Disc priest, Healing or DPS?

85 Gnome Warlock
Hello all, I'm in the process of leveling a priest and I'm having quite a bit of fun healing but recently I was speaking with a guild mate who continued to trash talk his Five-man group because the priest was Disc spec.

My question to the priest community is, are Disc priests not considered healers? He claimed that they are only meant to do DPS, my understanding was while they could certainly DPS it was still primarily a healing spec, designed mostly for Single-target healing and damage mitigation with DPS abilities to create side-effects to augment both damage and healing. Needless to say the argument ended with him claiming I had no Idea what I was talking about because I was a Warlock and that he as a Druid knew more about healing and healing classes though he's Balance.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Oh also, as far as I'm concerned the argument truly is over I only ask for my own peace of mind and so I know what the different priest specs do and their roles.
Reply Quote
12 Orc Warlock
Disc is for healing only. It's arguably even better than holy ATM. Disc is healing, Holy is healing, Shadow is dps. Your guild mate doesn't have a clue.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
08/30/2011 11:16 AMPosted by Nixx
Disc is first and foremost a healing spec that is also capable of doing mediocre DPS with a Smite/Evangelism build.

This, 100%.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
That's what I thought, and he wasn't trolling was actually getting quite upset as the debate/argument went on. Frequently comparing Balance with Disc saying things like Disc can heal in the way that you could ask a Balance druid to chip in, yeah they can do it but suck at it. He just wouldn't listen to reason
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Please tell me he isn't a priest. :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
He must be one of those people that only look at meters, and worse yet... only look at meters that don't include absorbs.
Reply Quote
08/30/2011 11:22 AMPosted by Galwrith
That's what I thought, and he wasn't trolling was actually getting quite upset as the debate/argument went on. Frequently comparing Balance with Disc saying things like Disc can heal in the way that you could ask a Balance druid to chip in, yeah they can do it but suck at it. He just wouldn't listen to reason

I would die if this person was in my guild.
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
i would challenge him/her to make a dps disc that can match a moonkin in comparable gear...somehow i cant help but think there's a small portion of WoW's player base that thinks if 'resto' or 'holy' arent the title of your spec you must not be a TRUE healer...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yup, all these folks are right, and its hard to be more wrong than your guild mate. Disc priests make damn good healers and in no way can be concidered dps.
The damage that they do is only meant as a way to augment their healing abilites and/or as a filler for low heal moments in fights.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Death Knight
Disc is the unkillable healer spec, you know how the holy priests can still heal when they die, but no1 can hurt them? Disc is like that when still alive.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
08/30/2011 01:10 PMPosted by Eradikador
Disc is the unkillable healer spec, you know how the holy priests can still heal when they die, but no1 can hurt them? Disc is like that when still alive.

This is incredibly funny coming from a DK, who can literally 100-0 a priest in like 10seconds if you time your CD's with necrotic stack correctly..
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
OP-

Do your guild, wow, and humanity in general a favor have troll that idiot guildie to /q guild, wow, and life. That much stupidity shouldn't be allowed to exist in one body.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
The OP literally made me sick with this story. It is scary to think that there are people in the community who DON'T know that Discipline Priests heal. SCARY!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
08/30/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Galwrith
Hello all, I'm in the process of leveling a priest and I'm having quite a bit of fun healing but recently I was speaking with a guild mate who continued to trash talk his Five-man group because the priest was Disc spec.

These are people that have never played a priest. While at Cata launch they were actually correct (disc just didn't scale with gear at the time), the idea that disc can't effectively heal 5 mans persists. I regularly heal troll heroics in 359 gear with my PvP disc spec.

08/30/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Galwrith
e claimed that they are only meant to do DPS

Stay far away from this person, as he fails to grasp even the basic role of a disc priest. Disc is a healing spec with a focus around absorbs. These absorbs prevent damage rather than reverse it. This is a theme seen throughout the tree, for example with spells like Pain Suppression and Power Word: Barrier.

The idea that disc can DPS is actually true but incomplete. The added DPS given by Evan/AA specs is meant to synergize with Atonement, which actually makes disc DPS convert to healing. Because disc DPS is lackluster at best, Atonement specs are not used in endgame play except in very niche situations, the best of which so far has been on heroic Halfus. Because of the additional damage Halfus takes due to the mechanics of the fight, a disc priest in Atonement spec actually puts out some stupid high HPS numbers while also contributing significantly to raid DPS.

TL;DR - disc isn't a dps tree, but has a (very) limited capacity to heal via dpsing. Disc's primary function is that of healing.
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Priest
I leveled disc. Low levels I would top both dps and heals. (I queued as a healer, but just smite spammed and even used sw:p and dps-penance).

I recently hit 85 and decided to try healing heroics as disc, it is actually quite good. Pain surpression + pw:barrier help makeup for tanks that don't know they have CDs.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
I was running a Zul'aman a few days ago and I had this paladin tank. He said to me "Wtf, our healer is a dps!". I was astounded, he refused to pull until I got kicked. Luckily the other members had an ounce of sense in them, and we waited it out and kicked him. Sad too, he had a lot of 359 gear and his VP 2-piece.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
lack of a good AoE heal kinda sucks

but still very doable and actually fun
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]