[SOLVED] Initializing please wait

90 Night Elf Druid
After spending a lot of time attempting to get the patch installed (Spent 6 hours on Initializing please wait) and waiting hours for replies on blizzards forums (None of which seamed to work) I did some research myself and found a site that has very good instructions to manually install the patch file. I provided a link below hope it helps you guys just did it on my PC works great (after I did the update I just ran wow directly bypassing the launcher

Here is the update I did that worked.
Step 1 - Go to: http://patchup.info/downloads
Step 2 - Download the top one (wow-0-14545-Win-final.MPQ - Windows )
Step 3 - Rename wow-0-14545-Win-final.MPQ TO wow-patch.MPQ
Step 4 - Copy wow-patch.MPQ (File we just renamed) to C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft
Step 5 - In the World of Warcraft folder, Run Blizzard Updater and it should update.
Step 6 - Run wow.exe from the World of Warcraft folder (Didn't try it with launcher).
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Sticky this please. Launcher still doesn't work but running WoW.exe works.
Reply Quote
66 Undead Rogue
just spent 1.5 hours trying to get this patch. found this thread, took less than a minute and im in game.

pls to fix your tools bliz, really shouldnt be hard...

also pls sticky this or at least keep it bumped :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
im on a mac, this was one of the firsts things i did...here is the result:

/Applications/World of Warcraft/Data/base-OSX.MPQ" could not be opened, because an error 108 occurred. If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (OpenArchive::Execute)

any clues??
Reply Quote
86 Orc Shaman
Wouldn't update for me. :/
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue

Happymookin ... YOU ARE MY HERO (HEROINE?). I would NEVER figured this out!
Thank you and others out there like you that help those of us that aren't tech savvy enough to figure it out ourselves. You are VERY much appreciated! And thank God for Google!
Michael Mauzey
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight

/Applications/World of Warcraft/Data/base-OSX.MPQ" could not be opened, because an error 108 occurred. If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (OpenArchive::Execute)

any clues??
In the same website you downloaded the patch you can download the base-(Win/OSX).MPQ file (Pick the one for your OS)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

any clues??

I'm not really sure about Mac but the file you need to download is the second one (wow-0-14545-OSX-final.MPQ) Do the rename and run the blizzard updater and it should work.
I did some research some people had issues with the PTR same problem you are having here is the thread: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2674977644 check and see if you have the base-OSX.MPQ file first if you don't you can try to download it from http://patchup.info/downloads/ however that is an older version back in June so I am not sure if it will work or not just a suggestion (More of a Windows person then mac but I'll try to help you out)

Wouldn't update for me. :/

Windows or Mac and what happens when you attempt to do it? Keep in mind do NOT run the game using the launcher as the launcher still appears to be broken you will need to run the game directly wow.exe
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Happymookin ... YOU ARE MY HERO (HEROINE?). I would NEVER figured this out!
Thank you and others out there like you that help those of us that aren't tech savvy enough to figure it out ourselves. You are VERY much appreciated! And thank God for Google!
Michael Mauzey

You are more then welcome my friend, Hopefully I saved some of you hours of being stuck like I had to go through lol.
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Druid
Just right click WoW and Run As Administrator to get past these patch issues.

Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I was stuck on initializing, please wait... After hours of trying everything under the sun, this works. Thank you Happymoonkin!
Reply Quote
Worked for me too!

Thanks.

If only blues were as helpful...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Awesome! This worked for me as well. Thanks for the information.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Just a quick note I run my install from another drive the updater only seems to look in

C:\program Files\World of Warcraft\

for the update when i created and copied the file in the instructions above worked like a charm.

the launcher is prob having a simlar issue

and Thank very much Happymoonkin
Edited by Stealthed on 8/31/2011 6:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Works. Thank you.
Reply Quote
12 Orc Shaman
Nice, thanks.. a lot ^^
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I followed the steps, but when I attempted Step 5 the Blizzard updater was unable to start up, stating "The file 'wow.exe' could not be found. If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support." When I search my program files for wow.exe nothing turns up. Has anyone else run into this issue? I am running Windows 7.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
thanks for this.. after hours of waiting.. and 2 hours on the phone with a blizzard tech they still couldn't get me past the please wait ... this wasn't even a suggestion.. and it "has" to be a problem with MY computer... sorry to see others with this problem but glad to see I'm not the only one that is having the issue.. Another 2 hours with another blizzard tech today and same results but this one did at least tell me to look here .. thanks so much for the help.. game is up and running and my grandson can stop saying.. can I play yet.. can I play yet.. can I play yet.. lol
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'll paste here basically the same thing as above. But what I personally did in hopes more people will forum search and find this topic.

This will not fix the launcher.exe "Initializing, please wait" message, but it should allow you to play.

- Navigate to your World of Warcraft folder via Windows Explorer.
- Run BackgroundDownloader.exe
- After its done Navigate to your Updates folder for "wow-0-14545-Win-final.MPQ"
- Right click and copy
- Navigate back to your World of Warcraft folder, right click paste
- You should see "wow-0-14545-Win-final.MPQ" in the same folder as wow.exe, launcher.exe, BackgroundDownloader.exe
- Rename "wow-0-14545-Win-final.MPQ" to "wow-patch.MPQ"
- Run "Blizzard Updater.exe"
- Run "wow.exe" game should start and run fine.

Until launcher.exe is fixed, you will need to run WoW directly from wow.exe. I created a new shortcut on my desktop.
- Navigate to your World of Warcraft folder via Windows Explorer.
- Right click wow.exe
- Select Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut)
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Druid
tyvm for help
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]