case, Blizzard's solution is the most elegant and correct solution. Your suggestion is rather lazy and sloppy. Your idea is not new, it's been suggested since the day Blizzard added the "bound to account' labeling (or variations thereof), and it is a crude solution to a simple problem that requires a complex solution.

No need to get snippy or rude, but Blizzard is doing it the right way, and if you want to get free heirloom gear instantly on all your toons, it's not going to happen.

In your OP, you say "let's finally solve the developers' dilemma!"... they already have a solution, it's just not finished yet.

Often the best ideas come from the inspiration of another.

Just not in this particular case.
Edited by Holyfrikncow on 8/22/2011 8:20 PM PDT
90 Goblin Death Knight
Somebody is super mad.
90 Draenei Mage
but instead a pioneer of sorts to engage in a solution to assist Blizzard

Pioneer? Maybe you missed that you are not the first to suggest this in the past 3 years. :)

I'm saying that Blizzard says, so I concur=sheep

I hear that when matter enters a black hole that it is preserved and that black holes are not an exception the law of conservation of matter. Does that make me a sheep for deferring to the expertize of cutting edge physicists that know way more than I do? Same thing here, Blizz knows way more about how their system works than you or I. There are no facts that you, or anyone else, has been able to produce to dissuade me and others from believing Blizz. Come at us with facts and expert opinions....then we'll talk.

Edit: I have been watching Through the Wormhole while mining and herbing lately...if you could not tell :P
Edited by Solaru on 8/22/2011 8:23 PM PDT

I'm not saying that disagreement=sheep, I'm saying that Blizzard says, so I concur=sheep.

God forbid Blizzard ever says that humans need to breathe oxygen to live.

I'm not asking for Blizzard's ideas, I'm asking for your own. Give me your own, not Blizzard's. Don't argue with me, I don't think my idea is THAT spectacular or innovative; I have had it on the mind as a solution for quite some time, though.

Either way, I'm not looking to be some

08/22/2011 08:04 PMPosted by Solaru
some special little snowflake
but instead a pioneer of sorts to engage in a solution to assist Blizzard, as most of us want the solution.

You're as much a pioneer with this suggestion as someone going from England to discover the americas right now. Had you bothered to check, you'd have seen that this route has been well travelled and shown to lead to a dead end. You still haven't answered my point about enchants.
However, in this case, Blizzard's solution is the most elegant and correct solution. Your suggestion is rather lazy and sloppy. Your idea is not new, it's been suggested since the day Blizzard added the "bound to account' labeling (or variations thereof), and it is a crude solution to a simple problem that requires a complex solution.

No need to get snippy or rude, but Blizzard is doing it the right way, and if you want to get free heirloom gear instantly on all your toons, it's not going to happen.
Again, I'm not asking for you to tell me my idea is horrible, I'm asking for your contribution to a solution. Can you do that, instead of shutting me down? I'm not intending to be snippy or rude, but all I'm getting is arrogance and sheep toward my idea instead of individuals thinking for themselves and providing their ideas.

So, in your opinion, how do you think Blizzard could implement this mailing system that you (or whoever) yearn for? The existing complication is that Blizzard is currently unable to find a way to send items between servers, between factions. The neutral AH is about the only thing that can go between faction, but is limited to server. Nothing that I know of can be sent between servers with the exception of battle.net items like Mr. Chilly.

Would it really hurt to say "battle.net account has acquired leather gears 2, 3, 5. Battle.net has detected creation of leather wearer; send leather gears 2, 3, 5 to mailbox." and at that point, we choose whether or not we want them.

How about an alternate solution, then? Can you help me think of one?

What about a BoA void storage that's accessible to all accounts via specific NPCs located in all major cities/starting grounds/etc.
08/22/2011 08:21 PMPosted by Solaru
but instead a pioneer of sorts to engage in a solution to assist Blizzard

Pioneer? Maybe you missed that you are not the first to suggest this in the past 3 years. :)

I'm saying that Blizzard says, so I concur=sheep

I hear that when matter enters a black hole that it is preserved and that black holes are not an exception the law of conservation of matter. Does that make me a sheep for deferring to the expertize of cutting edge physicists that know way more than I do? Same thing here, Blizz knows way more about how their system works than you or I. There are no facts that you, or anyone else, has been able to produce to dissuade me and others from believing Blizz. Come at us with facts and expert opinions....then we'll talk.

Edit: I have been watching Through the Wormhole while mining and herbing lately...if you could not tell :P

Lol.. What am I suggesting though? I've given an idea, but what I'm suggesting is give your own idea and let's work together. Again and again, I'm not saying my idea is absolute; I'm just giving an example--which is not what I mean as pioneering... what I meant was working together and yearning for a solution.

I guess team work is really unheard of.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]